Question / Help Elgato HD60 Pro capture issue

chocoemo

Okay so I've spent the last couple days trying to search for options that may be able to help me configure my HD60 Pro card into both OBS and OBS Studio. I'd produced one result that isn't really ideal considering part of the reason I bought the card to begin with.

What I ended up with is having to download a special driver so that the "Elgato Helper Device (unavailable)" option of the video capture devices would now be able to easily be recognized instead as a #01 because the driver that I downloaded is actually intended for multiple HD60 Pro cards I guess. This, while worked, caused an insane amount of audio delay which really is not what I'm looking for with a card like this. I wanted to make streaming easy, not go through the delay issues again.

My REAL issue here is honestly with the inability to use the "Elgato Game Capture HD" video capture device. If I use it in either OBS software, the capture itself displays only a few frames of the game and instantly forever freezes. It doesn't progress or do anything. If I remove that source or try to change the capture device to something else, OBS freezes and forces me to close out of it. I know that my capture card works fine because there were no issues with the Elgato software itself.

Tl;dr: Elgato Game Capture HD video capture device option freezes the video and then freezes/crashes OBS instantly if you try to remove or change the device being used of that source in any way.

I would include a log file, but my settings currently aren't consistent due to the changes I've made and all the uninstall and reinstall things I've done including completely clearing all of settings intentionally while uninstalling OBS. If there are any tips or anything that I might be able to do to figure out why I seem to be the only one that has this issue, that'd be amazing. I'm going to see if Xsplit maybe has this issue as well as I'm not sure if it's only an issue with OBS currently or if it seems to be something to do with the Elgato software in itself.

A few notes:
I'm using Windows 7 Pro, I received the HD60 Pro on Friday, and I was previously using the Game Capture HD.

Last edited:
I have an HD 60 Pro and it works fine with OBS Studio. All I did was install the drivers from the Elgato web site and then choose the correct device, not the helper, when adding a new Video Capture Device. It works a treat for capturing both from PC and console.

chocoemo

I have an HD 60 Pro and it works fine with OBS Studio. All I did was install the drivers from the Elgato web site and then choose the correct device, not the helper, when adding a new Video Capture Device. It works a treat for capturing both from PC and console.
My issue is that I never used the helper device until I kept having the intended device constantly freeze for me. I haven't been able to successfully get it to work.

Right OK, you definetly don't need the helper device. Does it work OK with the Elgato software? Can you create a scene with one source which is the HD 60 Pro and upload a screen shot of OBS and the latest log?

chocoemo

Right OK, you definetly don't need the helper device. Does it work OK with the Elgato software? Can you create a scene with one source which is the HD 60 Pro and upload a screen shot of OBS and the latest log?
I'll do it with both 64-bit and 32-bit which both seem to produce the same results. Also note that I am using OBS 0.13.2

64-Bit: http://prntscr.com/a9646g (Screenshot of OBS. It is frozen on what you see in the picture.)
https://gist.github.com/048625e24e0fdb83b8d9 (Log)

32-Bit: http://prntscr.com/a9669i (Screenshot. Also frozen on what is shown.)
https://gist.github.com/6478a305cf7c5aabea25 (Log)

chocoemo

The helper device is the only one that shows proper video output. No freezing or anything. I just get insane audio delay as result maybe from the driver. I'd love to get the Elgato Game Capture HD one to work though. I just keep getting what is shown above as result.

Doesn't matter which version can you upload two more screenshots for me.

Right click on the source and choose Properties and take a screen shot of that window, mine looks like this:

elgato1.jpg

Then with that window open click Configure Video and take a screen shot of the Elgato config page.

chocoemo

Doesn't matter which version can you upload two more screenshots for me.

Right click on the source and choose Properties and take a screen shot of that window, mine looks like this:

View attachment 13530

Then with that window open click Configure Video and take a screen shot of the Elgato config page.
http://prntscr.com/a9ivcc Here's the source properties screenshot. It won't allow me to open the elgato config though. Clicking Configure Video does absolutely nothing. It's like trying to use the Elgato Game Capture HD source actually crashes the software or something and then OBS crashes from whenever I remove the source.

I have perfect audio and video in Elgato software without OBS.

All your settings look fine but there is obviously something wrong on the Elgato side because when you click Configure Video it should display the Elgato configuration options. Do you have both devices connected at the same time? If so could you unplug the USB one, restart and try again?

chocoemo

All your settings look fine but there is obviously something wrong on the Elgato side because when you click Configure Video it should display the Elgato configuration options. Do you have both devices connected at the same time? If so could you unplug the USB one, restart and try again?
Nope, I made sure that was the first thing I disconnected from my computer before I even installed the card into my motherboard actually. It just seems like the Elgato software is crashing almost instantly and I'm not really sure why.

Can you post a screen shot of the configuration page in the Elgato software? Sorry I'm not at my desktop at the moment to tell you how to get there but it's the page where you can configure support for 60 fps.

chocoemo

Also would like to note that I decided to try and see if OBS was the only one giving me this result. I installed Xsplit and as soon as I added Elgato Game Capture HD as a capture card device, it instantly crashed. So it seems like it might be a software issue paired with my HD60 Pro which sounds a little odd. Never had this issue with the the USB card.

goffballz

I'm having the same exact issue and would assume chocoemo and I have tried very similar things, but to add my experience.

Tried:
32-bit obs and elgato software/driver
64-bit obs and elgato software/driver
older releases of obs and elgato software/drivers
plenty of reinstalling
frustrated grunts and disappointed sighs

The helper device runs no problem, but obviously that's not ideal due to lack of proper configuration. The problem definitely arises from the elgato card though.

chocoemo

I'm having the same exact issue and would assume chocoemo and I have tried very similar things, but to add my experience.

Tried:
32-bit obs and elgato software/driver
64-bit obs and elgato software/driver
older releases of obs and elgato software/drivers
plenty of reinstalling
frustrated grunts and disappointed sighs

The helper device runs no problem, but obviously that's not ideal due to lack of proper configuration. The problem definitely arises from the elgato card though.
Yep. This is exactly what I've done.

OK two things are different in my config. 1) could you try setting HDMI color range to Standard, I'm not sure it will help but it's a difference that I noted. 2) my input signal is straight 1080p, I can try with a lower resolution but it'll take me some time to set up and let you know what happens.