Display capture freezes (28.1.2 / MacOS 13.0)

bearcatjamboree

I don't think you need OBS beta.... Ventura 13.1 is supposed to fix this according to the OBS bug tracker site. I just installed 13.1 and I've been recording for over 30 minutes without freezing so far. I'll update later...

CombatKevin

I was experiencing the macOS Screen Capture bug; changing source refreshed it only to be frozen again some time later.

I read this forum thread and saw that updating to Ventura 13.1 could resolve it and so, as I have done far too many times to be comfortable, I immediately started the update. This was a mistake as now I can't capture anything.

When I open it, the camera's green light turns on and the audio adjusts in my headphones. 5 seconds later, the app freezes and I am obliged to force close OBS.

I have since tried:
- Restarting the mac
- Downloading OBS afresh and re-installing it
* by overwriting the previous app--idk if that's sufficient or not)
- Repeated a couple times, unnecessarily.
- "Hope"

Is there OBS cache that may have been corrupted by the update (is that even possible?)? Can I maintain my scenes and sources while simultaneously refreshing the installed app?

I appreciate your time and attention.

Cheers!

YeetBurger

Im having similar freezing in OBS. im on MacBook Pro 2022 running Ventura 13.0.1.

I use a 2nd main screen which im trying to capture gameplay from (either playstation remote play app or NVidid Gefocrce NOW) and use epoch pro for my face cam. the Mac screen capture (game play in full screen) will just randomly freeze (but my face cam continues as normal) so it seems maybe something to do with the screen capture input and not the program? the game continues as normal.. its just the preview in OBS that freezes.

if I go in and with source and back to my game play window.. it starts working again.. but eventually freezes again after a while. so frustrating!

ANY help would be great!! thanks! Iv attached a log file too if that helps?

Attachments

• 2023-01-13 12-51-30.txt
    20.1 KB · Views: 32

JYCHER96

Same problem here... just got my MacBook M2 chip on Ventura 13.2.1... I noticed that the update version of OBS under Sources - Display Capture is replaced macOS Screen Capture... then the freeze issue appeared.

JYCHER96

Same problem here... just got my MacBook M2 chip on Ventura 13.2.1... I noticed that the update version of OBS under Sources - Display Capture is replaced macOS Screen Capture... then the freeze issue appeared. ..
I managed to solve my problem... under Sources >> + (add) >> select Deprecated >> select Display Capture ..... solve the freeze issue !

robotspacer

In case this helps anyone: last night I ran into a similar issue. OBS Studio 29.0.2, macOS 13.3.1, Mac Studio M1 Max. I've been using the "macOS Screen Capture" method set to "Window Capture" for months without problems. Suddenly last night the screen capture froze in the middle of the stream. Worked fine for three hours but suddenly it was happening after recoding for just 5-7 minutes. After a ton of troubleshooting I finally realized I only had 5GB of free space on my main drive.

If you're actually *out* of space you'll get errors from OBS and macOS so it's easier to figure out what's happening. But apparently the new screen capture method will start failing just from being *low* on drive space, without any warnings. (I even dug through the OBS logs and Console and couldn't see anything pointing to the problem there!)

nasirjd

I am capturing my Macbook Air M2's built-in retina display via 'display capture' method for use in a scene.

I notice that sometime after 20/30/40 min, the captured picture just freezes. I can 'unfreeze' it by switching to a different display in the properties dialogue or if I just untick/tick the 'show cursor' checkmark.

Is this a known issue?
I have the same issue, it is always happening when my Mac goes to sleep, always so I think it's really easy to reproduce

maik1

OP here. I encouter the very same thing now on MacOS 13.5 and 29.1.3. Does anyone have this issue, too?

Display capture freezes all the time. It's infuriating :(

levinguyen02

I am having a kind of same issue. My recording will freeze if I do not move my mouse. If I move it, everything will be fine. But of course, I can not move it all the time. :D

Colin MacLeod

I managed to solve my problem... under Sources >> + (add) >> select Deprecated >> select Display Capture ..... solve the freeze issue !

My two displays using "macOS Screen Capture" always freeze after the computer sleeps.

Reverting to the deprecated screen capture is the only thing that works for me.

DimensionSlider

I think problem no longer persists on Sonoma at least 14.1. I tested it for several hours leaving the laptop to itself recording screen. Normally it takes around 40-50 minutes to freeze.

Last edited: