Question / Help Elgato HD60 Pro capture issue

chocoemo

OK two things are different in my config. 1) could you try setting HDMI color range to Standard, I'm not sure it will help but it's a difference that I noted. 2) my input signal is straight 1080p, I can try with a lower resolution but it'll take me some time to set up and let you know what happens.
I've used both the standard and extended with no different results. Anything put within the Elgato software however hasn't been reflected on OBS whenever I was able to actually get that configuration window to come up because OBS settings are supposed to be separate from it.

To be honest I have no idea why you are having so many problems this literally just worked for me without any problem at all. The config is tied together, I know you can change things independently in OBS but if you start the Elgato software everything gets set back.

What driver do you have installed for your device? Go to Device manager, right click Computer, Manage, Device Manager and drill down to Sound, Video, and Game Controllers. Right click on Game Capture HD60 Pro and choose the Driver tab. Mine looks like this:

Elgato Driver.JPG

So my driver version is 1.1.0.160.

chocoemo

To be honest I have no idea why you are having so many problems this literally just worked for me without any problem at all. The config is tied together, I know you can change things independently in OBS but if you start the Elgato software everything gets set back.

What driver do you have installed for your device? Go to Device manager, right click Computer, Manage, Device Manager and drill down to Sound, Video, and Game Controllers. Right click on Game Capture HD60 Pro and choose the Driver tab. Mine looks like this:

View attachment 13550

So my driver version is 1.1.0.160.
I have 1.1.1.162 because it's the latest version.

goffballz

Going to upload a youtube video demonstrating the problem in a couple of hours.

Thank you very much Adrian for the help :)

and chocoemo, please for the love of god, let me know if you come across a solution. Vice versa.

chocoemo

Going to upload a youtube video demonstrating the problem in a couple of hours.

Thank you very much Adrian for the help :)

and chocoemo, please for the love of god, let me know if you come across a solution. Vice versa.
For sure. I think you and I both are dying to get our card working lol. I'm not in too much of a hurry, but I'm really wanting to get it working by Friday since Twilight Princess HD comes out then.

OK I think I have recreated your problem and it was you mentioning Zelda that did it :-)

I presume you are both running WiiU?

Change your settings for your WiiU from 480p to 1080p. On your WiiU go to System Settings, TV, TV Resolution.

When I have this set to 1080p my Elgato works no problem, when I have it set to 480p my Elgato shows the same problems as you where the image is frozen in the preview.

One further thing, make sure you do this without either OBS or Elgato software running. Then once you've changed it to 1080p start the Elgato software and make sure that is OK and then close it and then start OBS. I got stuck in OBS with it not working at all and had to go through these steps to fix it.

Last edited:

Videophile

Elgato
OK I think I have recreated your problem and it was you mentioning Zelda that did it :-)

I presume you are both running WiiU?

Change your settings for your WiiU from 480p to 1080p. On your WiiU go to System Settings, TV, TV Resolution.

When I have this set to 1080p my Elgato works no problem, when I have it set to 480p my Elgato shows the same problems as you where the image is frozen in the preview.

One further thing, make sure you do this without either OBS or Elgato software running. Then once you've changed it to 1080p start the Elgato software and make sure that is OK and then close it and then start OBS. I got stuck in OBS with it not working at all and had to go through these steps to fix it.
This is what will most likely help. I have written a guide on all known issues and tips for the Pro, and the custom res box should not be used. There is also generally no reason to use that box anyways, as you will always want the Pro to output the maximum quality. Take a look: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-optimize-the-hd60-pro-in-obs.283/

Good advice that's just fixed a problem for me where I couldn't shut OBS down cleanly, changed back to Device Default and it's fine again.

goffballz

Here's the video gentlemen:

Edit: in the video meant to say I have the regular hd60, on top of having the hd60 pro, as well as original hd.

First off nice video thanks for that :-)

So I mentioned the WiiU resolution because I saw that @chocoemo had an incoming resolution of 480p which seemed a bit odd. But as you say you have an incoming of 1080p so all should be good.

I went through the exact steps that you took at the beginning of your video and it just works, I have the same driver as you and the same config in the Elgato software. Worked no problem.

Couple of things

1) I have 0.13.2 OBS studio so it's worth upgrading however I can't remember that there was anything specific fixed between the two builds related to this problem
2) I only have one Elgato device - have you tried unplugging all your other devices? If you do unplug them do they still appear in the drop down list in the Elgato software?
3) I never ever see any video when I select the Helper device, I have a feeling that this is related to the multiple devices but I'm not 100%.

I know this isn't much help, I am just trying to narrow things down. Did you say you have the same problem with other consoles as well?

chocoemo

I'm currently using a Wii with the HD60 Pro. I don't even think 1080p is possible with a Wii. However, I don't think this is what's causing the issue considering goffballz is having the same issue with a 1080p res.

chocoemo

Did a new test on my side. Tried it with my PS4 to test about the resolution. Works better than the Wii but still produces the same result in the end. When I'm first adding the source and setting it to the Game Capture HD, it will work properly in the preview window. As soon as I select okay, it works for 3 seconds and then instantly freezes just as before. I have yet to try the switch method that goffballz got to work, but it's really not an ideal solution if that's what ends up being the only way to make it work.

chocoemo

Only solution that I've gotten to work is to use OBS Studio 32-bit, use the Elgato Helper Device, and then make a custom audio device and set it to Elgato Helper Device. I uninstalled those other drivers that actually gave it a number so it says unavailable again. This, however, has been my best option. Until more is figured out and I can use the Game Capture HD as a source with the HD60 Pro, this is gonna have to be my only option for now seeing as it currently works and it works pretty consistently as well. Using 64-bit Studio produces video but choppy audio so that's why I decided to try 32-bit which worked.

Here's just some screenshots to reflect the settings I mentioned above
http://prntscr.com/aagjmh
http://prntscr.com/aagk25
http://prntscr.com/aagkje (moved the selected box up for this one just to show that it does work)

So essentially while I can't use the Elgato software's settings, I can now use the card itself with the intended delay-less setup. I will settle for now, but I really hope something comes around that will fix the issue with the freezing.

Videophile

Elgato

FaHu

This is what will most likely help. I have written a guide on all known issues and tips for the Pro, and the custom res box should not be used. There is also generally no reason to use that box anyways, as you will always want the Pro to output the maximum quality. Take a look: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-optimize-the-hd60-pro-in-obs.283/
Why did this options still exist. If it doesnt work right. Wouldnt it be better to disable the option in any future patch. That noone missunderstand it.

Videophile

Elgato
Why did this options still exist. If it doesnt work right. Wouldnt it be better to disable the option in any future patch. That noone missunderstand it.
These are all default settings by OBS, so it would be up to OBS to hide/blank out those options.

The HD60 Pro configures itself when first added, and those settings generally do not need changing.