Question / Help Downscaled Videos always blurry

Elib

I’ve been messing with obs all day and it’s been fighting me in the recording tab. if I keep my canvas and output at 1440p (2k) I get a clear image but not as perfect as I’d like. I use the nvidia encoder and have a bit rate of 50,000 or so. My monitor is 2k

I’d do everything the same except downscale to 1920 x 1080, using any of the downscaling filters, my recording get crazy blurry.

Even with all settings set to highest or best, I get a blurry downscaled image. As well as a not as sharp as I’d like 2k image.
GTX 980
8g ram

carlmmii

Downscaling is always going to result in a more blurry image, especially if you're playing it back upscaled to the original resolution. There's no way around it other than introducing artificial sharpening.

Things you can try are using lanczos filtering for the rescale operation (although, this should be default). You could also experiment with applying sharpening filter to your source (this will only be possible if you're using a 1920x1080 canvas, and you're using a filter to do the rescaling... otherwise you would be sharpening the source before the rescaling operation which is counterproductive).

Elib

Downscaling is always going to result in a more blurry image, especially if you're playing it back upscaled to the original resolution. There's no way around it other than introducing artificial sharpening.

Things you can try are using lanczos filtering for the rescale operation (although, this should be default). You could also experiment with applying sharpening filter to your source (this will only be possible if you're using a 1920x1080 canvas, and you're using a filter to do the rescaling... otherwise you would be sharpening the source before the rescaling operation which is counterproductive).
It’s just weird to me that I’m following the exact settings as some people who have tutorials, and their videos are as sharp as can be and mine, aren’t. Even if my canvas is 1920 and my output is 1920 I get a blurry mess. Once again my screen is 2k.