Question / Help Desktop Audio not working for chat

Talzanar

Hey there guys, first time here and looking for some help with a issue I've had for a few weeks now, I originally negated the issues by just using Streamlabs obs instead, however i have had issues with lagging the content.

So my issue starts 2 weeks ago, No hardware changes, nothing changed at all system level, My chat were complaining they could not hear anything, I checked windows and obs sound mixers and everything was fine, I could see the green bar's on both going up and down with the music etc but they cannot hear it all of a sudden.

I have searched the internet for answers and been unable to find anything other than please run 64 bit version or run as Administrator and ofc they have not worked for me. I have made sure OBS is not muted on a windows level or even turned down, I have made sure that the video channels are all properly selected inside OBS audio settings, I have made sure all settings in obs are directed to my head phones and not the default option " I also tried default but it does not hear anything at all " and last but not least I attempted to use DESKTOP AUDIO 2 but the sound simply does not register at all period. " as shown in working bars screenshot " I have tried what I can to make sound come from Desktop audio two but no luck there either.

I hope someone is able to read this and give me a snappy EZ PZ fix :)

Thank you for taking the time. Kind regards

Attachments

• obsaudiosettings.png
    obsaudiosettings.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 195
  • workingbars.png
    workingbars.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 190

Talzanar

Is the support forums here based of the community for answers or is there a wait time to expect a OBS mod to take a look?

I really need help fixing this so I can get my stream back to full quality! Thank you!

Narcogen

I can't say I have but I'm also not sure why you've done certain things.

16:53:31.995: WASAPI: Device 'Speakers (I'm Fulla Schiit)' initialized
16:53:32.009: WASAPI: Device 'Speakers (I'm Fulla Schiit)' initialized

This indicates you have the same audio device configured twice. You screenshots confirm this. I can't think of a good reason to do this. If device exclusivity is on for that device in Windows' sound settings, one will work and the other will fail, and if you have the non-working one assigned to the audio track you're streaming, then you'd have no audio.

If one audio device you've selected as a source doesn't work, the solution isn't going to be making a 2nd source for the same device, it's figuring out why the first doesn't work.

One good step can be start by not assigning any devices in Settings > Audio and instead adding a source individually to a scene.

Also check which devices are assigned to which track(s) in Edit > Advanced Audio Properties, and which Track you are sending to stream in Settings > Output > Streaming > Audio Track

Talzanar

I can't say I have but I'm also not sure why you've done certain things.

16:53:31.995: WASAPI: Device 'Speakers (I'm Fulla Schiit)' initialized
16:53:32.009: WASAPI: Device 'Speakers (I'm Fulla Schiit)' initialized

This indicates you have the same audio device configured twice. You screenshots confirm this. I can't think of a good reason to do this. If device exclusivity is on for that device in Windows' sound settings, one will work and the other will fail, and if you have the non-working one assigned to the audio track you're streaming, then you'd have no audio.

If one audio device you've selected as a source doesn't work, the solution isn't going to be making a 2nd source for the same device, it's figuring out why the first doesn't work.

One good step can be start by not assigning any devices in Settings > Audio and instead adding a source individually to a scene.

Also check which devices are assigned to which track(s) in Edit > Advanced Audio Properties, and which Track you are sending to stream in Settings > Output > Streaming > Audio Track

The reason for doing this was that when I started streaming two years ago, chat could not hear Desktop Audio 1, So I swapped my I'm Fulla Schiit devices to Desktop Audio 2 and I had no problems for the whole two years. Then couple of weeks ago, my audio died from Desktop audio 2 and now the only signal OBS see's is Desktop Audio One and as stated my chat do not hear the audio, nor does it record any audio.

I have already checked that my audio channels in OBS are correct, I have double and triple checked it. I honestly do not understand why my community cannot hear Desktop audio one even though the signal is there and constantly active.

I would love to go over this on discord perhaps? If that is an available option I can be found at Talzanar#1337, Thank you again for your time.

Attachments

• audiochannels.png
    audiochannels.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Talzanar

Hey there everyone, I cannot stream at all right now as stream labs obs is for some reason really unstable with any title that isn't well optimised for resource allocation etc "Escape from Tarkov, Wolcen,Rainbow Six Siege etc", I really need assistance with this <3 I am a disabled father who streams to keep busy and need my hobby back to stop my self going insane :) Thank you again!

