Display capture freezes (28.1.2 / MacOS 13.0)

maik1

I am capturing my Macbook Air M2's built-in retina display via 'display capture' method for use in a scene.

I notice that sometime after 20/30/40 min, the captured picture just freezes. I can 'unfreeze' it by switching to a different display in the properties dialogue or if I just untick/tick the 'show cursor' checkmark.

Is this a known issue?

steven.lannoo

Exactly the same on MacBook Air M2 macOS Ventura latest versions.
Sometimes it freezes multiple times within minutes, sometimes it can take 20 to 30 minutes.
or if I just untick/tick the 'show cursor' checkmark
I do the same to unfreeze the screen display but it's not viable.

JavierCane

Same here.

OBS Studio 28.1.2 (64 bits)
MacBook specs:
  • MacBook Pro 13-inch, M1, 2020
  • Chip Apple M1
  • Memory 16 GB
  • macOS 13.0.1 (22A400)
Thanks

Oxbe

Same thing here...
Changing screens (source) temporarily solves the problem...

MacBook Pro 14
MacOSX 13.0.1
M1 Pro 10/16/16
16go ram
OBS 28.1.2 (ARM)

nrbo

I can report I have been experiencing the same. It was working fine over the past few days and yesterday my whole recording was regularly freezing (sound was gone too).
M1 Pro, macOS 13.0.1

Eduiba

The same happens to me (M1 MacBook). It woks OK all the way using MKV file format under software encoder though.
This is just frustrating, now I need to convert from mkv to mov in order to edit my recording.

K1m6aTV

Did anyone figure out a solution for this? Having same issue as well. Anyone know if upgrading to the 29 Beta fixes these things?

phabvionics

I was seeing this on 28.1.1; I don't know about 28.1.2 yet as I've only just upgraded to it but I guess it's going to behave the same way. Macbook air M1. I'm using MKV.

lerige

same issue here,
after 19mn "macos screen capture" froze. the video is being captured but on a frozen image and I don't have sound.

macbook air M1 on ventura, OBS 28.1.2 64 bits

bearcatjamboree

I have the same issue. The only thing I see in the log is the following:

20:26:21.685: Max audio buffering reached!
20:26:21.685: adding 832 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 960 milliseconds (source: Background Loop)

But, I do not think the audio buffering is the cause of the video capture issue...

bearcatjamboree

To elaborate, I saw some really old threads about this error message but I ran with the "macOS Window Capture" and with "Window Capture" and the older method had the same buffer error but never froze up. I believe the hang is related to the new "macOS Window Capture"

Oxbe

Test with OBS 29 beta 2 and Ventura 13.1 = Problem Solved = Stream 3h without freeze
(To be confirmed during the next stream)