FLV File Corrupt? Can't remux or move file

GlitchDoctor

So this is quite the first. I just got done recording about an hour or so of a game for B-Roll for a video. Ever since my mishap years ago where I stopped OBS before hitting "Stop Recording" (.MP4 file then), I've learned to use .FLV as it's great against crashes/power outages/etc. Since then, I've also always hit "Stop Recording" to curb that sort of issue. I hit "Stop Recording" when I finished recording this video; however for some reason, this particular file can't be played through VLC Media Player (it shows the first frame but refuses to push through, eventually just showing me a black screen like it gave up), can't be remuxed through OBS (bar doesn't progress), and Windows can't even move it to a different HDD (says it "Can't read from the source file or disk."). Nothing like this has ever happened before, and the file is only 5.12 GB (I record at 12000 kbps, 1920x1080 @ 60 FPS). This doesn't make sense to me at all, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

AaronD

.FLV? The recommendation is .MKV. I hope you just got the names confused in reporting, and didn't actually switch to another poor choice.
(okay, a quick google search says that FLV is also crash-resilient, but it's still not the recommendation...except in an old post from 2016 here, which might have been where you got your info)

As for recovery, it sounds like something hiccup'ed and corrupted the file anyway. Unfortunately, crash-resilience doesn't necessarily mean bug-resilience. The first bit of data is there, but the rest can't be found (easily). A recovery tool might help, which reads the free space looking for useful data that isn't marked as such, but ANYTHING that you do with that drive risks losing it forever. That includes continuing to use the computer *at all*, and certainly installing the recovery tool after the fact.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
If you can't copy it in Windows then the file system itself may have errors, try chkdsk /f c: (or whichever drive you used). Note that this may be a destructive action - if the footage is important, take a copy of the entire disk first.