DroidCam OBS Camera

DroidCam OBS Camera 2.3.2

dev47

dev47 submitted a new resource:

DroidCam OBS Camera - Use your phone as a camera source in OBS Studio

The DroidCam OBS app + plugin let you connect your phone and get high quality audio & video just like a regular camera source. You can connect as many devices as you want, over WiFi / USB.

• Free unlimited usage at standard definition, including sound and picture.
  • One-time pro upgrade helps support the app development and unlocks all features.
  • Android: Works with the phone screen off for extra efficiency.
  • Android: DSLR -like features including exposure, white balance, and...

Read more about this resource...

KenhCuaDaoLeMinh

Surprising that this app still has an update. Sorry but some app provide free HD/4K quality with less delay and CPU usage than this.

dev47

Most other apps use webcam drivers (including the original DroidCam apps), whereas DroidCam-OBS integrates directly into OBS.
It's impossible for the driver method to have less CPU usage, since they have to move raw image frames around.

4K is missing because I waned to make sure the app has proper HW acceleration on all platforms, which is what the last updates focused on. Many people just max out the options and expect it to work, and then complain when it doesn't. QHD/UHD will be added.

The pro upgrade for the app is reasonably priced and helps fund the development/support/maintenance all of which require a lot of time and effort. There are no ads and you get basic features for free to help you get started.

I hope that's helpful, and of course if other apps work better you're welcome to just use those.

Tonny Sarmento

O que falta nesse aplicativo é a opção de ativar e desativar como o Droid CamX Pro na barra da Fonte no OBS.
Droid Cam.png
Droid Cam OBS.png

BlindStein

Most other apps use webcam drivers (including the original DroidCam apps), whereas DroidCam-OBS integrates directly into OBS.
It's impossible for the driver method to have less CPU usage, since they have to move raw image frames around.

4K is missing because I waned to make sure the app has proper HW acceleration on all platforms, which is what the last updates focused on. Many people just max out the options and expect it to work, and then complain when it doesn't. QHD/UHD will be added.

The pro upgrade for the app is reasonably priced and helps fund the development/support/maintenance all of which require a lot of time and effort. There are no ads and you get basic features for free to help you get started.

I hope that's helpful, and of course if other apps work better you're welcome to just use those.
Hey there I absolutely agree with you and I am a pro-version user and I am using it with usb. There are somethings lacking in the current scenario is how to rotate the camera in portrait mode since many people are using portrait mode in their scenes these days and also while using via usb and if the phone is not connected to the internet/Wi-Fi there is always a need to verify your pro-version on every start(the second one is just a suggestion for quality of life upgrade). But the biggest issue I think is that droidcam uses excessive battery life due to which the phone might die out very early if someone is trying to do irl stream for example.

dev47

O que falta nesse aplicativo é a opção de ativar e desativar como o Droid CamX Pro na barra da Fonte no OBS.

I believe those buttons were added in OBS 25 or 26. The minimum for the DroidCam plugin is 24, I will look into adding the Activate button and raising the minimum requirement

Acredito que esses botões foram no OBS 25 ou 26. O mínimo para o plugin DroidCam é v24, irei olhar para adicionar o botão Ativar e aumentar o requisito mínimo

dev47

There are somethings lacking in the current scenario is how to rotate the camera in portrait mode since many people are using portrait mode in their scenes these days and also while using via usb and if the phone is not connected to the internet/Wi-Fi there is always a need to verify your pro-version on every start(the second one is just a suggestion for quality of life upgrade). But the biggest issue I think is that droidcam uses excessive battery life due to which the phone might die out very early if someone is trying to do irl stream for example.

Hi, you can rotate the DroidCam source in OBS itself, using the Transform menu when you right-click it. The phone app matches the camera sensor orientation and connects the camera output directly to the encoder. This is done for efficiency - so as far as you last comment, low CPU/battery has been an important goal for the app and its about as optimized as I can make it.

