Resource icon

DirectShow Audio Source Plugin

crono141

New Member
Does anyone have a mirror to the files in the OP? The OP's server appears to be down.

EDIT: Nevermind, links are live again.
 

Gunlex

New Member
KillerKuma said:
Currently having issues. Using Speakers/Default Device for Gameplay and headset for Comms. I'm using the plugin to add the Comms/Headphones/Default Communications Device and it simply no longer works. What is new in general with the latest OBS in the list of devices is a second list with all my devices but with a prefix of: "Direct Sound:" ie:"Direct Sound: Device Name Here" I do have a sound card, ASUS Xonar Pheobus (sound cancelling is amazing with my studio condenser mic!), if that may provide another issue.

I've also tried reverting to an older OBS and still having issues for some reason. Will try again in the mean time and will post a version that works if that's what it takes. Truly love how simple this plugin is when it works. I hate making everything into one audio source when gaming/drawing. May go with VAC later if I feel like it... I just already have over 10 audio devices. Wouldn't appreciate more added to the list!

Same issue, I've got the plugin installed and working, but it simply doesn't work. I've tried using it to pick up ANY of the audio sources in my list and it just won't. I also have the "DirectSound" prefix, and they don't work either. I was really hoping this would work as I use an Astro Mixamp and use my "Astro Speakers" as the output device to control the system volume to my computer volume through my mixamp, and processing of voice chat from skype or TS through my mixamp makes it sound MUCH better.

If anyone has any information please share!
 

KillerKuma

New Member
Gunlex said:
KillerKuma said:
Currently having issues. Using Speakers/Default Device for Gameplay and headset for Comms. I'm using the plugin to add the Comms/Headphones/Default Communications Device and it simply no longer works. What is new in general with the latest OBS in the list of devices is a second list with all my devices but with a prefix of: "Direct Sound:" ie:"Direct Sound: Device Name Here" I do have a sound card, ASUS Xonar Pheobus (sound cancelling is amazing with my studio condenser mic!), if that may provide another issue.

I've also tried reverting to an older OBS and still having issues for some reason. Will try again in the mean time and will post a version that works if that's what it takes. Truly love how simple this plugin is when it works. I hate making everything into one audio source when gaming/drawing. May go with VAC later if I feel like it... I just already have over 10 audio devices. Wouldn't appreciate more added to the list!

Same issue, I've got the plugin installed and working, but it simply doesn't work. I've tried using it to pick up ANY of the audio sources in my list and it just won't. I also have the "DirectSound" prefix, and they don't work either. I was really hoping this would work as I use an Astro Mixamp and use my "Astro Speakers" as the output device to control the system volume to my computer volume through my mixamp, and processing of voice chat from skype or TS through my mixamp makes it sound MUCH better.

If anyone has any information please share!
I've come to find it's and issue with different sound cards/units. If you use a card that is not DirectShow compatible then there will be issues. I was just lucky to have it working once in the past. Since I'm using Dolby audio and many other sound improvement features, that is just simply where the problem starts. DirectShow is just too simple and the audio programs we use are too complex. Still, this will be possible in the future with new programs in the horizon I'm following that will virtualize any input and output. For now, look up VAC and VB-Audio and see if they work for you. Personally using VB at the moment.
 

Gunlex

New Member
KillerKuma said:
I've come to find it's and issue with different sound cards/units. If you use a card that is not DirectShow compatible then there will be issues. I was just lucky to have it working once in the past. Since I'm using Dolby audio and many other sound improvement features, that is just simply where the problem starts. DirectShow is just too simple and the audio programs we use are too complex. Still, this will be possible in the future with new programs in the horizon I'm following that will virtualize any input and output. For now, look up VAC and VB-Audio and see if they work for you. Personally using VB at the moment.
Thank you for the reply! I did look into VAC, but just can't bring myself to pay $50 regardless if it solves my issue or not, I feel like this is a pretty simple option to allow multiple audio inputs to the program. I will check out VB-Audio when I get home.

