Help with hotkeys

_Charlie

I'm running OBS on Ubunutu 22.04.1. When launching OBS through my user, hotkeys do not work unless OBS is the active window. I can fix this by launching it as root or via sudo, but any output is then owned by root, and therefore inaccessible without first changing the owner or permissions. Is there any way to make the hotkeys work without running OBS as root or automatically change the permissions/owner of outputted files?

_Charlie

I managed to make a solution by creating a shell script that recursively changes the owner and group of every file in my output folder, so I simply have to enter my password in once and everything is changed.

DiabolicalGolem

I found a solution for Ubuntu 22.04.3.
Grigio has made a CLI implementation for OBS that allows you to toggle on and off or otherwise change different things about OBS (https://github.com/grigio/obs-cmd).
To allow `obs-cmd` to interface with hotkeys, you can go to: Settings>Keyboard>View and Customize Shortcuts>Custom Shortcuts
When you add a custom shortcut, you must prefix it with: sh -c "<obs-cmd command here>"
otherwise, the command will not execute.

It took me a bit to figure this out, hopefully, this helps any wayward soul who has stumbled across this.