Question / Help Encoding Overloaded (no problems yesterday) [Mod edit: SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
It's pretty obvious there are still new threads being made constantly about this issue by other people. This thread is the first I've ever posted. I don't understand how this thread warrants restricting me from posting new threads?

I would be more than happy to copy and paste the 4 paragraphs I wrote but you permanently removed it. I'm just trying to help other streamers out.

Paraphrased, this is what I attempted to post:
1) open up Resource Monitor
2) click on the CPU tab to view each individual core
3) while in game, if CPU-0 is being maxed out, alt+tab out of the game then alt+tab back into the game
4) repeat step 3 until the other cores kick in and CPU-0 isn't at 100% anymore

Note: use game capture with game mode fullscreen. don't click to change the focus between obs, the game, or other open programs. As long as I literally pressed "alt+tab" to move back and forth, I didn't have any encoding issues. The moment I tried to use my cursor to change the focus, the high encoding occurred all over again.

I deleted it because keeping all information in a central place is better than opening new threads for the same exact issue. It just confuses users, because I'm not going to go into every thread and repeat the same information over and over that's already present here.

Thank you for your workaround steps, but we've already identified the cause as being Avast, and disabling Game Mode or uninstalling it completely (my personal recommendation, I do not speak for anyone else) corrects the issue.

jumpinspider

I deleted it because keeping all information in a central place is better than opening new threads for the same exact issue. It just confuses users, because I'm not going to go into every thread and repeat the same information over and over that's already present here.

Thank you for your workaround steps, but we've already identified the cause as being Avast, and disabling Game Mode or uninstalling it completely (my personal recommendation, I do not speak for anyone else) corrects the issue.

Avast may have been causing the single core / CPU-0 issue but my overall CPU usage still goes through the roof and causes general high encoding issues when I disable it. The Avast fix may work for people with super high-end CPU's but there is something else going on that's not being addressed that wasn't occurring three days ago.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Avast may have been causing the single core / CPU-0 issue but my overall CPU usage still goes through the roof and causes general high encoding issues when I disable it. The Avast fix may work for people with super high-end CPU's but there is something else going on that's not being addressed that wasn't occurring three days ago.

I apologize for deleting the thread, but I stand by my decision as it's completely related to this topic, regardless if the proposed fix (disabling game mode) did not work. The reports I got disabling it did not work in some cases, Avast had to be completely uninstalled. It's really a terrible program.

I've also been deleting/redirecting other threads (about a dozen so far) to post here for this issue, so I'm not singling you out, and I'm sorry if you feel that way. I'm not here 24/7, and some threads may have slipped past, however.

Did you completely uninstall Avast to test if that fixes your issues?

Nothing changed with OBS in the past few days, so if something else on your system is causing performance issues, and it will be very difficult for us to track. You can check our troubleshooting guide here if you don't think it's Avast: https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/wiki/General-Performance-and-Encoding-Issues

ShishyTV

Actually created a thread last night on this. 3 months of steady streaming on my machine, changed no settings whatsoever, encoder overloading constantly on Fallout 4 and PUBG. Answers would be awesome considering how many seem to be getting affected. Fix would be even better.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Actually created a thread last night on this. 3 months of steady streaming on my machine, changed no settings whatsoever, encoder overloading constantly on Fallout 4 and PUBG. Answers would be awesome considering how many seem to be getting affected. Fix would be even better.

Are you using Avast or AVG? If not, your issue is unrelated here and will be addressed when someone has time to look. The OBS moderation/support team is all volunteers, and we do this in our spare time.

Assuming that all performance issues are related is a fallacy. There are thousands of possible reasons you could be having issues, and this topic is specific for Avast users.

Ok so i read all 6 pages and I am experiencing the same issues as well as the others. Except I feel my scenario is a bit different.

I run a 2 PC setup with 1 PC being solely dedicated to running streaming software and chat. Like the others everything was fine and dandy until monday 5/8/2017. I have been running my streams at 720p30 5000kbs Very Fast preset for nearly a year with absolutely no issues at all. Then out of no where, OBS is giving me the middle finger in the air.

My streaming PC has NO anti virus software installed on it at all outside of windows defender so I know that's not a contributing factor. It doesn't matter what game I am playing because my gaming PC and streaming PC are 2 separate entities.

CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: HiS Radeon 7770
GPU driver version:
Driver Packaging Version: 16.40.2311.1002-161121a-309377E
Game causing this issue: N/A dedicated Streaming PC
Issue occurs with NO game open?: N/A Dedicated Streaming PC
Antivirus/Security software installed? NO
Provide link to OBS log with a recording/streaming session where this issue happens (if available): https://gist.github.com/fcc229424fa5a10ef560c7609a40a038

I am hoping I can get some kind of help on this as I feel it may have been the windows update that was pushed. I know it's not my internet situation because I had the lines on the outside / inside and my modem all replaced.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated guys.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
@MysticSpade Terribly sorry for the trouble, but since your issue is unrelated to the Avast/AVG issue here, can you please create a new thread?

I'm locking this one as Avast/AVG have released updates that correct this specific issue. Any new issues should be submitted as a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.