Does x264 take GPU resource while live stream or record??

aberniando

I am going to buy a new PC.
I will take Ryzen 7 3700X for the processor.
The thing is, I will not pick RTX 2 series when RTX 3 series is just a few months away.
Which means that I will stay with my current GPU which is the old GTX 750 Ti for a while.

My current knowledge is that:
"I can start live streaming or recording right away without waiting my new GeForce because,
I am going to use x264 as my encoder since my CPU is quite powerful enough
therefore not a bit of my GTX 750 Ti resource taken away so it can focus processing the game graphic"

FYI:
- I will only play relatively lightweight game for now, like Overwatch, DOTA, CS:GO, Valorant
- My streaming target is 720p 60fps
- My recording target is 1080p 60fps 12000 - 20000 Kbps

Am I having the correct knowledge?? Thank you!

koala

x264 will use some of your CPU resources, but with the Ryzen 7 3700X, you have plenty. It has 8 cores, 16 with hyperthreading. The majority of games will not use more than 8 cores. Most will probably use only 4 cores. The remaining CPU power (about half of it, if not more) is available for OBS and for x264 encoding. So you will probably don't have an issue with x264 on that CPU.
So go for it.

aberniando

x264 will use some of your CPU resources, but with the Ryzen 7 3700X, you have plenty. It has 8 cores, 16 with hyperthreading. The majority of games will not use more than 8 cores. Most will probably use only 4 cores. The remaining CPU power (about half of it, if not more) is available for OBS and for x264 encoding. So you will probably don't have an issue with x264 on that CPU.
So go for it.
Thanks man!

aberniando

So go for it.
What about with i5 10600??

koala

Sorry, but I will not look up every CPU for you. This is very time consuming. Please do this yourself.

To compare the power of different CPUs, I use the comparison feature of this website: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php. It has a performance score for every CPU, so you can rate a CPU very good. Keep in mind the single thread rating is as important than the overall score if it comes to gaming and to apps that are not able to use as many cores as the CPU provides. The less cores an app uses, the more important the single thread rating gets.

To see how many cores a game uses, or generally how much CPU a game requires, I use the "system requirements" article every game has on its webpage. I look for the CPU for the recommended system requirements, then look up on the cpubenchmark page how many cores this CPU has and which performance score, and estimate how much CPU resources might be left for other software except the game itself.

Last edited: