Gameplay is perfectly smooth, but recorded video is choppy/unsmooth.

Bearilla

I'm here for the ride too.... Thought it might be a GPU problem so ordered a RTX 4090 but am seeing @Goblok is having this issue with a 4090. What is weird is I can inspect the files and they seem ok indicating that they were captured at 1080p 60fps with lowest frame at 54fps and the highest at 69fps.

I just had the idea to play back on a different monitor and noticed it looks much smoother on my 1440p 144Hz monitor vs playback on my 1080p 240Hz. Maybe the 60fps on the 240Hz is the issue? Seems a bit odd because on the 240Hz monitor I can watch gameplay on YT just fine and I believe that is 60fps.

Anyway, 4090 is on the way and will be here next week. If that doesn't improve anything I will do a complete re-install of Windows.

ILikeIt

My obs worked fine, every recording was perfect.
There was no update for OBS or GPU or even for Windows 10.
All of a sudden my recordings are so choppy that sometimes they are 1 frame per 2 seconds, and game works fine.
I didn't touch any settings that I've set for myself:
MP4 (and before some typical mkv fanboy writes "use only mkv", it's the same on both formats so just don't!)
HVEC
CBR - 18000kbps
P7: Slowest (High Quality)
Single Pass
Profile: main
GPU: 0
Max B Frames: 2
(No Psycho Tuning or Look Ahead)
I use 1080p but I upscale recordings to 1440p.

Last edited:
Any solution? Ive been trying to record my games but my recordings are so choppy and laggy. I’ve tried multiple softwares and all give me the same issue. I don’t have a bad pc and my recordings were fine before. When i watch the recordings back the quality is just horrible but if i were to send it to someone on discord it is fine? Also choppy in editing softwares. My recordings are being saved in my 2tb m.2
Its probably some weird driver that you have installed. Try uninstall it. I´ve had this issue for a month, and uninstalled Nvidia driver. Worked perfect after

Seird

Hey guys, i had this problem until recently, recordings were really bad using replay buffer obs or nvidia shadowplay. But then i just tried to reproduce the recordings with a different video player, in my case Windows Media Player Legacy and VLC worked just fine. It looked really bad when i reproduced them with Media Player from windows. I hope this can help someone too.

lomeu_me

Hey guys! Apparently I managed to solve the problem, I had to change the Output (Scaled) Resolution option to 1600x900. For some reason, if you use the native resolution in the Output (Scaled) Resolution option, this non-smooth fps occurs.

Ryoko227

I just started using OBS again recently and had the same issue. I was able to resolve it for myself, but not sure if it will work for others.

Firstly, while going through and changing some of the initial settings, I had set my Video->Output (Scaled) Resolution to 1920x1080 (which is the same as my base). I also set my Common FPS Values to 60, which is the refresh and frame rate I have on my TV. I don't know why, but doing so, still showed a Downscale Filter of Bicubic (blah blah blah). I did not have an option to disable the filter, which seemed odd, and this does not seem to be correct nor intended.

I was able to get mine working by going into...
Output->Output Mode->Advanced
Under the Recording tab I changed the following.
Video Encoder -> NVIDIA NVEC H.264​
Rescale Output -> Disabled​
After applying and switch back to Video, when I changed the Output (Scaled) Resolution, it shows a downscale filter, or when I chose the same resolution as the base, it now states [Resolutions match, no downscaling required].

That resolved the choppy recordings I was having.
I hope this helps someone out there.

Lyftak

I just started using OBS again recently and had the same issue. I was able to resolve it for myself, but not sure if it will work for others.

Firstly, while going through and changing some of the initial settings, I had set my Video->Output (Scaled) Resolution to 1920x1080 (which is the same as my base). I also set my Common FPS Values to 60, which is the refresh and frame rate I have on my TV. I don't know why, but doing so, still showed a Downscale Filter of Bicubic (blah blah blah). I did not have an option to disable the filter, which seemed odd, and this does not seem to be correct nor intended.

I was able to get mine working by going into...
Output->Output Mode->Advanced
Under the Recording tab I changed the following.
Video Encoder -> NVIDIA NVEC H.264​
Rescale Output -> Disabled​
After applying and switch back to Video, when I changed the Output (Scaled) Resolution, it shows a downscale filter, or when I chose the same resolution as the base, it now states [Resolutions match, no downscaling required].

That resolved the choppy recordings I was having.
I hope this helps someone out there.
Hello, just try to dowloand the newesst nvidia driver thats the thing that helped me rn... the issue i've had since last october and i just fix it now