Talzanar

StreamLabs provides support for StreamLabs OBS (SLOBS).

Im not looking for stream labs obs support - I am looking for OBS support as to why it is unable to record or produce sound for my Live audience.

I mentioned this in the posts above, I am only using Streamlabs OBS because it does hear my audio but sadly is unstable for a lot of titles I would be playing to my community.

Hence I would like to have my original issue resolved within OBS.

Narcogen

Im not looking for stream labs obs support - I am looking for OBS support as to why it is unable to record or produce sound for my Live audience.

I mentioned this in the posts above, I am only using Streamlabs OBS because it does hear my audio but sadly is unstable for a lot of titles I would be playing to my community.

Hence I would like to have my original issue resolved within OBS.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post.

I actually gave you several suggestions, most of which you either dismissed or didn't respond to.

1) You don't need the same device configured twice in the same scene. If it works it will echo. If exclusivity is on, at least one will fail. Whether you did it at some time in the past, or thought you had a reason for doing so isn't really important-- even if it's not contributing to your failure state, it's not normal or expected, and having it be there in the log complicates troubleshooting, because as long as it is there, it can't be ruled out as a cause of your problem.

2) Track assignments. You can assign multiple devices to one track, but you can only stream one track. Responding to that with "I've checked my tracks" isn't helpful, because that doesn't tell me which devices you've assigned to which track, or which track you've set to stream. If you don't write that information or screenshot the relevant portions of the interface, that also can't be eliminated as a potential cause of your problem.

3) I suggested eliminating all sources of audio in your scene(s) and the Settings > Audio page and then enabling your desired devices, one at a time. This is a normal procedure used when trying to find out what the source of a problem is. If you did this, there's no indication of it because you didn't address it in your post, and you didn't include another log with this done.

Talzanar

1) You don't need the same device configured twice in the same scene. If it works it will echo. If exclusivity is on, at least one will fail. Whether you did it at some time in the past, or thought you had a reason for doing so isn't really important-- even if it's not contributing to your failure state, it's not normal or expected, and having it be there in the log complicates troubleshooting, because as long as it is there, it can't be ruled out as a cause of your problem.

The only reason it was configured twice was because for what ever reason Desk top audio One has never been heard in recordings or OBS live. When I used the same input to desktop audio Two everything worked as intended. Both audio settings have the same channels selected etc they are identical and yet only audio is was originally heard. Now desk top audio two no longer registers any audio at all regardless of either being the same as device one or even when I swap it to listen to the speakers it still fails to show any peaks at all. When audio one is enabled via speakers it sees it fine but no one can hear it.

2) Track assignments. You can assign multiple devices to one track, but you can only stream one track. Responding to that with "I've checked my tracks" isn't helpful, because that doesn't tell me which devices you've assigned to which track, or which track you've set to stream. If you don't write that information or screenshot the relevant portions of the interface, that also can't be eliminated as a potential cause of your problem.

To my knowledge I did answer your question by stating I had checked to ensure they were fine as well as providing a screenshot of the actual panel. You did not reply with stating it wasnt enough information was I was unaware of this point.

3) I suggested eliminating all sources of audio in your scene(s) and the Settings > Audio page and then enabling your desired devices, one at a time. This is a normal procedure used when trying to find out what the source of a problem is. If you did this, there's no indication of it because you didn't address it in your post, and you didn't include another log with this done.

I would say that what you originally said " One good step can be start by not assigning any devices in Settings > Audio and instead adding a source individually to a scene. " Stating I can attach source to a individual scene is not the same as removing all and enabling one device at a time. Would appreciate more assistance here if this may be the root cause as I thought I had done this already.

Thank you again for your time and patience with me.

Narcogen

The only reason it was configured twice was because for what ever reason Desk top audio One has never been heard in recordings or OBS live. When I used the same input to desktop audio Two everything worked as intended.

That one did not work meant something was wrong. The workaround is not to just add it a 2nd time. If the 2nd one was working, the 1st was unnecessary. Again, you'd either get echo or failure, if not immediately, then later.

