Capture card audio cuts off randomly

Vallu

I'm sorry I don't know where I should seek help with this. While on OBS, the audio for my capture card will randomly cut off and will not come back until I disable and re enable the capture card. The frequency can go from 6 hours to 10 minutes, it really is just random. This has been happening for over a year and over time I've tried changing as many settings as I can and testing a stream with every different setting with no success. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The only theory I've had so far is that my CPU usage peaking at occasion might be what causes it, though this idea might come from placebo.

Capture card is Avermedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus - GC513

Example of it happening on stream with timestamp: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2136717298?t=02h59m27s

Log file of this same stream: https://pastebin.com/nP1BxTnz

qhobbes

1. In Windows, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode.
2. OBS is not running as Administrator. This can lead to OBS not being able to Game Capture certain games. You are using Window Capture for your games. To run OBS as Administrator, right click on the OBS shortcut, properties, advanced, check box, ok, apply, ok.
3. For your Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus, try changing to the format from H264 to NV12 and enable hardware decoding.
4. Your log contains no streaming session. Results of this log analysis are limited. Please post a link to a clean log file.
To make a clean log file, please follow these steps:
1) Restart OBS as Admin.
2) Start your stream for at least 30 seconds. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc.
3) Stop your stream.
4) Select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Send that link here.

Lawrence_SoCal

While it may appear random, I'm curious if you were doing real-time monitoring of hardware resource utilization, if a pattern might not become apparent. that is an old CPU (Intel 7th gen, current gen is 14th with some 15th out .. or soon to be) so CPU overload is certainly a risk depending on other factors... setup with recognition of under-powered nature... should be fine. BUT, with a bunch of default background processes running, eye candy type stuff enabled, etc... combined with computationally demanding real-time compositing... real easy to overwhelm such a system (okay a lot of the time, but a sustained CPU spike or delay caused by using a HDD instead of SSD, etc) and is can be easy and quick that the 'wheels fall off the bus'

Beware of potential Operating System user profile implications of running as Administrator
For testing, I'd NOT make the admin change (I consider that a last resort thing, due to negative security implications),, but sometimes it is required. It does tend to be easier to prioritize OBS Studio vs other apps, while risking system security in the process [that security compromise could then entail, worst case, financial fraud, ID theft, etc. If OBS Studio is on dedicated computer, in isolated VLAN, that one never does email, or anything financial/social media related, etc... then maybe... why the diatribe? I've seen too many compromised systems, with real negative personal consequences, often the result of choosing convenience and ease over other far more important priorities.]

qhobbes knows FAR more than I about OBS Studio. But I'd do the following in this order (with real-time hardware resource utilization monitoring):
- Qhobbes suggestion 1. Game Mode & 3. capture card video encoding format change from H264 to NV12
then, also
- you have mismatched audio sampling rates, often a bad thing to have especially on older, under-powered systems. Fix that at the Operating System level. Considering your issue is audio, you might even start here.
- beware CPU impact of chroma key and/or color correction, also with certain audio filters/effects like noise suppression. Test with all of those turned off/disabled/removed
Then re-run OBS Studio with a Recording/Streaming session per pinned post in this forum (link in my .sig)
- then if still having issues, I'd test then also test after dropping to 30fps

Fingers crossed - that gets you to a stable system. If not, then a log review certainly in order, and probably some results from the real-time monitoring, and possibly some Operating System optimizations for an under-powered system (disable auto-start of things that don't need to be... which is often many/most of them.. but it depends), etc..

Once you have a stable streaming setup, then you can slowly, methodically start increasing system load by picking what is most important to you (streaming FPS or color or audio) until you find the breaking point, ... then back off and leave some 'breathing room' there will almost always be the unknown, unexpected, and presuming you don't want that the break your future streams, you need some buffer capacity to handle that unexpected spike. For example, a common recommendation is to figure out your particular upload bandwidth available (low point, not peak) then pick something around 80% of that... just an example of leaving room for the unexpected to avoid a 'crash' or other undesirable impact

Vallu

Okay finally managed to have the issue happen on a stream that was not too long to get a log file for. I uploaded "Current Log File" as soon as I was notified of the audio cutting out and had been live for about 5 minutes at that point.

I also tried a lot of the suggestions provided, like turning game mode on.
Have not tried running OBS as admin yet since my issue mainly concerns the capture card, not game/window capture. NV12 does not appear as an option anywhere that I've looked so not sure how to change that. I also tried turning hardware decoding on but it seemed to boost the issue further, causing the audio to cut out even more often so I reverted that. Might've been a coincidence but I don't know. Also no idea what mismatched audio sampling means, all I found from googling was going to sound properties and changing the advanced setting "Default Format" to be the same for all my devices, so I did that.

Issue still happens with these changes made so far. Hopefully the log file is proper this time though and could provide more info?

Tomasz Góral

Change grabber, this oldest model have audio problem, newest like: gc553 don't have problems.
I got 3 Live Gamer Portable lite, 2 Live Gamer Portable 2 all with audio cuts. I got gc311 and gc553 this working correctly.