Game Capture sometimes randomly requires Run as Administrator

Akito

Recently, I tried to use the usual scene for capturing a game window, through a "Game Capture" source.
That time, it did not work. The preview just showed a black screen and all recording attempts showed one, too. Audio worked.
No matter, which window I selected, all were black screens in OBS. Tried Browsers, IDEs, Game Launchers - all were black screens.

I couldn't figure out the issue, because it randomly did not work that time. It worked at least a hundred times before.

I had read this article. It sure couldn't be related to running OBS Studio as administrator, since it never required it, right?
Well, when I tried it out of desparation, it started working.

The big question: WHY?

After that incident, one reboot later, this very exact same "Game Capture" source works again, as usual, without running OBS Studio as administrator.

How can I prevent this from happening again?

Harold

With specific games, they actively block the game capture components from working when obs is not running as administrator. Many of those games have ALWAYS required OBS running as admin.

If you need to run OBS as administrator all the time, you can do so in the properties of the shortcut to obs on the compatibility tab.

Note: Running obs in compatibility mode for an older version of windows BREAKS core functions of obs and the option should be left unchecked.

Akito

With specific games, they actively block the game capture components from working when obs is not running as administrator. Many of those games have ALWAYS required OBS running as admin.

In my case, it's a problem with OBS. It wasn't able to capture any window, not even the browser.

As previously mentioned, it all worked almost always and right now, works too. It's just that sometimes OBS freaks out and requires administrator permissions.

vitinzugor

Com jogos específicos, eles bloqueiam ativamente o funcionamento dos componentes de captura do jogo quando o obs não está sendo executado como administrador. Muitos desses jogos SEMPRE exigiram que o OBS fosse executado como administrador.

Se você precisar executar o OBS como administrador o tempo todo, poderá fazê-lo nas propriedades do atalho para obs na guia de compatibilidade.

Nota: A execução do obs no modo de compatibilidade para uma versão mais antiga do Windows QUEBRA as funções principais do obs e a opção deve ser deixada desmarcada.
you are simply a GOD. I saw several tutorials and none worked, just you brooo!!

Akito

Now, after so many power cycles, it stopped working again & now the workaround with Administrator permissions does not even work, anymore. Just 24 hours ago, everything worked fine without Administrator permissions & now it won't work at all, with Game Capture.
Window Capture keeps working, as always.

Akito

Exactly when I gave up & wanted to close OBS, it started working again, after trying to make it work for so long....