[GUIDE] twitch chat overlay **Update March 19**

foshtwo

Thanks, I use this little script and its great.

I realize this is basically just writing the chat to a .txt and then showing the .txt in OBS but is there any way to make the chatlines disapear after a certain amount of time? Right now the chat stays up for as long as I let it before I flush the .txt. So is there any way (or simple way I guess) to make it autoflush in some way?

zangets00

Unfortunately I believe bartoruiz is done working on this script. So I doubt we'll see anything new unless someone picks this up.

bartoruiz

I'm still here :D , just nothing new to add

@foshtwo

Nice idea, I will add this in the next release.

Meanwhile you can use this command once your are connected:

/timerflush 0 60 initfiles

- 60 is the number of seconds between each chat flush; change it to your needs.

FerretBomb

Just a real quick version on how I do mine:
1) Run Chrome
2) Install the Stylish plugin
3) Install the 'Twitch.tv Dark/Black Theme' and enable it
4) Popout chat, put it somewhere you like, at a decent size
5) Window Capture, Inner Window, with sub-region.
6) Chroma out the black. DapperKapper and MdKaP lose their hats, but chat is nicely readable.

You can combine steps 2 & 3 by just installing the Better Twitch.tv plugin instead (it has a chroma-black option under the gear icon on any popped-out chat) but I hate some of the other changes BTTV does to the site (like making the Old format content tiles transparent, which screws up a lot of the custom frames which no longer blend in properly).

Can head here and look at any of my past casts (http://www.twitch.tv/ferretbomb/videos); Isaac runs it usually sits on a black background anyway, but Neverwinter it shows up very readably over the game source layer.
I've done a few tweaks to the Stylish theme CSS (keeping the scrollbars from auto-hiding, fine-tuning the background color to get the best key from it) but the above still works great.

Krazy

Town drunk
Wow, thank you for making me aware Stylish exists...watching Twitch streams just got a lot more pleasant.

foshtwo

bartoruiz said:
I'm still here :D , just nothing new to add

@foshtwo

Nice idea, I will add this in the next release.

Meanwhile you can use this command once your are connected:

/timerflush 0 60 initfiles

- 60 is the number of seconds between each chat flush; change it to your needs.

Ah okay, I think I'll be patient and just wait for the feature if you ever add it, the autoflush is a decent fix but it can cause problems flushing just as someone typed something etc.

TaknLiv3s

Ok so I am trying to use this I downloaded the file what do I do next cause when I try and do anything it shows like I need some sort of program can you please explain how to install this and get it working. Much thanks

zangets00

TaknLiv3s said:
Ok so I am trying to use this I downloaded the file what do I do next cause when I try and do anything it shows like I need some sort of program can you please explain how to install this and get it working. Much thanks
You need mIRC to use this script.
First post has been updated.

Ornithomancer

So I tried testing this by connecting to someone's channel who was currently streaming just to see if I could see chat. In the mIRC window, everything shows up but no chat shows up in the overlay window.

Tadian

Somehow my text looks very blurry, is there any way around this?

CBR 3500 kBit/s
Base Resolution 1920x1200
Downscale 768x480

vipaware

Tadian said:

CBR 3500 kBit/s
Downscale 768x480

Try downscaling to 720p or make your text bigger. Having CBR 1500kbit is also barely enough for 720p.
The point is you downscale too far where any small text would probably be unreadable. Your CBR is also too high for such a low resolution, imho.

I stream at 720p@30fps downscaled from 1080p at 1500kbit. This seems just fine and text is all readable (I have plenty of that). Check here for example: http://www.twitch.tv/vipaware/b/425698414

zangets00

Tadian said:

CBR 3500 kBit/s
Downscale 768x480

Increase the font size of your text then resize it down
Also avoid red on black.

Tadian

Thanks for the tips, works now :)

I think I did the mistake and just resized the overlay windows inside of the preview screen and that messed it up.

Hi, I followed the instructions, installed mIRC 7.32, uploaded the script and joined a channel on Twitch, the chat log is working in OBS, but I can not see my messages on the site Twitch and I do actually not see any posts of other users in mIRC. What can be a problem?

FatHitman

FerretBomb said:
Just a real quick version on how I do mine:
1) Run Chrome
2) Install the Stylish plugin
3) Install the 'Twitch.tv Dark/Black Theme' and enable it
4) Popout chat, put it somewhere you like, at a decent size
5) Window Capture, Inner Window, with sub-region.
6) Chroma out the black. DapperKapper and MdKaP lose their hats, but chat is nicely readable.

You can combine steps 2 & 3 by just installing the Better Twitch.tv plugin instead (it has a chroma-black option under the gear icon on any popped-out chat) but I hate some of the other changes BTTV does to the site (like making the Old format content tiles transparent, which screws up a lot of the custom frames which no longer blend in properly).

Can head here and look at any of my past casts (http://www.twitch.tv/ferretbomb/videos); Isaac runs it usually sits on a black background anyway, but Neverwinter it shows up very readably over the game source layer.
I've done a few tweaks to the Stylish theme CSS (keeping the scrollbars from auto-hiding, fine-tuning the background color to get the best key from it) but the above still works great.

This works so damn well and looks so much better! Thx man

FerretBomb

Just a note, adding a 30-50% transparency backdrop layer behind the chat capture layer with the Stylish Chrome method will make it MUCH more readable, especially on a light background. I've made this improvement myself, and it VASTLY helps the readability while still allowing gameplay behind it to be visible.

To make my backdrop, I just took a screenshot, used Magic Wand to select the area outside the chat window, inverted the selection to have ALL of the chat window selected, made a new layer, filled it with black, and saved just that one layer as a PNG. Load it up as an Image layer.

You can use the Layer Transparency option in OBS, or if you want to get fancy (I'm considering and working on this) use your image editing software to bake the proper semi-transparency directly into the PNG. Considering adding a non-transparent frame around chat to help delineate it better, as well as allowing me to add 'window chrome' to the border. Or 'girders' behind the chat, still maintaining the semi-dark backdrop as well, to add visual interest to the design. Possibly another semitransparent 'shine' layer on top, to make the chat look like it's inside a computer monitor or something.

Not necessary, but there are TONS of options for neat stuff that can be done.