Question / Help Elgato 4K60 Pro Too Much for GTX 1070?

ContentCreator

Elgato 4K60 Pro Too Much for GTX 1070?
Please help?

My PC parts:

i7 7700k -- 1070 Strix OC -- 16Gb Ram -- 2TB HDD -- 240GB SSD -- Elgato 4K60 Pro
27" Main Monitor: 4K 60hz -- 27" Secondary Monitor: 1080p 60hz

Console being recorded: Xbox One X

All HDMI cables in my PC and Console setup are Premium Certified to handle the 4K 60 signals. I've even swapped out cables to make sure they were working correctly.

I'm seeing some video stuttering (maybe frame drops?) when playing console games through the 4K60 Pro. This happens in the 4K Capture Utility software from Elgato, and also happens on the OBS Preview window. It happens on my 4K monitor, and is the same for my 1080p monitor. All programs being used are from the SSD, and all recordings are being recorded to the HDD.

When I'm just playing a game and not recording through OBS Fullscreen, I will have about 10 minutes of semi-smooth gameplay, and then about 3 minutes of choppy video that is basically unplayable. This repeats, but its randomly timed. When I do my normal recording session and use more resources.. it gets noticeably worse.

My Normal Recording Session:
First OBS window for my webcam. The webcam only takes up a small portion of the OBS window, so it will use less resources and will be the final size for cropping when I overlay it in the editing. This OBS window only records the webcam and microphone, nothing else.

Second OBS window for displaying the 4k60 Pro. This window never records during my recording sessions and its only use is to display the 4k60 Pro fullscreen, which I then record with Shadowplay. So Shadowplay and the OBS Webcam window are recording at the same time.

I want to have smooth 4K 60fps gameplay, and but I cant find a way to remove the choppiness. Here's what I've tried:

I changed all of my monitor display settings, OBS settings, etc. to 59.94 hz. This seems to have smoother video than 60 hz, but still choppy. I only have to change my 4K monitor to 59.94 hz to see a difference though. Second monitor settings seem to not matter. It also seems to not matter which monitor is displaying the gameplay.

I've tried troubleshooting with other consoles with sources like 720p & 1080p, to see if things would change.. but it acts the same.

I've tried only using the 4K Capture Utility software to show the gameplay, but it cycles at random between semi smooth and choppy gameplay. Even if it was perfect, it wouldnt be a good solution, because because of how I record my sessions, and the bad lag with the 4K Capture Utility software.

I've configured the Elgato Color Range from Bypass to Shrink, along with other settings (both in Elgatos Software settings and OBS Video Configuration settings) and it seems to have no effect other than the 59.94 hz setting.

I've tried changing the OBS Recording Quality from Indistinguishable Quality to High Quality. I've also tried changing the Recording Format from MP4 to MKV, FLV, etc. Doesnt seem to matter.

Ive tried old drivers and new drivers for everything I could think of. I also did a System Restore. Doesnt seem to matter.

When I play PC games at 4K (not through Elgato), while recording the OBS webcam, and Shadowplay to record screen.. (even with all settings at 60 hz) I dont see choppy video.

Also, none of this seems to affect the webcam. The webcam remains smooth no matter what. But its a Logitech c920 which only has a signal of 1080p 30fps max, and is also scaled down to a smaller size in OBS.

I dont know if the GPU is the problem, the CPU, or the Elgato itself. But I am upgrading to a 2080 Strix OC in a few days. And a i9 9900k in a couple weeks.

The OBS log attached is from recording gameplay only through OBS.

The screenshots attached include:
My OBS settings, Elgato Software Settings, GPU Performance, and CPU Performance.

Attachments

• obs settings.png
    obs settings.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 61
  • elgato settings.png
    elgato settings.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 53
  • CPU performance.png
    CPU performance.png
    228.5 KB · Views: 47
  • GPU performance.png
    GPU performance.png