Question / Help Gamepad Display + Custom Images?

Clanes

Hi there! I'm helping set up a Stream Display for a friend.

He's looking for something similar to any variety of Gamepad Display, only he wants it to be a character he draws for a web comic he runs.
Assets aren't an issue as he's drawing them himself. But I'd like to know if there's a way to make certain frame images display when a button on the gamepad is pressed.
As an example, when he presses the A button, his display will change an image to display his character pressing the A button.

I figured initially that something like this would be available out of the box with the use of Scene Hotkeys. But since they're toggles, and not "as long as the button is held down, show this image" type hotkeys, something like a plugin, or an overlay might be needed instead. Added onto the fact that I can't set hotkeys up with my gamepad (Barring that one program that allows you to bind Keyboard shortcuts to gamepad inputs, but that might get messy with the fact that he plays games that require a keyboard as well)

Clanes

No baseline controller support, but I suppose that can be fixed with something like Joy2Key. Thank you!