Encoding Taking too long no matter what settings!

ZenJames

I'm currently trying to record a nicer-looking game (Poppy Playtim Chapter 3) I gues, but iv'e never had this issue before even with other games with similar graphics.

OBS says to encoding is too slow and I have High cpu or Gpu.
The first time I tried I was using the Nvidia NVENC x264 and my GPU was hitting 100% and the recording was extremely laggy (Only Gameplay, not Camera)
The second time I tried x264 and at slow speed for CPU Preset and my CPU was at 100%

This last time I lowered all the in-game settings, put it on Medium on x264 and kept Task Manager open to track my usage and although task manager said my cpu & gpu never hit over 50% Obs overloaded and said my gpu hit 100% and crashed...

Please help. let me know if there are any questions i need to answer!

My settings are

Recording MP4
Encoder usually - Nvidia NVENC x264
CBR
Bitrate 50,000
Keyframe 0
CPU usage normally is "Slow" but currently "Medium"

pc info!

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K

OBS Log

OBS Analyser

Daameer

These are tips below for help in general but I think you have a different issue - that 50k bitrate.
If you want to stick to recording in CBR around 8000 is ok for 1080p.
I would suggest using CQP/CRF instead CBR for recording. You can see more about those in other posts of the forum.

These tips help in general in case it wasn't the bitrate:
- Try running OBS in admin mode
- enable VSync in game (consider lowering refresh rate of monitor while streaming/recording the game in case you have one with high refresh rate)
- lower the graphic settings of the game

ZenJames

I'm recording in 1440, I feel like every time I try CRF my videos get unbearably pixelated and I run into issues, so I just gave up on those. I may try again since I'm getting desperate.

The other ones I tried!
OBS is always in Admin mode, Vsync is on, & I lowered the Graphics to 1440p (Usually I run at 4k).

qhobbes

1. The Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling ("HAGS") feature in Windows is currently known to cause performance and capture issues with OBS, games and overlay tools. It's an experimental feature and we recommend disabling it via these instructions.
2. Run the Auto-Config Wizard. Do not change anything. Close and re-open OBS.

If still having an issue, post new log.

ZenJames

1. The Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling ("HAGS") feature in Windows is currently known to cause performance and capture issues with OBS, games and overlay tools. It's an experimental feature and we recommend disabling it via these instructions.

I actually had it shut off on my first attempt that had the issue and found somewhere to try turning it on.
Here is the log for one of those attempts!

I tried every fix I could find so far!

Attachments

• 2024-02-11 14-57-04.txt
    25.2 KB · Views: 14

ZenJames

Just read the auto-config, I tried, but it changes my settings to simple which doesn't allot multiple audio outs which I need!

qhobbes

1. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene (Live Streaming).
2. Change the resolution on your Cam Link from 3840x2160 to 2560x1440 or less dependent on the size of the camera in the scene. Also change the FPS from 23.98 to 30, assuming the source supports it.
3. Your log contains no recording session. Results of this log analysis are limited. Please post a link to a clean log file.
To make a clean log file, please follow these steps:

1) Restart OBS.
2) Start your recording for at least 30 seconds. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc.
3) Stop your recording.
4) Select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Send that link here.