Computer freezes and requires a hard reboot after 2-4 hours of streaming

French Tantan

Hi, I'm very new to OBS, so I don't know a lot about how it works. Basically, I've started streaming on Twitch, and after 2-4 hours live, my computer just freezes. Both my screens turn monochrome, the sound still works, but nothing else, and I have to hard reboot. This never happens when I just play games normally...
My computer is pretty decent:
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core with watercooling
- Gainward GeForce RTX 2060 Ghost OC
- G.Skill RipJaws 5 Series Noir 16 Go (2x 8 Go) DDR4 3200 MHz
- AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD 500 Go
- LDLC GT-550P Quality Select 80PLUS Platinum
- Windows 10 family
and as far as I could see, there was no overheating prior to the crashes (I had HWMonitor open the whole time)
My drivers are up to date
For audio and video, my webcam is a Razer Kiyo and my mic is a a HyperX SoloCast

I've only stremed twice as of yet. Once in 1080p 60fps, 6000 Kbps, NVENC, playing Kerbal Space Program. Crashed after 4 hours. Then 720p 30fps, 2000 Kbps, x264, playing No Man's Sky, crashed after 2 hours, then again after 15 minutes, then again after 30 minutes after I bumped the graphics quality waaay down

Trouble is, since the computer just freezes, the logs don't show anything. The only one showing something is the two hours stream here attached

I'm going to try stress testing my hardware, although first tries seem to be fine, and also I'm going to reinstall OBS. I'll update on Thursday (3/16/21) after the next stream, but if anyone might have an idea as to what it may be, please help...

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 2021-03-15 19-50-15.txt
    10 KB · Views: 27

Lawrence_SoCal

ALWAYS a bad idea to try and do something jitter sensitive like live streaming over WiFi... sometimes it works, but NOT something to EVER count on

Is there a reason why you aren't using NVENC to offload the video encoding to the GPU (to a physically separate port of the GPU from the part you use when gaming)?

Are you doing basic hardware resource monitoring? real-time video encoding, with the effects and filters you've selected are demanding. Your PC should be ok, but ... it depends... it is very easy to select some settings which will push a PC over the edge ..so to speak (become unstable due to over-work)

Re-scaling video takes extra CPU. If you have the Internet bandwidth, keeping your base canvas and output at 1080p will lower the certain work (a the expense of other... just what you do or don't have spare capacity for, isn't something I can tell from the logs)

run a test stream of your most demanding game for 5-10 minutes, and then post that log

French Tantan

Sorry in advance, your reply raised more questions aha
ALWAYS a bad idea to try and do something jitter sensitive like live streaming over WiFi... sometimes it works, but NOT something to EVER count on
I unfortunately don't have a choice... I live in a shared appartment, and the router is in the living room while my computer is in my own room. Since we're renting, I don't really have the luxury to put Internet cables through the walls, nor can I move the router... Might try PLC though.
Is there a reason why you aren't using NVENC to offload the video encoding to the GPU (to a physically separate port of the GPU from the part you use when gaming)?
Not really, I switched after the first stream crashed to test if it would work better. Given my GPU/CPU setup, do you suggest using NVENC? Also, sorry, I don't really understand what you mean by "physically separate"? Like, a capture card? Or capping the GPU usage for gaming? As for the port behind the GPU, I do have a second monitor plugged in for OBS, and there is a DVI port still available.
Are you doing basic hardware resource monitoring?
I mean I have HWMonitor as I said, but I don't check it every 5 seconds. What would you advise?
the effects and filters you've selected are demanding
Really? The two filters on my mic are that demanding?
Re-scaling video takes extra CPU. If you have the Internet bandwidth, keeping your base canvas and output at 1080p will lower the certain work
That I figured. But I'm not affiliated, and certainly not partnered, so I can't count on transcoding. Sweet spot for viewers with less desirable internet is 720p 30fps 2000 Kbps, so that's what I chose. I'm guessing I would run into the same problem by making my canvas 720p?
run a test stream of your most demanding game for 5-10 minutes, and then post that log
I mean... That was basically it... I know No Man's Sky isn't the most demanding game ever, but I foolishly put it in Ultra, which according to the game itself, is 2GB above my GPU capacity... But then again, I was in x264 mode. I'll try a new one tomorrow

French Tantan

Okay, I've been suggested to test the voltage of my CPU. Maybe it is badly set up and allows for slight overclock but the power doesn't follow, so it end up running out of breath, so to speak. It would explain why it lasted longer when I was in NVENC mode. I'll keep updating this thread based on what I try