HELP: Why the Heck Is OBS Virtual Camera Showing up As WebCam??

Barryb64

Very recently, I purchased a new Dell Micro PC with Windows 10 Pro. I've a Logitech C920 WebCam Pro that worked fine on my Windows 10 Home laptop and it was doing fine on this system. Then, I installed OBS Studio to record videos and do some livestreaming. My system is an i7 PC with 16GB of Ram and I don't have any other webcam. I've not even installed OBS Virtual Camera.

Yet, it is showing up as a default webcam when opening Zoom or OBS Studio. It doesn't happen too often and it's easily fixed; however, it's a pain in the neck and I've no idea of why it's happening. I didn't even name it as a Device Source Input. Any idea of why it is showing up? Thanks.

koala

It's showing up as webcam, because it is a webcam. It's virtual, that means the video isn't generated by a physical device but by some piece of software, but it implements the webcam API for Windows, so it's showing up as webcam. That's the purpose of the whole thing.

It's installed by the OBS installer. If you want to get rid of it, call "C:\Program Files\obs-studio\data\obs-plugins\win-dshow\virtualcam-uninstall.bat" as administrator.

Harold

What you were expecting to install with the virtual camera plugin isn't what you're looking at in zoom/etc.

OBS Studio includes a (slightly limted) virtual camera output by default.

Barryb64

It's installed by the OBS installer. If you want to get rid of it, call "C:\Program Files\obs-studio\data\obs-plugins\win-dshow\virtualcam-uninstall.bat" as administrator.
\Ok. Thanks. Before I go rush in and delet it, I'd like to find out more about it. How is its video qulity; as opposed to what I get with my webcamera?

Barryb64

What you were expecting to install with the virtual camera plugin isn't what you're looking at in zoom/etc.

OBS Studio includes a (slightly limted) virtual camera output by default.

So, if I find that the virtual web camera is of value, then I'd be best to use the full one and not the default limited version. I'll keep that in mind.

By the way, I laughed at your tagline! Hilarious!