Custom Audio Mixing Per Scene

SumDim

Many of us have multiple scenes we hotkey or click into to trigger during recording or streaming.

This is a request to store mixer settings on a per Scene basis.
For example, when I put up a branding scene, there is no need to have the Mic/Aux on. It should be muted.
However, when I mute it in the main mixer, this setting affects all Scenes. Same goes true for other scenes people commonly use like "Starting in a moment", "Stream intermission", and "Stream outros".

There is no way presently to shut the mics off when switching to these kinds of scenes without having to mute the mic. there can be many of them that are "hot" including analog mic, headset mic, and webcam mics.

OBS can do much better. It can be very embarrassing when there is audio playing during the course of those scenes. Stuff like spouse walking into the room and talking during intermission, dogs barking in intros, even people in the bathroom doing "business" (smirk)

Headset mics, multi-webcam mics, analog mics that are "hot" associated with a scene are a real pain to have to mute every time we step away or trigger a scene. Then, having to unmute them again.

SumDim

While that works by disabling the Mic/Aux and then assigning separate Audio Input Capture instances per scene, having a global overriding setting to turn off seems so unnatural and overly complicated.
I never understood why Mic/Aux Audio Device 1/2/3 and Desktop Audio Device 1/2 exists. It seems unnatural to assign a device "globally" across all scenes and then you have to disable it to get the greatest flexibility? What is it buying to the user having to setup his scenes this way? How does it make it easier?

Why not just let the user naturally assign Audio Input Capture and Audio Output Capture per Scene. Store the properties for each audio device instance per scene in config file. When the Scene is loaded, each source device and its preset properties are loaded. Even the part about Adding an Existing source seems unnecessary if treated in this "per instance" view.

Its object oriented. Instantiate a scene. Instantiate all sources in a scene. Initialize the scene object. Initialize each source object with default values and which can be overridden by custom values.

Just seems so unnatural to work with audio objects this way.

xucaen

I'm searching for a way to have custom audio mixer per scene and found this post. While the solution described here seems to work for microphones, it doesn't work for game audio. I should be able to mix audio from various applications. For example, one scene is for video game, so I mix the game audio with the mic audio. Another scene is a break, I show an image, scroll some credits and play a single music track. Another scene combines a second camera and mix and allows me to mix in sound effects. I can't seem to do all of this in OBS.

I agree with per scene settings. Before OBS studio branch you could do this. also to respond to the " just add it in the scenes you want and not in others" Example mic, game audio, music sources

scene 1 setup scene, music at 0DB, mic at -inf db, game at -inf db
scene 2 welcome to stream scene, music at -35db mic at -5db, game at -inf db
scene 3 game scene, music at -inf db, mic at 0db, game at -20db.

this used to be completely possible with OBS classic, why why why cant we do it now? i recognize that i can add a separate source for every instance of my mic(currently the only work around) but that means i have to add compressor/gate/ect filters to EVERY copy of the source, and if i need to tweak them i have to tweak them for every scene, yes i can "copy/paste filters" but why? this is base level audio automation, and it was working in the past.

Sam Hones

I wish I could reply.
I need help instead: how/where Filter settings can I set audio per scene - 3 visual inputs 1) PTZ CCTV camera, so hasn't got its own sound, sound is added in OBS line/mic in from LS9 sounddesk. problem is synchronisation. So want to synchronise sound for PTZ camera, then 2nd input =camcorder HDMI -- Magwell -- USB3. Again I would like to adjust synchro video/sound for it. (I can live with the fact that when switching inputs, there might be an amount of desync between the two inputs, but I hate desynched lips). 3rd input is VGA output to the projector paired off and captured into OBS with StarTech USB3 (dedicated PCI interface - needs it because it doesn't work with Asus driver/chipsets, but it allows all sorts of input formats (not all at the same time, though :-) )
I suppose getting the video's closer together by adjusting speed to each other and then adjust sound in each scene to match it, might be possible.

best option, imo, set up 3 separate audio input captures,one per scene. Point them all to the same audio device(ls9 nice console btw(theatre audio engineer by trade)) in filters you're going to want to add a VST 2.x Plugin and pop in a delay VST ReaDelay, part of Reaper by Cockos works, i know that. Use this if the audio is ahead of the video, on a per scene basis.

