Question / Help Fps drop in-game While stream is fine

ichimo

GFX card:Powercolor PCI-E RX 580 Red Devil GOLD 8192MB DDR5 HDMI/3xDP
CPU:AMD YD190XA8AEWOF Ryzen Threadripper 1900X WOF 8 Core/3.80 GHz/20MB/180W CPU
RAM:Gskill F4-3000C15D-16GVKB, memory D4 3000 RipjawsV 16 GB (C15.2 x 8 GB, 1.4V)
Motherboard:ASUS PRIME X399-A Socket TR4/X399/DDR4/S-ATA 600/E-ATX Motherboard

I'm having issues with my in game fps while playing most games, it doesn't visually say my frames have dropped but you can see it running at a lower rate. The stream runs fine however as far as I can tell and the CPU isn't getting overloaded. I've looked around and see that AMD CPUs have problems for users and they've found fixes that don't work for me.
I've lowered my bitrate from 5000 down to 2000 and that helps slightly.
I've scaled the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1080x720 and that helps slightly.
I've changed CPU usage from high to low and that help even though my CPU isn't overloaded in OBS or task manager.
Current Settings:
1535694283387.png

1535694313584.png

Log files from my last stream I think this is: https://obsproject.com/logs/fbRbub7N0SyMHz_1
Speed test if it's at all relevant:
1535694487686.png

Elixerin

Okay so lets start with this, your internet speed is good enough, however for the resolution you have chosen (1920x1080) 2000 bitrate wont quite be enough even for 30 fps (but your problem is with in-game fps so ill leave it at that if you are happy with it). as for the game check to see if it is utilizing the cores properly without OBS being active, if you are playing something like an mmorpg or "big-world" fps shooters and your CPU isnt being used the right way (you can tell if this number is too low by looking at CPU usage and determining if the game is using too much or too little cpu, these games tend to use a lot however). You mentioned something about the CPU not being "overloaded" but check to see if its being utilized in the first place, sometimes low-mid(with that threadripper) CPU usage is good because it means the game is actually using it, maybe the games are being locked to 1 or 2 cores of it.

Anyways, on to my next point if you feel your cpu IS being used properly and its something with OBS i would try un-checking the rescale filter and just streaming at whatever resolution you want (your unnecessarily taxing the cpu by outputting 1920x1080 picture and it being downscaled to the final 1280x720 and usually provides diminishing returns). It's kind of like playing a game at 4K resolution just to have your eyes only see 1920x1080 (1080p monitor obviously) pixels while there is upscaling and downscaling involved its usually not noticeable to the average viewer and will look pretty much the same

I've come to find that the underlined information while may not be THAT taxing on cpu (ive tried the rescale majiggy) it somehow makes my games lag and or skip quite a bit during stream, Hope it all works out happy streaming!

ichimo

1535735975863.png

The bitrate and those settings determining stream speed and what not I was messing with to see if I could fix my fps issue. I believe all my cores are being used by both programs, however I don't know what the blue line on the graph is, I didn't see it the last time I was checking this.
This is without streaming:
1535736373018.png

Ok... so now my question is why the fuck is OBS using so much CPU? OBS says it's not using half of it and task manager says they're not using that much but this is saying that my CPU is at the limit???? Or am I just stupid and reading the wrong things?

Edit // https://obsproject.com/logs/s9Jo9YyMrNP415hF

Harold

Remove the command line arguments from the OBS shortcut for one.
Your log doesn't show a stream attempt.

Also, you absolutely should NOT be using a custom buffer size while streaming.

Harold

No. Custom buffer size is a separate setting.

Remove the display capture source from the scene, as it's causing a conflict with the game capture source.
You want to be using game capture, as it's the most efficient of the three core capture types.

ichimo

No. Custom buffer size is a separate setting.

Remove the display capture source from the scene, as it's causing a conflict with the game capture source.
You want to be using game capture, as it's the most efficient of the three core capture types.
I've done that and I guess OBS is showing the *correct* CPU usage as my charts and reading about 50%.