Question / Help GTX 1660 ti vs RTX 2060 NVENC

EpicReset

The specs on the 1660 ti says that it's running the same Touring architecture as the RTX cards for it's NVENC encoder. Does that translate into it's performance/quality output as well. The RTX cards are claiming it rivals x264 medium with it's new architecture, but since the GTX 1660ti is running the same one, wouldn't this be the cheapest alternative to get x264 medium-ish quality without a drastic performance hit?

I do have a dedicated streaming pc (I stream primarily console titles at 30 and 60fps at 720 or 900p), BUT its only running an AMD FX8320, which is old. It can't really do 720p60 at anything other than the "faster" preset. I figured a 1660ti would be the cheapest option vs new CPU & mobo. Even the 2060 would still be cheaper than a Ryzen and mobo.

But if the 1660ti NVENC performance matches the RTX 2060... I can save quite a bit of money...

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Zidakuh

Reading through Nvidias website says that the 1660ti gets the same encoder, albeit, in the testing I have done with mine, the quality seems... Lacking? It's better than what my 1080 can do for sure, but IMHO it doesn't quite compare to x264 medium. More like x264 fast, with a tiny bit more blocking.

Baltho82

Reading through Nvidias website says that the 1660ti gets the same encoder, albeit, in the testing I have done with mine, the quality seems... Lacking? It's better than what my 1080 can do for sure, but IMHO it doesn't quite compare to x264 medium. More like x264 fast, with a tiny bit more blocking.
thx for your info I have a 1080 too i was thinking about getting a1660ti only for encorder now I see it.s a wast of time

Narcogen

I think the problem is that Nvidia's claim is overstated:

"For you as a streamer, this means that GeForce RTX GPUs can stream with superior image quality compared to x264 Fast, and on par with x264 Medium."

Better than Fast is correct. "on par with medium" is... not, whether you have a 2070 or a 1660Ti.