Help, please! I can't edit my recording from OBS.

doc808

Every time I save my recording, I can't edit my recording using Windows photos app. I keep getting this error message: "It looks like you don't have permission to save changes to this file." I have attached my setting to this post. I am able to edit videos from my nvidia geforce so windows photos so I know the photos app is working.

Attachments

• OBSScreenshot 2023-01-16 151018.png
    OBSScreenshot 2023-01-16 151018.png
    323.9 KB · Views: 44

doc808

Are you savings video recording to same folder? have you checked the NTFS permissions on the folders and specific recordings?
I tried to save it to a different folder, and I get the same error. The permission to not edit the video is coming from OBS somehow.

AaronD

I'm pretty sure that OBS releases the file as soon as it's done with it. No need to close OBS. But you might try that anyway.

Coming from the Linux world, an app that runs as root will create files that are owned by root. An app that runs as user can't modify a file that is owned by root. (important system files are owned by root...) The (rough) equivalent of root on Windows is Administrator. Don't know if it translates well enough to be the problem, but it might also be something to look into.

That said, I never replace an original source. I keep them as they are and save a new one. Then I can edit differently later, and I'm not stuck with what I did the first time.

doc808

I'm pretty sure that OBS releases the file as soon as it's done with it. No need to close OBS. But you might try that anyway.

Coming from the Linux world, an app that runs as root will create files that are owned by root. An app that runs as user can't modify a file that is owned by root. (important system files are owned by root...) The (rough) equivalent of root on Windows is Administrator. Don't know if it translates well enough to be the problem, but it might also be something to look into.

That said, I never replace an original source. I keep them as they are and save a new one. Then I can edit differently later, and I'm not stuck with what I did the first time.
yea that makes sense but I tried to run obs as administrator and that didn't work. I think it has something with the encoder and the supported formats on windows photos. I can't figure it out tho. It's still not working :-(

AaronD

No, DON'T run it as Admin! If it works like Linux does (rough equivalence), Admin locks the file so that only Admin can modify it.

People are waay too eager to bypass the intentional security stuff, like running things as Admin, reflexively clicking "OK, just do it," etc. And then they wonder why they have a virus...

It doesn't help either that vendors didn't bother to do things the right way either, so they got flagged as harmful, and told people to do that as part of the normal installation and operation. Or that Microshaft made it too hard for the smaller players to do things right, and so they *had* to tell their customers to do that.

AaronD

If it plays, then it's compatible. It's already read the file at that point and made sense of it, so it's probably not that.

But, you might try a different free editor:
Easy enough to learn, and TONS to grow into! Not quite a competitor to the big-name paid video editors, but easily enough for what I do, and probably you too for a very long time. It reads pretty much anything, and its export settings are the same as OBS, just presented differently.

Don't try to overwrite a source file though: the export is essentially playing the project as fast as it can, including reading the source files, and encoding that to the output file just like OBS does. (hence the same settings) If it overwrites its own source while it's doing that, it's probably not going to work so well.

Lawrence_SoCal

I tried to save it to a different folder, and I get the same error. The permission to not edit the video is coming from OBS somehow.
No, not really a thing. And you didn't indicate checking the file permissions directly (you need to do that, figure it out if need be.. not hard).
OBS simply writes the video file to the folder designated. AaronD.. NTFS permissions work a little different. Typically files written into a folder assume (inherit) the permissions of that folder, regardless of security context of process (app) writing the file... but there are way to do that differently.

To AaronD's point:
- first test, is to PLAY the file (make sure you stop recording first, possibly exit OBS just to be completely sure no file lock in place). If you can Play the video, then video file is fine and that most likely nothing to do with OBS at that point.
- Though, per above, you NEED to check file permissions. Do NOT move a file within same disk drive, as that moves the file permissions with it. Copying a file on a NFTS drive will cause a file to inherit the security permissions of the destination folder. Moving a file to a different drive (ex C:\ to D:\) is actually a copy and delete, so again, NTFS permissions NOT carried over.

If you have spare disk space, and confirmed directly that file permission security to make sure video editor User Profile has Edit Permissions to file, and you still get an error?
- then most likely, your video editor is throwing a false error. It is not a permissions issue but rather an incompatibility of encoding settings. Try a different editor as Aaron suggested