Question / Help Does the Rescale Output option look worse?

chimeratx

Hi. I both stream and record gameplay using OBS Studio. I stream at 720p and record at 1080p, but every time I record after streaming or vice-versa I have to go into the options and switch the output resolution. I've read that using the Rescale Output, in the specific Streaming/Recording options wields worse results, and I just wanted to confirm if that's true, as I'd really like to leave the Output Resolution at 1080p and just rescale in the streaming options to 720p. Am I going to get a worse quality on the streams if I use the rescale setting? Thanks in advance.

alexitx

Hi. I both stream and record gameplay using OBS Studio. I stream at 720p and record at 1080p, but every time I record after streaming or vice-versa I have to go into the options and switch the output resolution. I've read that using the Rescale Output, in the specific Streaming/Recording options wields worse results, and I just wanted to confirm if that's true, as I'd really like to leave the Output Resolution at 1080p and just rescale in the streaming options to 720p. Am I going to get a worse quality on the streams if I use the rescale setting? Thanks in advance.
Yeah, "Rescale Output" in the Streaming and Recording tabs is CPU calculated, unlike the "Output (Scaled) Resolution" in Video settings (which has downscaling filters and is GPU handled). It puts more load onto the CPU and also looks bad when downscaling for example 1080p to 720p. You can save different profiles with settings for streaming, settings for recording and so on. So it will be much more easy and quick to switch settings for different tasks. I wish there were separate options for resolution and framerate, so you can stream at 720p30 and record locally at 1080p60, for example...

chimeratx

Ah, that's a shame. I too wish there were options for streaming and recording while being able to use the better tools. Guess I'll try my hand at profiles then, thanks anyway.