Question / Help Event with guest

streamlive14

My company is planning a big online event where we want to stream a live Q&A but will welcome in live guests from different locations at different times of the event. It seems like Periscope or Google Hangouts are the best to use? We have OBS and restream to push to our stream out to our connected live streams but would love advice on what program to moderate the guests before we put them on the live stream without a control room.

FerretBomb

Hangouts works fine, Skype can also be used to provide an NDI feed for individual control (with the obs-ndi plugin and RealTek NDI redistributable installed). Discord also can work, though you need to disable hardware acceleration in Discord's settings to allow it to be window-capturable.

streamlive14

Hangouts works fine, Skype can also be used to provide an NDI feed for individual control (with the obs-ndi plugin and RealTek NDI redistributable installed). Discord also can work, though you need to disable hardware acceleration in Discord's settings to allow it to be window-capturable.
Thanks! With Skype you could have someone call a producer who talks to the person before putting them live?

FerretBomb

I haven't used Skype in a long time, so I'm not sure about that.
Essentially you'd need to run Skype on the system running OBS, again with the obs-ndi plugin and NewTek NDI redist installed. As I understand it, Skype provides an NDI handle for each person in a call, so you could set up OBS with an NDI receiver source to grab the audio/video from an individual person in the call.
If you can set it up somehow that they Skype-call the producer, and the producer can from there pull them into a private call with the OBS machine, your production tech could then set them up as an NDI source and add them to the scene using Studio Mode in OBS, then transition over to reveal them once their capture source is set up.

Obviously, do some proof-of-concept testing first. :) But I'm pretty sure it should be possible.

opticitch

I see that you said Hangouts works well. I have a similar need, and I would like to avoid the Skype watermark by using Hangouts. Does Hangouts provide an NDI handle? I haven't been able to find anything in the forums or elsewhere. People normally want to input OBS video to Hangouts. I need to take video FROM hangouts and stream it elsewhere like above.

I have the NDI plugin and other requirements installed, but I don't see Hangouts as an available source when adding an NDI source to a scene.