Dropped Frames help needed (Not your regular issues of Dropped frames)

TCGCRYAN

Hello all I am in need of some help. I have been using OBS Studio for years now and I have never had this issue until a month ago. From the title of the Thread you can see I am dropping frames, but this is where it gets weird. In the picture below you can see my ratio frames, for example When I am live I will have 35/60 frames but my dropped frames percentage will be 0 (0%) I just loose frames and OBS doesn't register that i am dropping frames resulting in some really bad content. I have lost viewer ship over this and I am all around lost at this point.

This issue happens when both recording and live. The picture below is only from recording where it doesnt display the dropped frames percentage.

Games I play when this happens are; Escape From Tarkov (Main game), Counter Strike 2, GTA, and many other Triple A title games.

My build:
Single pc
64 Gb 3200 MhZ Ram Gskill
NVIDIA 3060 Asus ROG Stix Gpu
I have my obs on a NvME SSD
AMD Ryzen 5950x (AM4 Platform) CPU

Steps that I have taken to resolve this issue,
-Played with my bit rate
-Switched From Nvenc H.264 to x264 for both recording and streamign (This has helped alot prior to do this MY frames would be 15/60 with a 0% Frame drop)
-Scanned for virsues
-Used optimal setting for all setups
-Went to youtube for x264 setting and used all of them.
-My usage for cpu when live sits at 34% currently (Which is normal for x264)
-Checked Task manager, non of my hard ware is maxing out
-Update all drivers
-Double checked I am on the Latest OBS update
-uninstalled and reinstalled OBS also tried moving it do different drives didnt seem to do anything

I have spent a full week trying to fix this issue and its the best that I can get it to go. I have searched and cannot seem to find and one else having this issue that i can find. Help will be greatly appreciated with this.

Additional info:
I am a multi-streamer to TikTok and Twitch, I have the aitum vertical plug in installed. Never caused an issue before. This issues happens no matter if i am only streaming to twitch or to both, but if i am streaming to both the issue stay the same no matter what, it will avg the same frame drops.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1684).png
    Screenshot (1684).png
    2.8 KB · Views: 22

PaiSand

Why are you using advanced output?
Why are you using software encoder?

Run the Auto-configuration Wizard (tools menu) selecting hardware for encoding. Apply the settings it gives. Do NOT change anything.
Restart OBS (!important)
Test as is. If all goes well, you're done.
Now you can change the quality preset for recording for a better one. Test again. Repeat.

And of course, record into an M.2 SSD if you want high quality recordings.
Anyway, you have a little bit of bottleneck in your CPU GPU configuration so you may experience some issues due to this.

TCGCRYAN

Well I have news on this, I got a fix for my issue and it isnt this. I can use nvenc again. I literally had to wipe my entire computer and start fresh. I am guessing I had corrupted files and not realized it is my guess. Since wiping my hard drive i no longer have the issue and I can again use Nvenc encoding with no lag/dropping frames.

TCGCRYAN

Never mind the issue is back today. Not its even worse After doing everything that you just said to do....

PaiSand

If you have everything up to date (drivers, BIOS, Windows, etc) then the issue may be hardware. It could be the memory, the CPU, the SSD, the GPU itsef...
Most AM4 motherboards need the BIOS to be updated to use the 5xxx CPUs and then theres constant updates on the BIOS fixin other issues.
You can get the latest GPU driver directly form Nvidia web site or using the gforce experience app (I use it).
Not all the SSD are capable to record high quality videos as this aren't fast enough. Again, in this case, if the SSD should be fast enough may be an issue on the SSD itself or in the controler or BIOS, or a combination of this.
RAM memory can have issues too. Make sure it's running at 3200Mhz which normally you need to enable the XMP profile inside the BIOS. By default it's disable. Check on your MoBo manual on how to do this.

I just checked again the bottleneck calculator and now it says there's no bottleneck at all.

TCGCRYAN

I did the Bios update without it my pc wouldnt of worked according to notes online so Bios is latest. GPU drivers are at the latest. I legit never had an issue up until a month ago. Everything ran fine. Its just out of no where it stopped working. I am legit scratching my head at this.

TCGCRYAN

So further info as well. Streaming for 5 years. No issue, since. Upgraded my build last time over 1.5 years ago. No new software, no new hardware. This issue is legit out of the blue. (everything possible is up to date. Also to add to the above xmp profile is enabled. One of the first things i did.

Last edited:

VyralFPS

So further info as well. Streaming for 5 years. No issue, since. Upgraded my build last time over 1.5 years ago. No new software, no new hardware. This issue is legit out of the blue. (everything possible is up to date. Also to add to the above xmp profile is enabled. One of the first things i did.
I'm getting an issue like this as well, out of the blue. Also been streaming for a long time and now I'm experiencing issues. I don't think you're crazy here, I legitimately think there is a problem that people don't want to acknowledge.

And the funny thing is now that it's occurring for my partners streams as well. Dropped frames (almost as if the entire system is lagging completely) can't figure out a lick of a clue on why this is happening. The only common denomination I can find is that we're all using ryzen cpu's but this is only happening when we're using NVEC encoding...so what gives?

I didn't try a fresh install of windows but I have infact tried a fresh graphics driver install by using DDU as well as updating bios and chipset drivers but the issue returns.

My PC:

Ryzen 7 2700x
X470 gigabyte mobo
32gb 3600mhz ddr4 ram
Rrx 3090

My partners PC:
Ryzen 7 5800x3d
32gb 3600mhz ddr4 ram
Rtx 2070

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank ya!

PaiSand

VyralFPS

That's a massive bottleneck around 40% https://pc-builds.com/es/bottleneck-calculator/result/0Qe176/1/general-tasks/
The other one shows only a little more than 10% bottleneck which is on the may or may not cause issues.

Anyway, when all the sudden you strart having issues the most probably problem is a new driver you installed, the hardware itself, or issues with the ISP.
No log file, no more to tell.
Please don't overuse the term bottleneck, it's honestly not an issue unless you're gaming at 4k. That website will literally tell you every single piece of hardware configuration will have a bottleneck thus not being reliable. It's no different from when you use userbenchmark to actually benchmark your pc. I have never encountered a problem since the newest update. The hardware is fine, the drivers is fine, the new obs update isn't. (I have now tried FIVE prior versions of drivers with no success, all reinstalled by using DDU, same issue. I do not have any additional plugins, I use about 3 browser sources total.

ISP is fine. I have restarted router, left router off for an hour incase it's overheating. I switch between google and cloudflare DNS with the same result.

I don't know what else to tell you.

PaiSand

Log file?
Without it is a guess game.

Restarting a moden don't fix issues on the ISP, only restart a modem.