Question / Help Frames missed due to rendering lag - Constantly occurring

Michael_SK

I've seemed to have this reoccurring issue where I am getting a decent chunk of frames lost due to rendering lag. Whether I stream with CPU or GPU, if I look over to my second monitor, I'll sometimes see a 58, 59, or lower number than 60 for FPS. This is unrelated to frames lost to network lag, as that is something on my end. I have an idea as to what is causing the rendering lag, but no idea how to fix the issue. I use a Logitech C615 webcam for streams, and scenes involving my webcam seem to have this issue. My recording scenes do not have this issue for the most part, as I don't use my webcam. I still lose some frames there, but way less compared to when I stream.

I've attached a 30min stream log from OBS Studio. There are a lot of frames lost to network and rendering lag, but ignore the network stuff. Even when my internet is more consistent, I'm still losing a lot of frames regardless of what I play/stream. Even when I'm not streaming, I'm still seeing frames being lost in the Stats window.

I should also add that I did a full reinstall of my webcam and drivers, which may have temporarily fixed the problem, but now it's back to the frame loss that can be seen in this log. If any other information is needed, please let me know. I'll take any advice and help I can get.

Attachments

• 2020-05-16 00-16-44.txt
    19.5 KB · Views: 520

Michael_SK

Run OBS as administrator. This puts OBS on the GPU priority list to minimize rendering lag.
I've tried this in my attempts to see if the rendering lag would decrease. Unfortunately, whether I use CPU or GPU and whether I use admin or not, I'm still losing frames every few seconds or so.

carlmmii

In that case you'll need to limit your GPU usage from the game. Limit your framerate, and turn down graphics settings to ensure that you have enough headroom for OBS. Also for COD:MW specifically, RTX can cause problems if enabled.

Michael_SK

In that case you'll need to limit your GPU usage from the game. Limit your framerate, and turn down graphics settings to ensure that you have enough headroom for OBS. Also for COD:MW specifically, RTX can cause problems if enabled.
I'll keep this in mind in my next attempt. But again, it's not just COD:MW, it's just in general. Thank you for the advice you've given.

carlmmii

I realize. I'm just speaking from personal experience with COD:MW. That game in particular is an absolute pain in the ass.

Michael_SK

Unfortunately with the adjustments that were suggested, I am still getting a lot of render lag regardless of what is occurring with OBS.

Saberous

I'm running into the same issue, and I am running OBS as ADMIN. I start loosing frames when the programs opens. Unless I'm readying it wrong but I'm currently at 0/21360 and I'm not even recording or streaming.

dropped frames.PNG

ShadowZia

I'm running into the same issue, and I am running OBS as ADMIN. I start loosing frames when the programs opens. Unless I'm readying it wrong but I'm currently at 0/21360 and I'm not even recording or streaming.

View attachment 57067
I been having similar issue as well soon as I start up obs it showing 33/3161 drops & I'm not even recording or streaming or even have the game launched.. I even bought a new graphics card as well & its still doing it. Ever since the last 2 updates I've been having this strange issue. Even with what OBS suggest still no fix. If urs is at 0/21360 as long that 0 is front u should be ok.

dualsquire

Been running obs as administrator and yet that happens also the model is just a png not the actual 3d model, i'm loosing 4 to 5% of frames and skipped frames
i have a ryzen 5 2600, rtx 2060, 16 ram at 3200
is it because the disc space ??
also i use NVIDIA NVENC H.264 (new)
operating system i have windows 10

1651550030050.png

kozaka

I experienced a lot of dropps, and problems (rendering lag) in case I was not live, just started OBS (nothing else). What it helped in the back, that I deleted some scenes and sources (or actually a lot of them) and voila, problem gone. Now...I have again too many sources, and the problem is back...silly...

I am rendering with CPU and it is a dedicated Streaming PC (no game is running on it). AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X and Zotac RTX 3060 Video card. Should be I think just fine :)

1658938848947.png

Do nothing, and it freeze for 30 seconds in every 1-2 Minutes. Annoying. Started as admin, no change. I got the feeling, that OBS can't handle like 30 different sources or more than 10 Scenes...idk.