When audio one is enabled via speakers it sees it fine but no one can hear it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

What you're dealing with in OBS is a pathway for audio and video that is completely separate from your local PC. It is entirely possible for be able to stream something you can't hear, and to be able to hear something you're not streaming, because OBS allows that level of flexibility.

There's literally no connection between something being "enabled via speakers" and the audience not being able to hear it.

For most people, an app or game you're trying to stream will be sending audio to the default Windows system device, so either that device should be configured in Settings > Audio so it shows up in all scenes, or it should be added as an audio output source in a scene. In most cases, this will mean turning device exclusivity off in Windows' audio setup.

OBS can capture audio sent to a device that doesn't even have a hardware output, and there are instances where you may not want it to have an output.

Unless something is catastrophically wrong with your Windows install, if you do the following:

1) Choose an audio device connected to your system as. your Windows default
2) Add that device to OBS, either in Settings > Audio or as an output source in a scene
3) Assign that device to Track 1 (should be there by default)
4) Set streaming output to use Track 1 (should be there by default)
5) Set recording output to record Track 1 (should be there by default)

Then you will get audio in your streams/recordings.

Depending on your configuration, you may not *hear* this audio, but that's a second problem, and you shouldn't address that problem in a way that breaks the ability to record or stream the audio. And if you do the above and you can hear the audio, but aren't recording or streaming it, you shouldn't address that by assigning the same device *again* because that can/will cause its own problems. The most likely of those is the one you describe-- OBS doesn't register any audio.

I'd suggest making a fresh blank profile and scene collection. Put in minimal sources, directly in the scene-- leave Settings > Audio alone. Add a display capture and your default audio device. Confirm that audio from your system gets into OBS, and confirm that you can record it, and then that you can stream it.

Talzanar

Thank you for your reply, I will get to this asap. I am really hoping it is not my OS and honestly I have seen nothing to suggest it is considering all other broadcasting software can see / hear my audio.

What I trying to say was that when I had enabled my monitor speakers as desktop audio one input, the bar shows audio is being received by OBS but does not transmit it to my live audience or within any local recording same as the headset input. However only desktop audio one now registere's audio via the VOLUME meter. Even though both devices have been selected individually as well as configured to be identical, only one source claims audio is working while not actually being able to be heard via broadcast or local host.

I am aware that the fact Desktop audio one was not heard in the first place is indeed the issue, however it's odd that I was able to get around it simply by allowing desktop audio two input to be my headset / speakers and it worked fine for over two year's before now running into this wall. What is even more strange is over the last two year's I have had multiple installations of windows so that would suggest hardware but as all other broad casting software see's and hear's me its honestly just got me completely lost.

Like I said in a previous message, as I am unaware if its against forum policy but I would be happy to screen share in a dicord call if that would help me explain the whole situation more clearly.

Thank you again, I will get back to this post asap. ( Screenshot is with both desktop audio one and two both selected to my headset but only detects audio from one source and that source cannot be heard )

Attachments

• audiolevels.png
    audiolevels.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 34

Talzanar

I have done as you have suggested, all audio has been dial'ed back to default as well as fresh profile. I have fantastic new's - My local recordings can hear my desktop audio now.

For as happy as I am, I am still left confused on what changed to brake what ever audio I had working in the first place. However it does not matter now. I am very grateful you have taken the time to assist me my friend.

I hope anyone who finds this thread in future, please do not listen to your friends suggesting to split audio channels for better / cleaner editing :) I am almost 100% sure that's what lead me here haha.

Thank you again!

Narcogen

Actually I give that advice and I do record separate audio tracks.

The thing is, if you're doing recordings for later editing, you absolutely can (and should!) record each audio device in a separate track so that you can duck tracks in your editor.

But you can only *stream* one audio track at a time. So that means you need configured in OBS a number of audio tracks equal to the number of audio sources you have, plus one.

So if you have a microphone and your windows system default audio, you need 3 tracks.

1) microphone
2) windows audio
3) mic + windows audio

In this configuration, you want to record tracks 1 and 2 (optionally 3), and then *stream* track 3.

If you use the NDI module, keep in mind that it defaults to sending only track 1, so you may want to invert the above setup, putting all devices on track 1, and separate devices on tracks 2-3, and then stream track 1.