Question / Help Finder freezing when browsing file for Media Source or other source items

cbeckford

Hello! I am using OBS on my 2017 MacBook Pro, running Mojave 10.14.6. I never had any real problems with it until about 2 months ago, when it started freezing when I go to browse my files to load in something for the Media Source. What specifically happens is that I click on Browse, my Finder appears, and when I go to click on it, the Finder freezes for nearly 10 seconds and I cannot select anything. This has caused significant damage to my live streams and I pretty much cannot use OBS until I can fix this. Any advice?

Here's a log file - https://obsproject.com/logs/5dleLdRBvvsL0qO2

Narcogen

You're browsing the file system.. while streaming?

I'm guessing that whatever MacOS is usually doing during a file picker operation is causing a problem-- it's possibly trying to list items on any mounted file servers, load thumbnails for files it sees, or some other operation that's causes a temporary hangup. But OBS isn't expecting that to be happening while it's streaming, so it might well react poorly.

Is there a reason you're adding media sources during a stream and not before?

cbeckford

You're browsing the file system.. while streaming?

I'm guessing that whatever MacOS is usually doing during a file picker operation is causing a problem-- it's possibly trying to list items on any mounted file servers, load thumbnails for files it sees, or some other operation that's causes a temporary hangup. But OBS isn't expecting that to be happening while it's streaming, so it might well react poorly.

Is there a reason you're adding media sources during a stream and not before?

I actually have this problem while not streaming too. However, I use media source during stream as I play video submissions from my viewers and often replace videos throughout the video. Do you have any advice for this in the context that this issue exists whenever I use OBS and not just when I stream?

Narcogen

I don't know, honestly. I don't remember specifically whether I've encountered such delays when adding media sources, but then again, I've not ever attempted it during an active stream.

I do believe, however, that opening that dialog to browse the file system is essentially using that function within the Finder, so I'm not sure the cause of that delay can be troubleshooted from within OBS.