Or maybe one of the source makes the problems, idk. Could not find out yet.

kozaka

I experienced a lot of dropps, and problems (rendering lag) in case I was not live, just started OBS (nothing else). What it helped in the back, that I deleted some scenes and sources (or actually a lot of them) and voila, problem gone. Now...I have again too many sources, and the problem is back...silly...

I am rendering with CPU and it is a dedicated Streaming PC (no game is running on it). AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X and Zotac RTX 3060 Video card. Should be I think just fine :)

View attachment 85127
Do nothing, and it freeze for 30 seconds in every 1-2 Minutes. Annoying. Started as admin, no change. I got the feeling, that OBS can't handle like 30 different sources or more than 10 Scenes...idk.

Or maybe one of the source makes the problems, idk. Could not find out yet.
Hm...it looks like I found my problem. There is a Scene, which shows a 4 texts and the source is from a file, what is located on a different PC (2 PC setup). But because the PC is not turned on, I think OBS tries to load the files but can't. OBS must wait the timeout from network, and this blocks my entire OBS rendering. I deleted that scene and everything is green now. Weird. This should not happen. Maybe I will report this issue as a bug.

KevinPorter

So, i has a thought given i am having the same issues. Pretty sure mine have to do with my ancient computer and my over loaded scenes. I have a simple droid cam wifi,ed into my network to capture live bands playing and i also run an analog camera i can switch to for my narrative. Bunch of photos with video overlays in my other scenes. One problem i found was my audio from my recording system is going into OBS at 44.1 but my computer sound card was set to 48k so i think the computer processor was spending cash resampling. My system is so old it just cant handle that simple job while running OBS. Since i changed the sample rate to 44.1 its a bit better but im running my camera at the lowest quality in the hopes i can get less frames dropped.

KevinPorter

So, since i last posted ive encoded about 200,000 frames with no drops with the lower sample rate on the audio. I havent tried streaming that out yet to see how it is over the network. I expect it should be OK. I have about 350mb/s upload speed. My bottleneck seems to be in the encoding of droidcam over the 2.4g wireless. Also if i try to record the stream in OBS on the same computer, it cant keep up. Im pretty new to OBS and only done a few streams on my facebook page as experiments. Got a ways to go before i can call my self a streamer. Pretty soon i expect the wallet to come out and some upgrading to be done but not until i figure out how this whole OBS thing works and i get some successful streams out that are in sync with the junk i have on hand.
Screenshot (84).png

Coine

Hm...it looks like I found my problem. There is a Scene, which shows a 4 texts and the source is from a file, what is located on a different PC (2 PC setup). But because the PC is not turned on, I think OBS tries to load the files but can't. OBS must wait the timeout from network, and this blocks my entire OBS rendering. I deleted that scene and everything is green now. Weird. This should not happen. Maybe I will report this issue as a bug.
Had to reply to this because it seems to have fixed my issue — I had a Death Counter text file on a different computer as a text source in OBS. I couldn't figure out why I was getting rendering lag in the preview when I never did before (stream everyday, started happening recently). Legitimately one of the last things I would have thought was the issue.

I would get the rendering lag and encoding overload even if the file was found and active, though, now that I think about it. But removing it altogether has definitely fixed OBS from stuttering constantly and freezing preview every now and then. Appreciate that post, really saved me so much hassle.

stolz_ar

I know this may be old but I wanted to share my "solution". I had the same issue as everyone else. I just installed the latest update (30.1.0 not a beta version). OBS Studio 100% stock, almost no configuration changed. No bizarre options enabled, nothing weird. I opened up OBS Studio and BAM, 50% frames skipped right from the get go. I started disabling scenes, my webcam, etc. Nothing was affecting it. I tried the "run as administrator" solution and it didn't work. So... I went to:
Settings -> Advanced -> Video -> Color Space
There, I think the value selected was "Rec. 709". I changed it to sRGB.
I had the "Stats" dock right behind the Settings window and I could see the "Frames missed due to rendering lag" value RESET and never again have a single frame lost. It's been running for a while and it's still perfect. I have NO CLUE why this worked, so don't ask me.
I hope this helps somebody out there.
Good luck.

stolz_ar

A little update: After my "solution", if you close OBS Studio and open it up again, it will start to miss frames just like before. You can still fix it the way I described it. It seems that it may be resetting or reinitializing something that it isn't being initialized properly. I hope this gets picked up by a dev around here. It seems to be something simple.