Fixing Video Stutter, is Frame Rate the Problem?

tomwho

I'm using a Canon R6 connected to my iMac M3 with a Cam Link 4K. I'm using OBS 30.0.2. In OBS my frame rate is set to 30fps (1920x1080), but the camera is set to 29.97fps (30fps isn't an option). I notice that the video sometimes stutters or lags a tiny bit every so often during a livestream, which appears in the recordings as well, and I'm wondering if that's because OBS is set to 30fps and my camera is set to 29.97fps. Should I instead try using the Fractional FPS Value in the Video settings to make it match my camera fps exactly?

I have the camera connected to a single USB port on my iMac M3 which has really fast USB-C ports, so, I don't think there's a bottleneck there that would be causing the stutter/lag. If the fps setting wouldn't be causing this, what else should I look at as a potential problem?

jetpackblues

I'd be curious if you learn anything about this. I'm using a canon 80d with the canon webcam utility and I also experience occasional pauses with the camera while everything else still runs fine.

tomwho

I'd be curious if you learn anything about this. I'm using a canon 80d with the canon webcam utility and I also experience occasional pauses with the camera while everything else still runs fine.
I've only been able to narrow things down a bit, but, the problem still persists. Are you using a Mac or PC for streaming?

I'm using an Elgato Cam Link 4K which I thought may have been the problem, but I downloaded and installed Elgato's Camera Hub software to connect to my camera via the Cam Link and the video is super smooth, no issues at all. I also ran OBS side-by-side with Camera Hub, and when the video was stuttering in OBS, it was perfectly smooth in Camera Hub. I also tried using a different video capture device, and it was exactly the same. I also tried different cables and USB hubs, but nothing made a difference.

So I can only conclude at this point that the problem exists with OBS, and I don't know if the issue is related to Macs with Apple Silicone (I'm using a brand new iMac M3 with the fastest processor and maxed out with RAM) or if there's some problem with Canon cameras and OBS, or something else. I've tried all kinds of settings in OBS after watching a dozen YouTube videos about Best OBS Settings for Streaming on a Mac, and I tried using a new Profile and Scene Collection that had only one scene with only a video source, but, nothing seems to make a difference. The stutter is always there in OBS. So I think it's some kind of bug in OBS, and I hope it'll be fixed in a future update.

pablofuente

I have an intel iMac Pro with a Canon R6 Mark 2, the camera is connected through usb and captured like a webcam in OBS, same settings. I actually set OBS to 29.97 fps.
I received an alert from the OBS analyzer stating that "Framerates other than 30fps or 60fps may lead to playback issues like stuttering or screen tearing. Stick to either of these for better compatibility with video players. You can change your OBS frame rate in Settings -> Video."
but you can see the result of what I do here: https://www.youtube.com/live/CbJVg91kYgQ?si=3Tjqk1ELl3HQ8LMR&t=6085
Do you notice the same effect you are suffering?
Thanks

topox11

Same problem and came to the same conclusion.
Tested with Camlink 4k, NDI and Blackmagic Ultrastudio mini 4k.
With H264 and HEVC, same result.
I also tried WIRECAST and the capturers work perfectly.
My opinion is that it is an OBS problem and I also hope it is solved as soon as possible.

jetpackblues

If you can, could any of you try using an older version of OBS to test out your camera? I went back to v27.2.4 and I noticed that my camera performed so much better. A lot of my plugins didn't work, but the camera worked great.

I've been trying to test other versions some with varying degrees of performance.

If you try some older versions, maybe report back with any that seem to work better?

topox11

The version you mention, I'm not wrong, is not native silicon, it is Intel, and you will be working on Rosetta.
Try the 30.0.2 intel version with the macos intel or universal plugins and it should also work fine, in addition to confirming that the problem is in the silicon version of OBS.
This week I can't do the test but next week I will try it.
Greetings

jetpackblues

The version you mention, I'm not wrong, is not native silicon, it is Intel, and you will be working on Rosetta.
Try the 30.0.2 intel version with the macos intel or universal plugins and it should also work fine, in addition to confirming that the problem is in the silicon version of OBS.
This week I can't do the test but next week I will try it.
Greetings
That is the version that I normally use that has the camera stutter issues for me. But this issue has persisted for multiple iterations of OBS.

Going back to 27.2.4 cleared up that specific issue for me. I'm trying to test out other versions to see what works best. I wanted others to test 27.2.4 to help pinpoint where the issue might have originated.

tomwho

I have an intel iMac Pro with a Canon R6 Mark 2, the camera is connected through usb and captured like a webcam in OBS, same settings. I actually set OBS to 29.97 fps.
I received an alert from the OBS analyzer stating that "Framerates other than 30fps or 60fps may lead to playback issues like stuttering or screen tearing. Stick to either of these for better compatibility with video players. You can change your OBS frame rate in Settings -> Video."
but you can see the result of what I do here: https://www.youtube.com/live/CbJVg91kYgQ?si=3Tjqk1ELl3HQ8LMR&t=6085
Do you notice the same effect you are suffering?
Thanks
Yes, the stutter seen in your video is what I'm also seeing, but, the stutter in my livestreams is a bit more noticeable than yours. My framerate in OBS is set to 30.

