Question / Help Canvas/Output Resolution Mismatch

RoxBox

Hello there! Let me preface this by saying I've been using OBS for just a few hours after noticing some recordings on XSplit had stutters that ruined my footage, so this question may have been answered before (I just didn't know exactly how to look it up around).

So, I am currently working on an archival project to save some Flash Animations before Adobe stops supporting it at the end of next year. These flash animations are on a 650x450 resolution, so I changed the Base (Canvas) Resolution to 650x450, and adjusted the window to capture the Flash' borders perfectly. The issue is that when the Base Resolution changed to 650x450, the Output Resolution switched to 648x450. I assumed this was to keep an Aspect Ratio going, and I decided to change it manually, like I had changed the Base Resolution, to 650x450.

f4e944120e0d6719cadda276f009f200.png

Like so. This seemed to work- Now every time I switch from any resolution to 650x450, the Output matches it without needing to change it manually.

But while this appears correct in the Settings Menu, OBS acts as if the Output were still 648x450. If I initiate a recording, the output file will be 648x450 regardless of what I chose, and even the 'Preview Scaling' insists this is the resolution it wants to use, although in the Settings it keeps saying 650x450.

6dc1268dd015cc8878043329a592aca3.png

6e4e13e4795bf15c6687d0eba4d62f27.png

I've been looking through menus for about an hour now, and I may be missing something EXTREMELY obvious, but it's such a minor, frustrating detail, and I ended up caving in and having to ask. Is there any way to overcome this forced Output Scaling, where the Output matches my Canvas size exactly? Or am I going to have to capture a larger area, and use filters in some combination to get the desired result?

koala

It may be that the encoder requires the horizontal resolution be a multiple of 4. 650 is not a multiple of 4. Why not use a resolution of 652 and add 1 black pixel row to the left and 1 to the right? If black is not the neutral background color you like, add a "Color Source" Source below your flash source that covers the whole canvas and adjust the color accordingly.

RoxBox

It may be that the encoder requires the horizontal resolution be a multiple of 4. 650 is not a multiple of 4. Why not use a resolution of 652 and add 1 black pixel row to the left and 1 to the right? If black is not the neutral background color you like, add a "Color Source" Source below your flash source that covers the whole canvas and adjust the color accordingly.

That's seemed like a good idea if there was no other solution- However, I tried it, and the pixel-ratio in the capture is not perfect, so the color of the borders smears slightly into the animation itself, which ruins what I'm trying to do. Maybe there's some filtering options I can fiddle around with to stop that from happening, but again, I've just started messing with the program, so if I can't get a way to capture 650x450, I'll check around other settings I haven't checked and stuff.