DroidCam OBS Camera

DroidCam OBS Camera 2.3.2

dev47

I am having an issue using Droidcam OBS over WiFi with sound it is jittery and choppy when streaming and recording yet monitor is fine.

To add, I think there may be a bug in OBS Studio with audio handling where the audio monitor output is clean, but recording/streaming produces jittery output. It's on my list of to-dos to investigate, similar issues have been reported with the NDI plugin.

Try USB as suggested above, but I highly recommend getting a separate microphone and using DroidCam for video only.

CurlyBlonde

Got that update of gplay with the very high option for video.
Prolly a blonde question , but the jpeg quality , nothing happens if you enable it to go 100%?
I mean the difference between 90% & 100% is not worth it ?

dev47

@CurlyBlonde the new option is for AVC - tbh I simply overlooked JPG, will add 100% into the next update.

It will depend on the scene, but generally 90% gives a very high quality image while gaining a significant size reduction from 100%.
80-90% is also good but the size reduction is less significant & <80% begins affect image quality, as far as I know.

lindenkron

Still not able to get 60 FPS out of the default DroidCam application, and no reply on whether or not it's possible - and if I bought the app for nothing and need this plugin instead.

Am not buying this only to find that it also does not deliver 60 FPS. Anyone have any experience on this?

dev47

@lindenkron the regular apps do not support 60fps, the webcam drivers are limited to 30fps since all conferencing programs only support 30.

You do not have to buy DroidCam OBS to test 60fps - go into the DroidCam OBS settings, enable "Camera2 API" and set Target FPS to 60. Activate video in OBS and test away.

TrivialBeing

@lindenkron the regular apps do not support 60fps, the webcam drivers are limited to 30fps since all conferencing programs only support 30.

You do not have to buy DroidCam OBS to test 60fps - go into the DroidCam OBS settings, enable "Camera2 API" and set Target FPS to 60. Activate video in OBS and test away.

I've come here in my search for some way to get 60p FHD video into OBS from my phone (Galaxy S10+), but even with this setting, I still haven't got it working. Aside: Thanks so much for your work (FYI, I bought DroidCam X and then this OBS version as well to support you). Great to have this improved integration with OBS and appreciate you pointing out this camera setting for targeting 60 FPS (I'd been looking in the video category of settings until reading your reply here).

Unfortunately, even after applying that setting, when I step through the video recorded through OBS frame-by-frame, I see a duplicate/still frame every other frame (on average - sometimes it has two new frames and two still frames). Should I give up and accept that 60 FPS isn't possible yet, or would you suggest further troubleshooting?

TrivialBeing

P.S. I'm using my phone as a webcam for Oculus Mixed Reality Capture (MRC), and DroidCam OBS has an inherent problem for this purpose which forces me back to DriodCam X. Did I see correctly earlier in this thread that won't be developed any further? If so, it's probably worth sharing this problem for a potential solution through the development of DroidCam OBS.

The problem:
The Occulus MRC calibration process involves using the live feed from a video source* and reference points from the VR Headset and controllers visible in the video to work out the appropriate perspective of the real camera if it were in the virtual world. Occulus MRC then saves this calibration as an OBS scene collection with the video source* built-in as the video capture device. Using DoidCam OBS means that the video source for this calibration process has to be the OBS Virtual Camera, but this creates a self-referential paradox when trying to use the scene collection. I've tried some tinkering with the scene's sources to get it to work with the "DoirdCam OBS" source, but the problem persists... MRC scenes seem really built to work with the "Video Capture Device" source. As mentioned earlier, DroidCamX works for this as it can be selected as a device from the Video Capture Device's properties window's dropdown for "Device." If DroidCamX isn't likely to receive future updates (e.g. resolving 60FPS functionality, when possible), then I wonder if DroidCam OBS could find a way to create a camera feed that's recognizable as a Video Capture Device, not just a source available in OBS.

dev47

@TrivialBeing thanks for the feedback.
I think it would be best to e-mail for this rather than take up the forum here. Feel free to write in: dev47apps@gmail.com
Is the S10+ running Android 11, or lower? Do you see a "Bug Report" option in the Info page of the app? If yes, could you generate and send a report after Activating/Deactivating the camera. The logs will have the FPS details.

And the answer is yes - the plan is to re-write the PC clients and have them work with the new app. While 60-FPS drivers are mostly unnecessary IMO, it sounds like at least your use-case proves that wrong. This is a longer term project though.

So swapping out the Video Input Device in the MRC scene with a DroidCam OBS source doesnt work?
Assuming the OBS Virtual cam was outputting the exact resolution of DroidCam OBS during calibration, the outputs should be identical. Just deactivate + hide the Video Input Device, and add a DroidCam OBS source.

Last edited:

lindenkron

I see. I tested that originally but it didn't seem 60 FPS. Perhaps it being wifi and 'Target FPS' contributes tothat. Non the less, I put it next to 30 FPS webcam, and there was a noticable improvement.

Is a shame I ended up purchasing the wrong app, it can be really confusing - there seems to be no immediate explicit distinguishion between them.

Thanks.

Kaine Madjere

Dunno if this is the place for it or not, but I haven't really found anyplace else to throw a question out so here goes.
1) I have the pro version (Thank you for this wonderful plugin!)
2) Both wifi and usb were working fine until a few days ago, along with with the remote control site/dock. Currently the only thing that is working is the camera via USB. There is no access to the remote function via ip/address nor the camera via WiFi IP. Can you think of anything I can do to fix this issue? I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the plugin and the client and in multiple orders to no apparent effect.

Kaine Madjere

Dunno if this is the place for it or not, but I haven't really found anyplace else to throw a question out so here goes.
1) I have the pro version (Thank you for this wonderful plugin!)
2) Both wifi and usb were working fine until a few days ago, along with with the remote control site/dock. Currently the only thing that is working is the camera via USB. There is no access to the remote function via ip/address nor the camera via WiFi IP. Can you think of anything I can do to fix this issue? I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the plugin and the client and in multiple orders to no apparent effect.
I found the answer. Apparently the new hardware that was recieved from the ISP has a "smart wifi" function and that would appear to be the culprit.

BuskingGuyTV

@dev47 is there any chance that you could integrate detailed white balance option ? to adjust the wb to lets say 5500k ? i want to match my droidcam with my logitech streamcam. the wb just dont match

dev47

@BuskingGuyTV with Camera2 API enabled, you can set manual white-balance. Unfortunately the range is 0-100 (approximately 2000K - 10,000K), rather than specific kelvins so you'll need to match it visually.

The Camera2 API takes a raw color channel vector for white-balance, which is more complex and initial attempts at it didn't work :/
I had left getting the correct full formula as a to-do, will make a note to revisit this.

dev47

@olliobs no - those apps are very old and are only compatible with the Windows client that is also linked on that page.
You can use a Video Capture Device in OBS Studio to get the video from the PC client.

someonelse

Yo I'd like to request a feature - i've bought the HD package but it's basically useless for me :D i need the 4:3 aspect ratio.... Any chance of adding custom resolutions? Otherwise im stuck at 960x720... =/

Also the possibility to show the video on browser would be nice like you can with droidcamX.

And it would be nice if we could add optional timestamps at the camera source (for delay comparison)

dev47

Cropping the source is not an option? 1024x768 would probably be the only other well supported 4:3 option, there is a lot of variation across Android while iOS is even more limited. Meanwhile OBS makes it super easy to crop the video as you wish.

Browser feed is very unlikely for DroidCam-OBS, it's an old DroidCam/X feature and has been more pain than its worth to maintain.

Timestamps for measurement sounds like an interesting feature, will note that down.