With VAC it made it sound like what it essentially does is set up another audio device in your system that you can output sound to, but that's not really what I want, because I still wont be able to control that audio device with my Mixamp, and it won't get the post-processing my mixamp device is giving me to make the voice chat sound better. I really just need another Audio field in the OBS settings =[
 

KillerKuma

New Member
Gunlex said:
KillerKuma said:
I've come to find it's and issue with different sound cards/units. If you use a card that is not DirectShow compatible then there will be issues. I was just lucky to have it working once in the past. Since I'm using Dolby audio and many other sound improvement features, that is just simply where the problem starts. DirectShow is just too simple and the audio programs we use are too complex. Still, this will be possible in the future with new programs in the horizon I'm following that will virtualize any input and output. For now, look up VAC and VB-Audio and see if they work for you. Personally using VB at the moment.
Thank you for the reply! I did look into VAC, but just can't bring myself to pay $50 regardless if it solves my issue or not, I feel like this is a pretty simple option to allow multiple audio inputs to the program. I will check out VB-Audio when I get home.

With VAC it made it sound like what it essentially does is set up another audio device in your system that you can output sound to, but that's not really what I want, because I still wont be able to control that audio device with my Mixamp, and it won't get the post-processing my mixamp device is giving me to make the voice chat sound better. I really just need another Audio field in the OBS settings =[

Yeah... Unfortunately it's not easy or usable on a regular basis. You have to set it up every time for recording. I feel your pain! VB is at least, free...
 

leone007

New Member
Gunlex said:
KillerKuma said:
Currently having issues. Using Speakers/Default Device for Gameplay and headset for Comms. I'm using the plugin to add the Comms/Headphones/Default Communications Device and it simply no longer works. What is new in general with the latest OBS in the list of devices is a second list with all my devices but with a prefix of: "Direct Sound:" ie:"Direct Sound: Device Name Here" I do have a sound card, ASUS Xonar Pheobus (sound cancelling is amazing with my studio condenser mic!), if that may provide another issue.

I've also tried reverting to an older OBS and still having issues for some reason. Will try again in the mean time and will post a version that works if that's what it takes. Truly love how simple this plugin is when it works. I hate making everything into one audio source when gaming/drawing. May go with VAC later if I feel like it... I just already have over 10 audio devices. Wouldn't appreciate more added to the list!

Same issue, I've got the plugin installed and working, but it simply doesn't work. I've tried using it to pick up ANY of the audio sources in my list and it just won't. I also have the "DirectSound" prefix, and they don't work either. I was really hoping this would work as I use an Astro Mixamp and use my "Astro Speakers" as the output device to control the system volume to my computer volume through my mixamp, and processing of voice chat from skype or TS through my mixamp makes it sound MUCH better.

If anyone has any information please share!
What would you like to achieve? stream your digital output (connected to mixamp via optical cable) and your astro headset output too? Did you try using your mixamp's stream output connected to line in and streamin that?
 

meathelix

New Member
Hello, I was wondering can this record my audio as well. Since I want to record all my audio as a separate file like what I can do in dxtory
 

meathelix

New Member
may have to get avermedia to try implement it into their own software :( I thought it would be as straight forward since dxtory has it and Avermedia has the mic done that way but ah well dxtory it is for now.
 

Aratar

New Member
Great plug-in, I use it to switch on/off TeamSpeak audio for my steam simply by enabling/disabling the source. Thanks so much.
 

Jelle458

New Member
Hi!

I have been trying this plugin since I have quite a unique speaker setup. I've got a microphone and speaker box build together with buttons for skype. This unit is used for skype at all times. It runs over USB and has it's own sound card.

Then I am using my motherboards onboard sound card for sound (Supreme FXII, ASUS Crosshair V Formula). This outputs my game's sound and music playing in the background.

So this plugin is kinda my savior, but it doesn't seem to really work...

I have tried setting the default sound on OBS to my USB unit, and that works, I can hear what other people are saying to me via the stream. I have also tried setting it to my onboard sound card, and that works too, now I can hear the game and music on the stream. So OBS can read both devices.

I then tried to let this plugin handle the sound from my USB unit, nothing happens. Then I try to let it handle the sound from the game and the music, again nothing happens. I am 100% sure I have selected the same device on the list as I have tried in OBS.

I first tried with OBS version 0.542b because I saw a youtube video with a guy who got it working (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5VGKhYBKfg) but that didn't go well, it just said "string not found" everywhere and nothing worked.
Then I tried the newest version 0.592b but that wouldn't even load the plugin, I was unable to add it as a source, but could see it in the plugins list.
I am now running 0.552b where it seems to be "working", at least it can find the strings and I can add it as a source.

