Question / Help Crackling Audio

Starfx2002

So, i got this weird crackling audio when i plug in my Razer Ripsaw into my pc, but the crackling only start when i activate my capture card. Also i've tried changing the usb port and install a powered usb hub and it seems the crackling won't go away.

and as you can see in here the cpu is not so high, and also the rest

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG
Idk what to do again, and confused at the same time. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Also i have the log file here incase someone can see what happened
https://obsproject.com/logs/TkMTA7gkVB4VxoKH

Last edited:

DEDRICK

Crackling that occurs when activating another USB device means you are sending too much data over the same USB Hub, the sound buffer can't keep up. Adding VoiceMeeter on top of that is a recipe for underruns and dropouts.

First, make sure its not VoiceMeeter, and make sure your sample rate is the same across EVERY device, Voicemeeter and OBS. 48000 Hz or 48 kHz. You can also increase the buffer size in Voicemeeter but this will introduce latency.

If it still occurs after that...

A Powered USB hub will not help because it is still using a single USB.

An individual port on a motherboard is part of a root hub that shares the total throughput of the USB 3.0 bandwidth, so it's 5Gbps split across every port if you are really unlucky.

You probably have your Focusrite, Ripsaw, Webcam, Keyboard and Mouse all on the same hub, sometimes it is completely unavoidable with the way the motherboard is designed. You can try to rebalance the load if possible.

This is a huge issue for Oculus and Vive users, you need to buy something like this...It's 4 ports with 4 independent USB 3.0 channels, so each channel is dedicated 5.0 Gbps

https://www.amazon.com/Port-Express-SuperSpeed-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00HJZEA2S?th=1

Starfx2002

Crackling that occurs when activating another USB device means you are sending too much data over the same USB Hub, the sound buffer can't keep up. Adding VoiceMeeter on top of that is a recipe for underruns and dropouts.

First, make sure its not VoiceMeeter, and make sure your sample rate is the same across EVERY device, Voicemeeter and OBS. 48000 Hz or 48 kHz. You can also increase the buffer size in Voicemeeter but this will introduce latency.

An individual port on a motherboard is part of a root hub that shares the total throughput of the USB 3.0 bandwidth, so it's 5Gbps split across every port if you are really unlucky.

You probably have your Focusrite, Ripsaw, Webcam, Keyboard and Mouse all on the same hub, sometimes it is completely unavoidable with the way the motherboard is designed. You can try to rebalance the load if possible.

This is a huge issue for Oculus and Vive users, you need to buy something like this...It's 4 ports with 4 independent USB 3.0 channels, so each channel is dedicated 5.0 Gbps

https://www.amazon.com/Port-Express-SuperSpeed-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00HJZEA2S?th=1
man, that actually suck... i just research about my mobo (its Asus Z270I) and they actually split the bandwidht throughout the ports, never thought something like this till i ended up here. Thanks by the way man, don't exactly know i'm going to do now...

carlmmii

You can troubleshoot to see if it is actually a USB bandwidth problem. You can ignore any USB2.0 devices usually -- those use separate connections and host controllers and don't normally interfere with USB3.0 connections.

Just disconnect your other USB3.0 devices and see if the crackling problem persists. If you don't have any other USB3.0 devices, then lower the resolution of your ripsaw's capture.

Starfx2002

You can troubleshoot to see if it is actually a USB bandwidth problem. You can ignore any USB2.0 devices usually -- those use separate connections and host controllers and don't normally interfere with USB3.0 connections.

Just disconnect your other USB3.0 devices and see if the crackling problem persists. If you don't have any other USB3.0 devices, then lower the resolution of your ripsaw's capture.
I tried lowering the resolution tho, but the audio still crackling and there is no other usb 3.0 devices other than my ripsaw and probably the usb 3.0 hub that i have. Thanks for replying by the way

Starfx2002

wait, i've noticed that if i uninstall the focusrite driver, everything seems to work fine. Is it because some driver conflict or is it because the hardware??

jadartil

Sorry for necro but after searching and searching, I found this topic.
I have the same capture card, Razer Ripsaw 2016, and sent a support ticket to Razer in May 2019 but didn't resolve anything.

I thought it was my hardware so I changed from 4690k to 9900k but it still makes crackling noise but minimal.
Although I solved it by rolling back windows version from 1809 to 1807, that update made it like that.

I guess I can never really solve this because I have to use all USB hub in my system