HDMI Splitter Causing Video-Audio Desync?

CatMuto

I use a 1x2 HDMI Splitter to record my PS3 game footage and I notice that after about 10 minutes of recording/just playing the game, a delay between audio and video is occuring. The video is just fine, but the audio begins to lack. The longer this goes on, the worse the lag goes. And it does get noticeable and carried over into the recorded video.

I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with my capture card (Pengo) and everything to do with the HDMI Splitter, as I don't have this problem when recording via capture card on my Switch or PS4, the consoles that don't require the HDMI splitter to be used.

I'm not sure what the cause of the problem is with the splitter.
The HDMI cables I use are 1 meter each. Those same cables are used for the other consoles, so I don't think the cables are defect.

My HDMI Splitter.

qhobbes

This may be caused by mismatched sample rate.

CatMuto

I have recorded two videos now, each approximately 40 minutes long. The desync is still noticeable while recording, but doesn't seem to be in the recorded video itself.

CatMuto

Though this still bugs me because I recall not having this issue, and then the lag being noticeable in later videos.

CatMuto

I've done that, and the lag is still noticeable during recording 10 minutes into using it.
Not noticeable in the video itself, yet, which usually occurs if I play and record an hour or longer in.

Latest Log File: https://obsproject.com/logs/ig2WBeJ7vDyPCHWy

I just saw in the Sound Control Panel that my PC Speakers (and Headset, when plugged in?) still do sample rate of 48kHz. I changed it to 41kHz; I will check later if that did anything.

Last edited:

qhobbes

That log shows mismatched sample rates. At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio): 48000 Hz
Microphone (Realtek(R) Audio): 48000 Hz
Change everything back to 48000 Hz if it supports it, including the Pengo HDMI Grabber.

The first recording shows 11% encoder overload. Your NVIDIA GPU doesn't support NVENC but your Intel GPU does support Quick Sync Video (QSV). You may need to set OBS to run in Power Saving mode to do this. See:

CatMuto

I intentionally put everything onto 41kHz now, since I had the problem of desync when everything was under 48kHz.

But that seems to have fixed the problem. Approximately 40 minutes of recording, and there was no noticeable desync going on during.

Lodey

Sorry to bump this old post, but I've had this issue for years and I can't figure it out. My sample rage on Windows and OBS is 48000, the audio will eventually drift and desync from the visuals. Reinitializing the capture source fixes it, but that's it. I'm not using a splitter, but I do use an HDMI hub. It's happened on two separate internal capture cards, Micomsoft SC-512 and Avermedia Live Gamer 4k, so it's an OBS issue or something else. Surprisingly didn't have this problem with Xsplit at all.