Elgato HD60S+ Freeze Macbook Pro M1

supremeniky

i bought the macbook pro with the m1 chip and the elgato hd60s+ they looked working fine but sometimes the elgato freeze on a frame and i have to unplug and plug it again to fix the problem... it’s quite frustrating because i’m a streamer and i’m not constantly keeping attention on the preview... so i find that the stream is just freezed on a frame while me and my webcam is working.
Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Thx in advance,
Supremeniky

supremeniky

i found a fix: i have to keep both the elgato game capture software and obs studio. the elgato program can “talk“ with the device and can set the settings you want. so, it avoids errors and the game capture from obs doesn’t crash.
it wasn’t a cable problem, i have tested each one separately in another setup without errors.

jayarenrique

Hi.

I have the same problem. But I have the MacBook Air M1.

At first I thought it was because of the USB to USB-C adapter that I used to connect my HD60S+ to my MacBook, so I bought a Thunderbolt 3 cable to get rid of the adapter, but the problem still persisted. I'm so glad you found a workaround!

i found a fix: i have to keep both the elgato game capture software and obs studio.

I will try that too to avoid the freezing. It is so frustrating as I have to replug the wires just to get it working again.

Thanks!

supremeniky

Hi.

I have the same problem. But I have the MacBook Air M1.

At first I thought it was because of the USB to USB-C adapter that I used to connect my HD60S+ to my MacBook, so I bought a Thunderbolt 3 cable to get rid of the adapter, but the problem still persisted. I'm so glad you found a workaround!

I will try that too to avoid the freezing. It is so frustrating as I have to replug the wires just to get it working again.

Thanks!

No problem man if i’ll find a better solution i’ll post it on this post to keep evryone updated

Josh C.

Hi, I’m just recording through OBS Studio but have been experiencing the same issue on M1 MacBook Air with HD60 S+. Like jay I’ve also tried different HDMI cables, USB to USB-C adapter, high speed Thunderbolt 3 (it’s even Apple brand!), but all configurations seem to be at the mercy of a random frame freeze at any time. I have to quit OBS and plug the Elgato back in to refresh the canvas to try again.

When I manage to get an uninterrupted recording, the quality’s great with 1080p at a constant 60 FPS; the log files also indicate nothing troubling like encoding overload.

i found a fix: i have to keep both the elgato game capture software and obs studio. the elgato program can “talk“ with the device and can set the settings you want. so, it avoids errors and the game capture from obs doesn’t crash.
it wasn’t a cable problem, i have tested each one separately in another setup without errors.
I’m a bit confused sorry with what you’re referring to here. I installed Game Capture and had it open while recording through OBS, but made no difference for me. Since it’s not supported by Rosetta the Mac doesn’t even treat it as an application; it recognizes my HD60 S+ for audio input but beyond that, what other settings can be tweaked?

supremeniky

Hi, I’m just recording through OBS Studio but have been experiencing the same issue on M1 MacBook Air with HD60 S+. Like jay I’ve also tried different HDMI cables, USB to USB-C adapter, high speed Thunderbolt 3 (it’s even Apple brand!), but all configurations seem to be at the mercy of a random frame freeze at any time. I have to quit OBS and plug the Elgato back in to refresh the canvas to try again.

When I manage to get an uninterrupted recording, the quality’s great with 1080p at a constant 60 FPS; the log files also indicate nothing troubling like encoding overload.

I’m a bit confused sorry with what you’re referring to here. I installed Game Capture and had it open while recording through OBS, but made no difference for me. Since it’s not supported by Rosetta the Mac doesn’t even treat it as an application; it recognizes my HD60 S+ for audio input but beyond that, what other settings can be tweaked?

Hi Josh, The steps that I do every time i’m about to stream are:
  1. Turn on the Macbook Pro
  2. Connect the Elgato HD60S+ using a thunderbolt 3 cable
  3. Turn on the HDMI source (for me the PS4 Pro)
  4. When the Elgato booted and I have HDMI passthrough, I open the Elgato Game Capture HD software
  5. Change the settings for the recording (Remember to disable the flashback recording to avoid memory problem)
  6. While leaving it open start OBS studio and i’m good to go
Lately i have done even 6 hours long stream without a problem.
(i have the upgraded 16gb of unified memory version, the encoding method set on "x264" and the speed on "ultrafast")

I hope this would help you,
Supremeniky

Josh C.

Hi Josh, The steps that I do every time i’m about to stream are:
  1. Turn on the Macbook Pro
  2. Connect the Elgato HD60S+ using a thunderbolt 3 cable
  3. Turn on the HDMI source (for me the PS4 Pro)
  4. When the Elgato booted and I have HDMI passthrough, I open the Elgato Game Capture HD software
  5. Change the settings for the recording (Remember to disable the flashback recording to avoid memory problem)
  6. While leaving it open start OBS studio and i’m good to go
Lately i have done even 6 hours long stream without a problem.
(i have the upgraded 16gb of unified memory version, the encoding method set on "x264" and the speed on "ultrafast")

I hope this would help you,
Supremeniky
Sorry, forgot to respond earlier but thanks so much for the guidance! Stupidly I hadn't realized at first that the OBS freezing also meant Game Capture couldn't display the HD60 S+ as a capture option until I did the plugging in/out business. But since that's solved, I've recorded three 40 min+ files at the same quality as before with no freezing.

I've also got 16GB and 1TB loaded on this one, but I do have several Safari tabs open while recording so I'm just using the x264 low CPU preset on superfast to err on the side of caution. I could experiment with advanced settings down the line but for now, I'm perfectly happy with the output quality even once processed through YouTube - close to 0 lagged frames (odd one here or there), and from the log files CPU usage seems to cap at ~35%. I'm by no means a performance nut, and the M1 chips I've gathered are pretty beastly, but I'm very pleased with these results from an entry level laptop. Again I appreciate the help, cheers!