Question / Help ffmpeg works but OBS doesn't. Black screen for desktop capture and for 'windows' with many other applications

Young Nam

Hi, I'm one of those people who have the 'black screen issue' because I'm using my laptop and I have an external and an embedded GPU. The problem occurs when trying to capture the desktop, and many of other windows like ... chrome. So pretty much, I can't capture anything.

However, using ffmpeg command does capture my screen, and even the windows that aren't captured by OBS.

The command is something like

`ffmpeg -f gdigrab -offset_x 1920 -framerate 60 -video_size hd1080 -i desktop -crf 0 -preset ultrafast FILENAME.avi`

Executing this in the powershell starts capturing my desktop live, then I can play it back without audio, and can edit in my video editor.

Also, on the same computer, OBS DOES work on my Ubuntu, and just works as expected.

It used to work on Windows with the 'classic version' with some tweakings that I don't remember how to do it. And this tweaking doesn't work on the OBS classic either anymore.

Should I be keep using ffmpeg to capture things when OBS used work on Windows and does work on Ubuntu?

Please help.

Hope the following video helps. Captured with ffmpeg, showing OBS preview not working.

https://youtu.be/QkdQ15siiSk?t=15s