Question / Help Downscale Filter even applies to unscaled recording?

PrinceVinc

I just found out something recently.
If you go to settings and in the Video Tab you can set Canvas and Scaled Resolution and have the option of a Downscale filter.

The question that begs for me is the following:
If I set the Canvas and Scaled resolution to the same (native Resolution), will the chosen Downscale Filter be applied regardless?
I am concerned about this, because when I set Canvas to my native (1080p) and the Scaled to 720p the !recorded! output is 720p.

So for what are the Scaling options under the Output Tab? I guess for the "Advanced" User?
For What do we need the Video Tab Scaling options, if we can already set it in the Output?
And does, if I record 1080p and set the Stream in the Output Tab to 720p will the Downscale Filter in the Video Tab be applied?

Let's put that into a Practical Exampel:
I want to record with x264 in 1080p and Stream with QSV with 720p(I activated Scaled Resolution under Output Tab) at the same time.
Under the Video Tab Canvas and Scaled are both set to Native Resolution, otherwise the recording would be a lower resolution.

So I know that my recording will be now 1080p and my Stream will be 720p but will both output's have the Downscale Filter applied? Or does OBS Studio Recognize that the Native 1080p does not need it even if the Scaled under the Video Tab still also has the 1080p set? I know that sounds confusing but those are questions that sometimes come up in my twisted head xD

PrinceVinc

If I understand page 76 right, the Filter is applied regardless, so it "sharpens" the image if I choose Bicubic even if the Base=Output? So that basically means if I want to Stream 720p and Record 1080p I should use Bicubic to sharpen the lower Stream resolution and if I only record 1080p Native I can let the setting Stay Bilinear?

So basically:
Stream Record on different Resolution = Bicubic or Lanczos for the "lower" resolution.
If I stream only in lower than Source/Native Resolution Bicubic or Lanczos
And If I only record in Native I can let it stay at Bilinear?

So the Downscale Filter is always Applied?
At what Cost? GPU or CPU? And does it hurt the Image Quality if it is the Native Resolution?

Suslik V

Edit: Settings>Video processed by CPU. (see post below)

There was info on the forum that lower size has more impact on CPU than down-scaling algorithm complexity (better to down scale image than use fast algorithm). I'm agree with that. And you can make some tests.

Each source's Transform performed by GPU.

If you interested, gamma-correction questions was in this thread: White lines on certain .PNGs?. I updated recently some tests from that thread.

Last edited: