Encoder overload, dropped and skipped frames

Trzcina

Hi

As in the title I've got some problems with OBS. Before I go into details a long story short - the problems started when I reinstalled Windows and they weren't present before. I was able to stream Warzone without any drops in OBS and only 5-10FPS less in the game. So the problem has started after the format. No matter what I try to stream in random moments OBS gives the information that the encoder is overloaded and when i look at the FPS counter in OBS it drops frames from 60 to about 20, sometimes 40 and sometimes only to 58 (which wouldnt be tragic considering that are only 2 frames, but the rest is really annoying). When this happens there are a lot of skipped frames, and from a 1.5h stream the value of skipped frames is at around 5-6k. This is the value of the frames skipped because of the rendering latency. I tried to do everything I could:
- changing the resolution
- lowering stream quality
- lowering in game settings
- changing Nvidia settings
- changing back to x264 from New NVENV
- program priority and opening as administrator,
just nothing helps. The games run without any problems it's a OBS problem because I don't see any bigger drops in game as it should if that would be a hardware problem. Maybe someone would have an idea and if not, I think that the only way to resolve it is to reformat again because of the problem does not exist in Linux and I think it's really weird.

My specs fyi:
Ryzen 5 3600
16GB DDR4 RAM
RTX 2060 Super

And for more - yes I have enough space on my hard drive, yes I don't run any excesive apps that would drain power out of my computer, yes I scanned the system for viruses and yet nothing helps. If anyone would now any solution than I would be very grateful :) Also I attach my settings I have always streamed on this PC.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 2.png
    2.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 3.png
    3.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 103

qhobbes

1. Disable Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning
2. Set your FPS to 30 and filter to bicubic per https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/which-downscale-filter-to-use.125517/
3. Change your colour range to Partial.

Trzcina

1. Disable Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning
2. Set your FPS to 30 and filter to bicubic per https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/which-downscale-filter-to-use.125517/
3. Change your colour range to Partial.
Tried those options unfortunatly it didn't work (tried bicubic at my last stream yesterday and 30 fps at a stream a week ago). I attach a log file from yesterday, maybe something is there that I couldn't really spot.

Attachments

• 2020-10-09 19-15-19.txt
    258.5 KB · Views: 35

qhobbes

That log shows Rendering Lag and Encoder Overload. Please post a new log with the suggested changes.

Daryll

That log shows Rendering Lag and Encoder Overload. Please post a new log with the suggested changes.

hey man how about drop rendering lag, skipped frames during in game full screen mode in warzone? but if i set it to fullscreen borderless no frame drop and skipped frames

thanks

Trzcina

So yeah, somehow forgot about that (had some things and forgot about the post).

I took qhobbes advice but still there were some problems, but after some tweaking I got a stable stream with quality that I'm happy about. The settings I changed are:
Psycho Visual Tuning - OFF
Windows Game Mode - ON
This helped. Thanks for the replies, problem solved :)

Daryll

So yeah, somehow forgot about that (had some things and forgot about the post).

I took qhobbes advice but still there were some problems, but after some tweaking I got a stable stream with quality that I'm happy about. The settings I changed are:
Psycho Visual Tuning - OFF
Windows Game Mode - ON
This helped. Thanks for the replies, problem solved :)

what i mean is did you try to check if you have encoding lag and rendering lag during fullscreen mode and fullscreen borderless mode in in game settings.

what is your in game settings fullscreen borderless? or fullscreen?

because in obs i think there is no threshold regarding rendering lag and encoding lag. unlike streamlabs obs there is threshold which is you ca not notice in the status of your obs if youre having a encoding lag and rendering lag. unless you hit the threshold percentage of these settings.

Trzcina

what i mean is did you try to check if you have encoding lag and rendering lag during fullscreen mode and fullscreen borderless mode in in game settings.

what is your in game settings fullscreen borderless? or fullscreen?

because in obs i think there is no threshold regarding rendering lag and encoding lag. unlike streamlabs obs there is threshold which is you ca not notice in the status of your obs if youre having a encoding lag and rendering lag. unless you hit the threshold percentage of these settings.

Always played fullscreen with almost all settings on Ultra with some that reduce what you see to low, RTX off and there was no lag at all then, and now it changed to how it was after the settings changed in OBS. I mean no noticeable, the average time to render a frame varies from 0.9-1.5ms and nothing more.

Now I don't even have a way to check because I unisntalled COD before they introduced the patch where you can reduce the size of it and have no intensions on installing it any time soon.