Bug Report Has the "OBS Stopped Working" Error Been Resolved?

odb_tna

I installed OBS Studio on my Windows 7 64 desktop about a month or so back, and I've consistently gotten this error every time I close the program. I believe one OBS update has been pushed through since then, but this issue persists. I've seen others deal with it in the past, so was just wondering if there is a fix yet? I've attached the log and screenshot. Thanks!

https://obsproject.com/logs/b8BMgZxFKS2phaF1

obsstopped.PNG

Narcogen

This is nearly always caused by system overload.

11:19:38.148: adding 23 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 23 milliseconds
11:19:38.390: adding 23 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 46 milliseconds
11:19:39.324: adding 162 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 208 milliseconds
11:19:39.456: adding 116 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 325 milliseconds

This is also usually a sign of system overload, although the total buffering you're getting is not particularly excessive.

Does this crash happen on a fresh blank profile and scene collection? You have a number of media sources with hardware accelerated decoding on, I am wondering if there is an issue with one of them. It also looks like some of them are duplicates?

odb_tna

Thanks for following up. Your advice led me to do some digging, and I narrowed the issue down immediately. It was the VST plug-in I had applied to my mic that was the culprit. Removing that fixes the issue.

Here is the thing though, removing it is not actually an option. It's imperative I have that on my mic, as I mix things in a very specific way using that setup. So is there anything about having this plug-in applied that will affect my live streaming in an adverse way (other than the program being a little buggy when I close it)? If not, I can live with that. Just want to make sure.

DEDRICK

Without naming the plugin (we can't see it) we cannot provide advice.

Nearly all plugins will have some kind of alternative unless it something crazy like iZotope Ozone, but even Ozone is just several audio processors combined which you can replicate using less resource intensive plugins

odb_tna

Sure, I will consider an alternative if the issues extend beyond just the bothersome crash message at closing. But far as I can tell, it doesn't affect anything during the stream. So fingers crossed it stays that way.

Also, you mentioned the hardware acceleration option. I'm always looking to optimize where I can. Far as I know, if these are on those sources, they were applied by default. I use the same source across multiple scenes, many of which are just references copy/pasted so I can have the same graphic present in multiple windows. Is there something about the current setup this not optimum, or that I can streamline/tweak when it comes to hardware acceleration?

Narcogen

For sources, you've got:

11:19:39.113: [Media Source 'Loading - blank - small']: settings:
11:19:39.113: input: C:/Program Files/obs-studio/assets/Retrowave/Graphics/Retrowave_Blank.mp4

11:19:39.120: [Media Source 'Loading - blank']: settings:
11:19:39.120: input: C:/Program Files/obs-studio/assets/Retrowave/Graphics/Retrowave_Blank.mp4

11:19:39.121: [Media Source 'Loading - blank - prime']: settings:
11:19:39.121: input: C:/Program Files/obs-studio/assets/Retrowave/Graphics/Retrowave_Blank.mp4

11:19:39.140: [Media Source 'Frame - alt']: settings:
11:19:39.140: input: C:/Program Files/obs-studio/assets/Retrowave/Graphics/Webcam_16-9_Default.webm

11:19:39.140: [Media Source 'Frame - prime']: settings:
11:19:39.140: input: C:/Program Files/obs-studio/assets/Retrowave/Graphics/Webcam_16-9_Default.webm

That's three copies of one media file and two copies of another. They aren't just references, because when you rename a reference it renames the original. So this means you've got three copies of the same media file being loaded into memory and all consuming resources even though they are the same content.