But it still doesn't work.

Some nice soul out there who could help me? :(
 

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Forum Moderator
Unfortunately its hard to add playback devices using DShow. At least in my experience.

What I would recommend is to check if your onboard soundcard has a stereomix device under playback, you could then use this with the dshow plugin to get the game sound and music into OBS.
If you dont have such a device you could use vac/vb-cable as your default device to receive game/music sound and then use the listen to function to forward its sound to your onboard card. The vb-cable/vac line should be usable by the dshow plugin.
 

Jelle458

New Member
Jack0r said:
Unfortunately its hard to add playback devices using DShow. At least in my experience.

What I would recommend is to check if your onboard soundcard has a stereomix device under playback, you could then use this with the dshow plugin to get the game sound and music into OBS.
If you dont have such a device you could use vac/vb-cable as your default device to receive game/music sound and then use the listen to function to forward its sound to your onboard card. The vb-cable/vac line should be usable by the dshow plugin.
I am not a huge audio man, so I have a hard time following what you mean. I am using Realtek HD Audio manager as software for my sound card, and I cannot find anything about stereomix. I am also using 5.1 surround sound and would like to output that as well.

What you are suggesting is buying a box which has a sound card and can have multiple inputs and output all of the audio to that one, then use that as default microphone?
 

Snappiestjack

New Member
Wondering if anyone here can help.

I seem to be having problems using this plugin, my set up is as follows;

I have my music player (foobar2000) set up to playback straight to my headphones;
My default playback device is a virtual cable, then I'm using the "listen to" function to hear it.

The issue I have is that I am trying to get it so that when I'm playing a game I'm only streaming system sounds eg game sounds, then when I take a break I want to be able to stream music I'm playing.
So I add a DirectShow Audio source to the break scene set up to capture headphones (which foobar outputs too) but nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.

Jack
 

Koskhun

New Member
Hello,
i try to stream some mixes with Virtual DJ and a Pioneer DDJ WEGO (with own audio card). Unfortunately, OBS don't recognize the dj controller as sound device. I can choose it in the audio option but when i do so, OBS stop running and i get this message:

Error
Cannot initialize desktop audio sound, more info in the log file.

I tried first with OBS alone, then i found this plugin and tried it. No one works and i don't find the "log" file the error message tell me.
I have more choices with the plugin in periph/aux. option but i find only the microphon option for my controller. I tried several combinations but can't get any sound. The controller and software work with ASIO audio driver.
Thanks for helping if anyone knows something.
It's look like stream-software just don't support dj controllers :(
Ok i tried as told on an video post on this topic: to get music from my line-in. It means: i go from pc to controller and then from controller to line-in from pc. Everything launch well, but i can't find line-in in the Audio device detection from DirectShow Audio Source setting in OBS. I get nearer :) (my line-in is enable and ready on the windows control panel)
But i can't find it on DirectShow Audio Source. And if i try to activate stereomix i get huge echo (micro is off) and i can't find it either on DirectShow Audio Source :(

So, i tried several ways but no way to get my line-in on OBS. Maybe there is some interference between the sound drivers or so... i give up
 

Ramuthra

New Member
For whatever reason, whatever audio source I add simply does not work. Which is strange, as it was working the day before. Now no matter what I add (including my mic just test it) it just does not work. 0 Audio. I've split my audio using VAC for my Dxtory, so any solution including fixing this plugin would be fantastic. I just need 2 audio sources being inputted into OBS.
 

Koskhun

New Member
I find a solution using VAC but i can't get it using directshow audio source. I have to chose VAC speaker in the main audio setup of OBS. I can't split the or just have one etc. Seems this plugin don't work good for me...
 

bitslizer

New Member
I'm trying to have VLC play a music stream output to VAC which the DirectShow audio plugin use as the input source and output to stream only.

however when set to output to stream only, the music would be stuttering. Doesn't happen when set to output to desktop audio

here's a very quick video of it stuttering and a screenshot of how the sounds and OBS are setup. doesn't matter if I set it as a per scene or global source either
http://youtu.be/N4DYbYhV5i0
 

Attachments

Top