If the video is ahead of the audio, you can add a video delay in the audio video filters of the video source. you wont need the audio source VST in this case.

note: above is all theory crafted, i haven't tried it but this should work out for you. it works in the same way that multiple "independent" captures from the same audio device work, filters are separate only in this way, so their volumes would be also.... its the workaround working... good luck

Grefinar

Is a tool super needed, it was way better before, could add and quit sources in audio mixer for every Scene, so I could play music and only music on my Starting BRB and ending Scene, but nobody could listen me talking to my mates... (an easy example) Need an update with audio mixer fixes please!

ControlNode

I was literally just searching for a way of doing this. I'm thinking I may look into the scripting tools and see if there is a way there, maybe even "fade" the changes in the volume with that instead of just setting to a value in a millisecond. Will be much harder than if it was supported, but if I can hotkey a script and I hope the script can to more still though, like selective on the transitions when switching a scene depending on the current scene. Similar to the fixed transition option of a scene, but dynamic based on previous scene.

nullscan

I know it's been awhile, but I desperately need this ability as well. I am running two Elgato HD60 pros to capture 2 Xbox One sources. I run both sources on screen at once, picture-in-picture style and the insert game should be muted and when I bounce back and forth between them, trade off which audio source is muted.

I can't remove the audio source in OBS as it's tied into the capture card input itself, tried that. Can't use external audio apps like voicemeeter as elgato support has confirmed that if I'm running two cards in one box only one audio output will show in windows for manipulation.

I've been messing with this and searching for answers for weeks now, and have resigned myself to just rebuilding my scene in xsplit as they have an extension that will handle it, but It is not my desired outcome as I much prefer the obs family of software.

Brody Dolyniuk

Literally searched and joined the forum just to add myself as a +1 for this feature. Should be a no-brainer to be able to mute audio sources or change the volume level per scene.

LithiumFox

Not sure why this or at least per-scene "settings" isn't a thing yet. There are many products I need to "remix" to get the right audio. One game that sounds fine with my main settings gets way too loud but I need it loud for myself and for external audio applications (eg: butt kicker) Generally I like the mix myself but I need it a certain way for people to hear me.

Per scene audio mixing should be completely obvious to do, especially since scenes can have unique audio sources to begin with.

As much as I don't like being negative in general, the fact that it's been nearly 2-3 years since there was first a feature request for this on TOP of the fact that it seems like such a basic system to include (example Scene variables: Audio Mixer -> IsMuted:0,1, volume:{value};) seems pretty basic to me something that can be included.

meragon55

I have also just created an account for this exact reason OBS desperately needs to add a separate audio per scene feature to toggle on/off on preference or just make it like obs classic hopefully the devs see this and we get some news on the situation. +1

evilskills

+1. Please, this feature is super important, a real game-changer. I cannot believe it was somewhat removed rather than improved, in the studio version. I'm in a hurry trying to find a workaround; no luck so far. *pulls hair in desperation*

Chessset5

+1. Please, this feature is super important, a real game-changer. I cannot believe it was somewhat removed rather than improved, in the studio version. I'm in a hurry trying to find a workaround; no luck so far. *pulls hair in desperation*
Why not just have separate audio in each scene. EI the audio in and out objects. You can even copy paste the references so you can have the settings across the multiple scenes.

evilskills

Spot on! Thank you Chessset5! I'm trying to figure out your suggestion; disabling desktop audio globally and adding different sources for each scene but now I'm having out of sync problems. It looks like this is the way, tho. I'm just a noob fiddling back and forth.