Question / Help Difference between NVENC GTX1060 and GTX760

Ja_mi

Hi there,
I was wondering if there are differences between NVENC of a 1060 and a 760? I would like to stream with a 2 PC Setup and I'm testing x264 presets of my CPU. Im mostly testing with 6mbit bitrate and in my (and my girlfriends) opinion 720p60 and 900p60 NVENC(6mbit) look pretty much the same as x264 veryfast.

If I buy a GTX 760, would it look like I would stream from a 1060 or are there differences in quality?

Thanks in advance

Ja_mi

How do you know? Is there a test somewhere I can read? I´ve searched quite a bit but havn´t found anything about this topic.
So do I understand it right there is not just a performance increase but acutally quality increase? When I would stream with a 760 6mbit it would really look much worse than a 1060 at 6mbit?

Harold

Somewhere on these forums I'm pretty sure there's comparisons of recording and streaming with the various cards. It wasn't until the 9x0 series cards that nvenc started being able to compete with any of the x264 presets (ultrafast) and only in the 10x0 series did it start being comparable to the x264 veryfast preset in quality per bitrate.

The nvenc hardware in newer cards is also better able to handle higher resolutions.

Ja_mi

I´ve looked for that in like every forum and I even started a thread on a subreddit of NVIDIA and no one so far could tell me exact things nor any testing. I´ve found a matrix from NVIDIA where you can see the difference between the NVENC features of every chipset so far. And no there seems to be no change in quality but in performance.
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix
A user on reddit also told me there would be no change in quality between a 760/1060 and there is just a performance difference and you can use like h265, 4k and so on. I still cant find anything about this topic in here. Can you link me something or tell me how you found it?

Thanks

Ja_mi

So in fact this means a stream of a Kepler GPU like GTX 760 for about 50€ with NVENC would look almost as good as my actual CPU on x264 veryfast.
And because he just tested 3,5mbit/s the quality in comparison with x264 should up a bit more if I would stream at 6mbit/s.

Harold

Not actually, no. The 760 will look worse, and if you install both cards in the same computer, you're crippling system performance for no gain.

Ja_mi

I was thinking about 2 options:
1. replacing my actual 3570k with a 8400 so I could use my old 3570k with a capture card to stream. My actual 3570k only reaches stable x264 veryfast at 900p60 6mbit/s + OBS + camera. That would be like 500-550€ for all parts I need to change. -> x264 veryfast 900p60
2. I thought about getting an old pc with i5 4570 for about 120-150€, installing a 40-50€ GTX 760 in it + capturecard. That would be like 250-300€ and I could play with my 3570k with no performance issues and stream from the other one (captured) with NVENC. -> NVENC HQ 900p60

The test you linked showed that even a Kepler NVENC stream look almost as good as a veryfast x264 stream. So after all it seems like option 1 and 2 wouldnt look hugely different but the pricetag does. Right?