Question / Help Help! Recording lags a lot. I dont know how to fix it

DrVintage

Hello, I am having problems getting the right quality for my recordings so I can upload them to youtube. Well I have noticed every time I record I get a stutter or fps lag. Or I even get both at times. I want to be able to record smoothly at 1080p and 60fps. I have tried low-quality games such as Volcanoids, all the way up to high-quality games such as MOdern Also l have been using Nvenc (new) and I dont know whether it would be better for me to use that or x264. I am hoping to use the GPU seeing it puts my CPU under a lot of strain. It would be greatly appreciated if we could get this sorted out because it used to work smoothly before my new CPU upgrade.

My PC Specs:
- Ryzen 7 3700X
- RTX 2060 Super
- 16gb RAM

Output Settings:
- NVENC (new)
- CQP level = 19
- Keyframe Interval = 2
- Preset = Quality
- Profile = High
- Lookahead and Psycho Tuning are both off
- GPU = 0
- Max B-Frames = 2

Video Settings:
- Base Res = 1920x1080
- Output Resolution = 1920x1080
- Lanczos 36 samples
- Common FPS = 60

carlmmii

According to the logs, your recordings have been nearly perfect. Very few frames, if any, are lost to rendering/encoding lag.

What program are you using to play back the videos?

RichieTee

Hello, I am having problems getting the right quality for my recordings so I can upload them to youtube. Well I have noticed every time I record I get a stutter or fps lag. Or I even get both at times. I want to be able to record smoothly at 1080p and 60fps. I have tried low-quality games such as Volcanoids, all the way up to high-quality games such as MOdern Also l have been using Nvenc (new) and I dont know whether it would be better for me to use that or x264. I am hoping to use the GPU seeing it puts my CPU under a lot of strain. It would be greatly appreciated if we could get this sorted out because it used to work smoothly before my new CPU upgrade.

My PC Specs:
- Ryzen 7 3700X
- RTX 2060 Super
- 16gb RAM

Output Settings:
- NVENC (new)
- CQP level = 19
- Keyframe Interval = 2
- Preset = Quality
- Profile = High
- Lookahead and Psycho Tuning are both off
- GPU = 0
- Max B-Frames = 2

Video Settings:
- Base Res = 1920x1080
- Output Resolution = 1920x1080
- Lanczos 36 samples
- Common FPS = 60

Try to use the OBS Analyzer to check the errors: https://obsproject.com/analyzer/

I already put your log into it, this is what is shown, that should help you debug

Attachments

• log analysis.PNG
    log analysis.PNG
    63.3 KB · Views: 98

DrVintage

According to the logs, your recordings have been nearly perfect. Very few frames, if any, are lost to rendering/encoding lag.

What program are you using to play back the videos?
I figured out what you mean. I am using game capture

carlmmii

No, as in what program are you using to watch back your recorded video files?

If you're using the default windows program (Movies & TV, or Windows Media Player/Central), then that has issues playing back high framerate content. VLC should be used instead if this is the case.

carlmmii

Ok. With that out of the way, just a few tips for avoiding future problems:

- Update windows
- Run OBS as admin
- Don't mix game/display/window capture all within the same scene unless absolutely necessary (performance will suffer and cause missed frames in capture)
- Turn off Psychovisual Tuning (this uses CUDA and may cause problems depending on GPU loading)
- Do not use "Max Quality" or Look Ahead (same reason -- CUDA processing)

Also, do not record directly to .mp4. This container format requires closing metadata written at the end of recording, so if anything happens to interrupt the recording abruptly (such as a crash), then the entire recording will be corrupted. Record directly to .mkv or .flv instead. If you need .mp4 for editing purposes, then you can remux the recording afterward (either automatically via the advanced settings, or manually through the file menu).

DrVintage

Ok. With that out of the way, just a few tips for avoiding future problems:

- Update windows
- Run OBS as admin
- Don't mix game/display/window capture all within the same scene unless absolutely necessary (performance will suffer and cause missed frames in capture)
- Turn off Psychovisual Tuning (this uses CUDA and may cause problems depending on GPU loading)
- Do not use "Max Quality" or Look Ahead (same reason -- CUDA processing)

Also, do not record directly to .mp4. This container format requires closing metadata written at the end of recording, so if anything happens to interrupt the recording abruptly (such as a crash), then the entire recording will be corrupted. Record directly to .mkv or .flv instead. If you need .mp4 for editing purposes, then you can remux the recording afterward (either automatically via the advanced settings, or manually through the file menu).
Thank you so much. Ive been trying to fix this for DAYS.