Make sure you don't max out all the options, streaming at max bandwidth and resolution does require more resources. 720p is actually the best for IRL content. But if you are doing IRL streams, a battery pack is going to be a requirement - this has always been the case with phone streaming apps. A Twitch streamer used my old live streaming app for a 12 hour (outdoors) stream once, so it is doable.

DroidCam OBS is more of a Webcam/DSLR replacement though, ideally the phone is always at 100% charge and connected to power. Dimming the screen also drops CPU usage since the phone preview gets muted by the app.

As for the pro check, it will go away after about a month form download time, the app checks itself during the cancellation period.
I hope that helps.

BlindStein

Hi, you can rotate the DroidCam source in OBS itself, using the Transform menu when you right-click it. The phone app matches the camera sensor orientation and connects the camera output directly to the encoder.

full discretion i have a asus zenfone 6z which has a unique type of camera (you'll know when you check the model on google). Also i have tried it but it doesnt transform

Colon:

I noticed a weird quirk with this when using a Mac. I was hoping it would replicate on PC but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do it which is a shame, mac users you get a screen capture display showing whatever is on the iPad screen so can be used for interaction with the audience to show webpages and games and apple games and stuff. Has anyone seen this on a pc install of it?

hweigel

First of all, kudos, looks and feels great (so far).

Just one question, which irks me a bit tbh: why are you hiding the price for the pro upgrade? I just tried a trial install on the Samsung Galaxy S8 and there was ZERO indication how much Google is gonna charge me for the upgrade.

And whenever stuff is being hidden, it inevitably smells like a scam.

dev47

Just one question, which irks me a bit tbh: why are you hiding the price for the pro upgrade? I just tried a trial install on the Samsung Galaxy S8 and there was ZERO indication how much Google is gonna charge me for the upgrade.
And whenever stuff is being hidden, it inevitably smells like a scam.

You see the price after tapping through the Get Pro dialog, along with a final "Buy" button. The purchase and the price is managed by the app store, which takes into account local currencies and exchange rates.

You can also see prices in the app store itself, if you open any app description and scroll to the bottom they'll have a list of in-app purchases and price ranges.

It would be tricky to show you a price in the Get Pro dialog since again the price varies based on exchange rates and country. Maybe the dialog can be more descriptive to make this clearer. (you're essentially saying Google is scam since they would charge you with zero indication; they won't)

MrHillman

I have droid cam installed and working within my obs and via my android phone, my question is, if the android phone is NOT on the same wiifi on is out on location using 4g - can I still get it to be visible on obs?

dev47

I have droid cam installed and working within my obs and via my android phone, my question is, if the android phone is NOT on the same wiifi on is out on location using 4g - can I still get it to be visible on obs?

Not supported right now. Usually once you're on a public network (ex. 4G) extra severs are required to proxy the connection between your home/private network and the outside. Check out obs.ninja, which afaik does include publicly hosted severs to facilitate bringing outside video sources in.

lindenkron

Hey Dev47. Is there any way with DroidCam X to get 60 FPS when your phone camera supports it? Also what's the difference between Droid Cam X, and DroidCam OBS - seeing as both requires a purchase (little unfortunate when you've already bought one of them :|)

dev47

@lindenkron the regular apps emulate generic webcams, DroidCam OBS is a major refresh that aims to be a more advanced camera focused on content creators. It was rewritten almost entirely from scratch. The OG apps are mostly in maintenance mode, they've been around for a while. How long ago did you buy DroidCamX?

lindenkron

@lindenkron the regular apps emulate generic webcams, DroidCam OBS is a major refresh that aims to be a more advanced camera focused on content creators. It was rewritten almost entirely from scratch. The OG apps are mostly in maintenance mode, they've been around for a while. How long ago did you buy DroidCamX?
Hey, sorry missed your reply to the question.

I think I bought it a day before I wrote this hehe. I was researching on how to get 60 FPS out of my S8 camera, but I still haven't been able to. Is it not possible?

Nequinox

I am having an issue using Droidcam OBS over WiFi with sound it is jittery and choppy when streaming and recording yet monitor is fine.