Interesting that you're using a Mac with an Intel chip (mine is an M3 chip) and still having the issue. But, as it appears the video only stutters in OBS and not in other apps that can accept the streaming video from the Cam Link, I think the problem is likely with OBS and some kind of issue with Mac OS.

We are both using Canon R6 cameras, I wonder what kind of camera the others are using that have replied above and are experiencing the same stuttering problems on a Mac.

topox11

My setup:
Mac Studio M2 MAX (64GB, 38 GPU)
Camera: Panasonic HC-X20
Capture: Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini
My live broadcasts are at 4K/60 and HEVC codec on YouTube
All the tested changes to bitrate, codec or different capturers do not eliminate stuttering, they only affect the quality of the broadcast.
I just tried another software, Wirecast, and there are no stutters because I can't get the image quality of OBS.
I put a link to a broadcast so you can see the stutters. They are mild but they bother me a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/live/49QOXRyt1tE?si=NlT-DDvplos3x6Cx

If anyone needs more information just ask me.
Greetings

jetpackblues

Yes, the stutter seen in your video is what I'm also seeing, but, the stutter in my livestreams is a bit more noticeable than yours. My framerate in OBS is set to 30.

Interesting that you're using a Mac with an Intel chip (mine is an M3 chip) and still having the issue. But, as it appears the video only stutters in OBS and not in other apps that can accept the streaming video from the Cam Link, I think the problem is likely with OBS and some kind of issue with Mac OS.

We are both using Canon R6 cameras, I wonder what kind of camera the others are using that have replied above and are experiencing the same stuttering problems on a Mac.
Yeah i'm also using an intel mac and also have the stuttering issue. Seems to work fine in discord. OBS is the only one that gives me trouble.

tomwho

Seems like we all have different cameras and video capture devices, and the only common denominator is that we are all using Mac computers. So I really hope the OBS dev team can find what's causing the video stutter (do they read this forum?), I'm happy to provide more information if needed.

jetpackblues

Seems like we all have different cameras and video capture devices, and the only common denominator is that we are all using Mac computers. So I really hope the OBS dev team can find what's causing the video stutter (do they read this forum?), I'm happy to provide more information if needed.
I'm actually unsure on the best way to report these issues, but we should all do it so it becomes known and fixable.

conrmahr

I am also seeing this problem on v30.0.2 with a M1 mac mini. Posted about it before I saw this post.

conrmahr

SOLVED! I set up my input devices as scenes so they could be layered throughout overlays. I think I got a little too detailed made multiple macOS Screen Capture scenes. After deleting them, my CPU stayed under 5%, FPS stabilized at 60FPS and Frames missed due to render lag was < 0.1%. Hope this helps.

jetpackblues

SOLVED! I set up my input devices as scenes so they could be layered throughout overlays. I think I got a little too detailed made multiple macOS Screen Capture scenes. After deleting them, my CPU stayed under 5%, FPS stabilized at 60FPS and Frames missed due to render lag was < 0.1%. Hope this helps.
Would you mind explaining that a bit? You put the input devices in scenes by themselves? When did you notice it being fixed?

conrmahr

Would you mind explaining that a bit? You put the input devices in scenes by themselves? When did you notice it being fixed?
For each individual source, I made a scene for it, so I could nest them in another scene and make them reusable. But I started to get overly complicated and made a nested scene with different macOS Screen Capture sources like only these 4 apps, one for each monitor, and so on. Once I deleted the nested scenes without only a macOS Screen Capture source, I saw everything go back to normal.

topox11

Hello, I've had no problems for 3 weeks and don't ask me why.
The only change I made was to set all the video sources for the scenes at 59.94 frames, including the stinger transition I used.
Then I changed the video settings for the transmission to 60 frames, I had already tried this, and suddenly dodo worked perfectly.
I hadn't mentioned anything because I don't see the logic but it's working perfectly since this change.
I hope it helps you something
Greetings

jetpackblues

Hello, I've had no problems for 3 weeks and don't ask me why.
The only change I made was to set all the video sources for the scenes at 59.94 frames, including the stinger transition I used.
Then I changed the video settings for the transmission to 60 frames, I had already tried this, and suddenly dodo worked perfectly.
I hadn't mentioned anything because I don't see the logic but it's working perfectly since this change.
I hope it helps you something
Greetings
Hiya! When you mean you set video source scenes to 59.94 frames, are you doing that per source in the properties menu or in the OBS settings some where?