[GUIDE] twitch chat overlay **Update March 19**

zangets00

Feb 23, 2013 - I left something in the script I was testing. It's been removed and link updated.
Feb 26, 2013 - Link to new home for original(updated) script, added features
Mar 19, 2013 - version 3.04 released

This requires mIRC

http://www.mirc.com/

Please DO NOT ask me for help on my channel. I'm trying to cast and play a game.

If you need any help, I highly suggest posting in this thread or a solution for your problem may already be in here.

Download & Instructions: https://code.google.com/p/twitch-irc-ch ... xt-output/

• Install Instructions
  • Open mIRC and type: //run $mircdir/scripts
  • Unzip the files (twitchat.mrc & viewers2txt.exe) inside that folder.
  • At mIRC type: /load -rs scripts/twitchat.mrc
  • Click YES at the 'run initialization commands' warning popup and configure to your needs.
After you have installed the script for mIRC. Just add the text file as a source in OBS
cRq7ODR.jpg

A (old) video demonstration can be viewed here: http://www.twitch.tv/zangets00/b/369740100

bboyboots

Re: [GUIDE] twitch chat overlay **update/fix**

just wanted to say thanks for the amazing text overlay. its simple and clean and super easy to setup.
that would be nice if there colors for each persons name.. just like in mIRC.

bartoruiz

bboyboots,

I have seen colors at the twitch chat, but never on mirc.

If you send me an example (screenshoot) I might try to include them.

Greets.

FatHitman

Love this, took just mins to get setup. Man once people find out about OBS, Xsplit is going to be in trouble

RyzaJr

Now this is neat. Too bad I don't use mIRC, haha..

Wonder if I can get this working with Pidgin, as that's what I use.

zangets00

@bartoruiz
@bboyboots

You're able to apply colored nicks in mIRC but that doesn't matter since we're using text source in OBS to display the text.

You can display colored nicknames but you would be stuck with the single color you choose in the text source properties and to avoid complications with varying name lengths and other things you would have to output nicknames to a second separate text file. You will just have to line up the sources.

A quick example/mockup/concept below.
h25tCrz.jpg

EDIT:
I got it outputting just nicknames to a separate text file but the problem is long lines being covered up
Rv7n9zs.jpg
We're just going to need a plugin to be developed if we want a more powerful chat overlay.

twoez

is there a way to make it automatically run that /load -rs scripts\twitchat.mrc command whenever i run mirc?

also how do you change the color of the names in twitch? thank you for the help!

CoinOperated

twoez said:
is there a way to make it automatically run that /load -rs scripts\twitchat.mrc command whenever i run mirc?

also how do you change the color of the names in twitch? thank you for the help!

You should be able to do this using the perform option, located here:
h3LQaPo.png

twoez

CoinOperated said:
twoez said:

You should be able to do this using the perform option, located here:
h3LQaPo.png

thank you!

bartoruiz

zangets00 said:
@bartoruiz
@bboyboots

You're able to apply colored nicks in mIRC but that doesn't matter since we're using text source in OBS to display the text.

You can display colored nicknames but you would be stuck with the single color you choose in the text source properties and to avoid complications with varying name lengths and other things you would have to output nicknames to a second separate text file. You will just have to line up the sources.

A quick example/mockup/concept below.
h25tCrz.jpg

EDIT:
I got it outputting just nicknames to a separate text file but the problem is long lines being covered up
Rv7n9zs.jpg
We're just going to need a plugin to be developed if we want a more powerful chat overlay.

Nice work zangets00 and thanks for the recommendation, I already switched to OBS.

It will be perfect if some OBS dev make the TEXT source to dynamically accept color codes like in mIRC (the little square then color numbers for font,background). Many other people will benefit from it.

bartoruiz

twoez said:

twoez,

You dont need to load the script everytime. You do it once and it will stay there.

You can access the Twitch IRC Settings by right clicking almost any window, or just type /twsettings

zangets00

bartoruiz said:
Nice work zangets00 and thanks for the recommendation, I already switched to OBS.

It will be perfect if some OBS dev make the TEXT source to dynamically accept color codes like in mIRC (the little square then color numbers for font,background). Many other people will benefit from it.

Thanks and that's awesome!

twoez

Re: [GUIDE] twitch chat overlay **Update Feb 26**

hmm doesnt seem to be working for me anymore, followed the new instructions and im not getting any text to show D:

*edit*
nvm got it to work changed the chatline1 txt file to fullchatline txt file.

Triksterism

Is there a way to make the chat sort by oldest (top) and newest (bottom) --- Basically inverse of what it is now?

zone22

is there any other open-source alternative to mIRC that that's capable of the chat overlay?

zangets00

None that I'm aware of and if there is, another script might to be made for that software.

zone22

zangets00 said:
None that I'm aware of and if there is, another script might to be made for that software.
After doing a bit of research and inquiring of technical minds. I found An open source program at http://www.kvirc.net/ It has scripting capabilities and seems comparable to mIRC. Unfortunately, scripting is not something in my skill sets. Would someone be interested in taking a peek that has the talent?

bartoruiz

zone22 said:
...Would someone be interested in taking a peek that has the talent?

Maybe when OBS runs in linux; and I rather pick http://xchat.org as open source alternative.

Meanwhile, do you have any strong reason to not use mIRC?, specially in Windows :D