Question / Help Game audio doesn't get captured | not shown in mixer | other sounds of same source works

Gooddaysir

Hello people,

i have a problem and I hope somebody is out there who can help me fix it.
So I want to record a gameplay of GTA SA(pretty old game) and everything works fine except that the sound, which I can hear myself though, through a Device, lets say its Device A, won't be shown as actual Sound in the Sound Mixer at "Device A".
So the device is there but it seems that there is no sound output from gta, which is weird because you can actually hear the sound through the device.
(same problem with gta 3,vice city)

I don't know it might has something to do with the age of the game and that it uses old techniques to transfer audio or so but there has to be a way to make it work since there are youtube gamplays out there with sound.

Im on Win 10 64bit, having a soundcard installed (asus xonar dx) --> this is the device, like I said I can hear the game sound through device A, but the sound doesnt get listed in the mixer and OBS does not record it.

Im very thankful for your ideas how you can make this work

Narcogen

That shouldn't actually be possible.

If all the sound was actually going to the same device, OBS has no way of separating them and recording some selectively. I'm guessing that the game sound is actually going somewhere else, and it's getting mirrored to the hardware device, so you're hearing it, but it's not being recorded. This would be possible if, for instance, you had an installation of Voicemeeter that wasn't completely or correctly configured, or if the windows audio mixer was set to send GTA's audio to a different device.

Gooddaysir

The thing is, windows does not recognize the gta sound at all, it is playing, but the sound meter in windows 10s audio mixer is standing still.
Edit: And I can't file any threads in google where people had a similar problem because all that shows up is where people don't hear the sound so their sound completely does not work x)

Narcogen

I don't know how you are hearing sound if Windows doesn't see it? It should be going to the default device, and if it isn't...

It's possible the per-application mixer doesn't see it, which just means it can't control what output it goes to or modulate its volume separately from the default device volume.

Gooddaysir

I mean I am not crazy like hearing voices or something :D I don't know maybe it has something to do with the soundcard itself, maybe it works with the onboard soundcard...

Gooddaysir

Problem solved: I switched back to my onboard soundcard, I was using a better soundcard which I build in for quality purposes, its now working

Narcogen

It's possible that some audio was going to your onboard, and others to the card you installed.

It may work properly with your new card if you disable the onboard entirely in Device Manager. If you want to try and make it work again on the newer card.