Resource icon

DistroAV - Network Audio/Video in OBS-Studio using NDI technology 4.14.1

DistroAV

DistroAV updated DistroAV - Network Audio/Video in OBS-Studio using NDI technology with a new update entry:

OBS-NDI 4.14.0

## What's Changed
* Source: add support for auto-disconnecting NDI connection by @haakonnessjoen in https://github.com/DistroAV/DistroAV/pull/993
* Update libndi-get.sh to use libNDI v6 by @Trouffman in https://github.com/DistroAV/DistroAV/pull/1013
* Fix bug 974: scene name changes arbitrarily by @BitRate27 in https://github.com/DistroAV/DistroAV/pull/1016
* Add NDI group support for NDI outputs of program, preview and...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Redemptionxdd

The application is not secure.

1722012096197.png

No idea dude! Would love to understand why it says that.
The code is open source. Nothing nefarious in it.

At the end of the day, using a computer from day to day is always a calculated risk.

Some people don't seem to understand that security is a process, not a product. You, the user, must make a judgment call as to whether you download or use a product, doing your due diligence as well as doing what you can to mitigate any risk (there is never any eliminating it; the only way to eliminate it is to stop using a computer).

As I had mentioned elsewhere, AV vendors tend to be quite arbitrary as to what constitutes "malware". It shows the key code to your installed copy of Windows? Malware. It sets up remote access to your computer, even if you knowingly installed it yourself? Again, malware. You set up TFTPD64 so you can save your Cisco/HPE/Aruba/whatever configs and update your assets's firmware? AGAIN, MALWARE!

In INFOSEC, there are no absolutes. Just because one or two of these say it's "malware" doesn't mean it actually is malware. It can help inform your decision, but it shouldn't be the only thing that does. Again, security is a process, not a product.

--Katt. =^.^=

Last edited:

Lawrence_SoCal

No idea dude! Would love to understand why it says that.
The code is open source. Nothing nefarious in it.
Historically such 'false positives' have often been associated with using code components/libraries also used by malware (sometimes ad-ware has triggered similar warnings).

DistroAV

Historically such 'false positives' have often been associated with using code components/libraries also used by malware (sometimes ad-ware has triggered similar warnings).
Understood. Would love to know what components/libraries we are using that are being confused for malware.

Xaymar

Understood. Would love to know what components/libraries we are using that are being confused for malware.
You've got two things that will be flagged automatically: InnoSetup, and Microsoft Visual C++. It's a mystery why the latter is being flagged, but Microsoft Windows Defender itself will even flag the official Redistributables installer when downloaded. It's a strange situation. As for InnoSetup, I found that the biggest problem is it installing a temporary binary into %TEMP%, then running that temporary binary.

Despite this being completely normal installer behavior, it is also something malware and viruses do, and thus you get flagged. Additionally any network connections made with an unsigned installer tend to also result in it being flagged. There's also some WinAPI functions and registry keys that - despite being part of something that happens automatically with no developer input - are being flagged too.

If these flags are set by any reputable AV/AM vendor, they usually tend to disappear after the first few false positive reports. For less reputable vendors, which tend to just copy what other AV/AM vendors do, they'll stick around for quite a while.

B4Lasers

I’m excited to see what happens because at odd the morning NDI input source still doesn’t work without gitching during stream/record but!!!! I found a workaround just using the audio input source, adding a NDI webcam, then applying my audio source from my Mac to NDI webcam 1 on my PC and boom all was well when recording and streaming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy now

I'm excited to see the new DistroAV release. Any idea on a timeline for release? Will it allow HDR content transfer over NDI?
Thank you so much for dedicating time to release this.

I'm excited to see the new DistroAV release. Any idea on a timeline for release? Will it allow HDR content transfer over NDI?
Thank you so much for dedicating time to release this.

Disclaimer: I don't do HDR. Notwithstanding my (not) doing HDR, I do not see any new controls over the previous "OBS-NDI" release, 4.14.1, HDR or otherwise. Just some relabeling (e.g. "use hardware acceleration" -> "request hardware acceleration"). Furthermore, to be fair, this is a pre-release build so as to make sure the major core changes don't make things shake apart. Though I don't know whether those settings would end up being OBS Studio- (notwithstanding NDI) or NDI-specific settings.

The kind of settings I'm looking forward to are HDX-related so I can send far less over the wire to my studio PC from my gaming PC (I still need the higher-bandwidth, non-HDX stream for my VTuber since I need alpha channel support) and/or from my studio PC to my encoder PC (the most likely link to get an HDX setup).

--Katt. =^.^=

Is it possible to get this to work with NDI 6? Or do I have to continue to use the NDI 5 Runtime? If I can use it with 6 what steps need to be taken?

I've been using it with NDI 6.0.1.0 (the latest release of the runtime as of this writing) with OBS-NDI 4.14.1 and testing with DistroAV's 6.0.0 prerelease build. Both seem to work fine here.

--Katt. =^.^=