Question / Help Gameplay audio sync issues

H3G

Hey,

I have been trying to stream my Xb1X gameplay through a magewell cap card. I would like to stream and record locally, but even doing one of them I have gameplay audio sync issues. Here is my log https://obsproject.com/logs/17UTflhk6BLJ2eyI. I have been stream on and off for over a year and this wasn't always the issue, but I have tweaked pretty much every setting (mostly for quality improvements and to learn), but somewhere along the line this became an issue. Its inconsistent with no discernible reason that I see... which means jack.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Narcogen

11:33:57.631: Windows Version: 10.0 Build 17134 (revision: 885; 64-bit)

WIndows is out of date. You should update.

11:33:57.722: OBS 21.1.0 (64bit, windows)

OBS is out of date. Current is v23. Download the new version from the website, I believe the updater in your version is broken.

12:13:28.338: [NVENC encoder: 'recording_h264'] settings:
12:13:28.338: rate_control: CBR
12:13:28.338: bitrate: 45000

Don't do local recordings with CBR rate control, that's mostly for streaming. Use CQP rate control and a max quality setting of 15.

12:15:39.684: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 12/3931 (0.3%)

It looks like you're trying to do 4k30 and you're on the edge of what your encoder can manage-- just a touch of encoder lag there.

Don't see anything else obvious that would cause desync except that it does tend to happen when a system is under heavy load.

11:33:58.455: YUV mode: 709/Full

You may wish to switch this to 709/Partial as Full range content doesn't look right on most displays.

Updating alone might reduce the encoder lag as the new encoder is more efficient.

H3G

OBS is out of date. Current is v23. Download the new version from the website, I believe the updater in your version is broken.

Don't do local recordings with CBR rate control, that's mostly for streaming. Use CQP rate control and a max quality setting of 15.

12:15:39.684: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 12/3931 (0.3%)

It looks like you're trying to do 4k30 and you're on the edge of what your encoder can manage-- just a touch of encoder lag there.

Don't see anything else obvious that would cause desync except that it does tend to happen when a system is under heavy load.

You may wish to switch this to 709/Partial as Full range content doesn't look right on most displays.

Updating alone might reduce the encoder lag as the new encoder is more efficient.

Thanks for your response

I did notice that my obs was out of date after i posted and yes your right the updater was not working because i had tried to update before, and assumed it was up to date. I did download the newer version and still had the issue last night, but I will adjust the other settings and try it tomorrow when I get home.

I would like to capture at 4k30 and stream at 2k30. Is my I5 enough for that? Or should I invest in a newer chip?

Thanks again! I will post a follow up and let you know.

Narcogen

CPU isn't all that relevant if you're encoding with NVENC.

Make sure everything is up to date-- OS, OBS, drivers-- and test again. Another user just this week started out with a question involving audio desync with a Magewell device, and then couldn't replicate the problem, so... it might just go away ?

H3G

Ok, I have run a few test with no issues after updating windows and changing to CQP recording or streaming.

Thank you for your help Narcogen!

H3G

CPU isn't all that relevant if you're encoding with NVENC.

Make sure everything is up to date-- OS, OBS, drivers-- and test again. Another user just this week started out with a question involving audio desync with a Magewell device, and then couldn't replicate the problem, so... it might just go away ?

Thanks for the help the first time, thought I had it. Unfortunately, I'm back. It working properly only lasted a couple days at the most, but I new in the back of my head I was going to be getting a new cpu to expand my system. Yesterday was the first "stream with the new rig, here is the log https://obsproject.com/logs/rF8MfHLWKegU7Cet. Do you notice anything that could cause this gameplay audio desync?

Side note you, before you said "It looks like you're trying to do 4k30 and you're on the edge of what your encoder can manage-- just a touch of encoder lag there.". What are you referring to when you mentioned "encoder"? cpu/gpu?

Narcogen

From your first log:

That's encoder lag. That means that when OBS attempted to compress your stream, a few times (only 12 frames in total) it could not do so in time, and so it skipped those frames.

Whether that is CPU or GPU depends on which encoder you have selected.