Crash Immediately Upon Opening OBS - Seems to be related to Browser Source?

webcamcals

I've been having an issue with every version of OBS since 27.1.3, where it crashes immediately when I open it. I have a pretty complicated setup and assumed it was related to plugins I use or something, but I gave OBS v28 a chance and looked at the log file, and it seems like it has to do with the browser source?

Code:
Thread 4B18: CrBrowserMain (Crashed)

All I get when I google it is an issue with browser sources on Mac, but I'm on Windows. I'm totally stumped; any help would be appreciated! It would be really nice to be able to use the new version.

Attachments

• obscrashlogsept2022.txt
    150 KB · Views: 76

PaiSand

You're looking for whatever you have set as custom dock or browser source which isn't intalled with OBS and have to be manually added.
Remove and add one by one if necessary, testing in between each one until you hit the one causing the crash.

webcamcals

You're looking for whatever you have set as custom dock or browser source which isn't intalled with OBS and have to be manually added.
Remove and add one by one if necessary, testing in between each one until you hit the one causing the crash.
This reply made me so sad because i probably have like 200+ browser sources and several docks. It's going to be an absolute nightmare to try to solve this problem, but it now seems like I can't put off the update any longer because more and more of my plugins are breaking in version 27 :(

webcamcals

Is there any better way than literally deleting each of my hundreds of browser sources one by one and relaunching the program? I think that would be an entire day of work. I might try to export all of my settings so I can delete everything and try a "clean" launch of OBS, then try importing things back in?

webcamcals

Ok I think I solved it!!
I backed up my profiles, settings and scene collections in another folder, and then deleted everything necessary to do a clean install of OBS per this post:
%appdata%\obs-studio
c:\program files\obs-studio
c:\program files (x86)\obs-studio

Delete these.

Installed 28.0.2 as if I was using OBS for the first time, then imported my scene collection and everything looks good!! I'm not even sure if I'll bother importing the other stuff back, because the scene collection was all the complicated/creative stuff that I was worried about losing or having to recreate.

Hopefully this can be helpful if anybody else is having a similar issue!