Question / Help Having obs on my Screen makes my game lag.

Scruby

Hey, I have been wanting to get into streaming.
but when I have my obs open it just locked my game to a low FPS. the game is still 150fps but it only displays a low amount of frames.
even when I don't record.
And I have Tried to close the preview but that didn't help.
Turning down the bitrate and fps to the lowest didn't help either.
then I tried minimizing OBS and that worked.
the thing is that I would prefer seeing chat and a preview of how the stream looks.
I tied separating the preview from obs and as long as I don't have obs maximized/open on my screen It will work.
but I have a plugin to see chat and Events. and fixing this game cap when obs is open would save me a lot of stress.
I just want to have everything 'all in one'

Again the problem is that having OBS maximized or on the screen whatsoever makes my game laggy.
and I would like a preview.

Thank you for Reading.

Scruby

Sorry i have never done this before. but i think this is it.

Attachments

• 2018-12-25 15-01-16.txt
    21.2 KB · Views: 223

Harold

If your second display is running at a different refresh rate from your primary, that can cause the issue. It's not something that can easily be fixed within OBS with it being a video card driver level issue.

Scruby

ok, so I changed the Hz of my monitor between 30 and 75 with is the lowest and the highest setting on my secondary monitor. and I look like you were right. Having OBS open on a 75Hz screen will lock my game to 75fps even if the game is open on a 150hz monitor.

Scruby

If your second display is running at a different refresh rate from your primary, that can cause the issue. It's not something that can easily be fixed within OBS with it being a video card driver level issue.
do you know if there is any way to fix this?

DEDRICK

Not with a Ryzen setup, on an Intel setup you can run the second monitor on the iGPU

I thought I saw a post on Reddit that mentioned messing with the GPU Scaling options in NVIDIA control panel for both Displays. Could be snake oil, only have 2 60Hz panels so I can't help test.

1545751032376.png

Scruby

Not with a Ryzen setup, on an Intel setup you can run the second monitor on the iGPU

I thought I saw a post on Reddit that mentioned messing with the GPU Scaling options in NVIDIA control panel for both Displays. Could be snake oil, only have 2 60Hz panels so I can't help test.

View attachment 41613
Well, I just switched to a Ryzen 7 2700x. . . . .
it won't hurt to try tho?

DEDRICK

Basically the above setup is how you play Stretch Res CS:GO which seems to be popular for some reason, no harm in doing it. You do it for both monitors

DEDRICK

The Ryzen comment was due to the lack of iGPU, not the overall issue at hand. The issue is an NVIDIA/Windows 10 issue that stems from mixed refreshrate monitors.

What happens if you run fullscreen projector to the other monitor and keep OBS minimized? ...nevermind I re-read your post, it works but you have have OBS.live so you can't see chat.

What happens if you hit F11 while in OBS then go back to the game?

Scruby

The Ryzen comment was due to the lack of iGPU, not the overall issue at hand. The issue is an NVIDIA/Windows 10 issue that stems from mixed refreshrate monitors.

What happens if you run fullscreen projector to the other monitor and keep OBS minimized? ...nevermind I re-read your post, it works but you have have OBS.live so you can't see chat.

What happens if you hit F11 while in OBS then go back to the game?
Nope, no difference in Fullscreen