Can OBS WebSocket work with a public IP? If yes, how?

mtoe4503

Hi. I'm having a problem on controlling my friend's OBS (we do need to record multiple people), when I try to connect with my app, but I also tried with other apps, if I use their public IP, it doesn't work, their OBS is fine, the WebSocket server is enabled, correct server port, password, but still nothing to do, I think the problem lies at the firewall level, but I am not sure, does someone know if it's possible to remotely control someone's OBS without the need to be in the same local network?

Harold

You need to port forward, and if you DO port forward, absolutely password protect the control.

mtoe4503

You need to port forward, and if you DO port forward, absolutely password protect the control.
Is there a way to do that without port forwarding? For simplicity It would be a lot better not to go through it, every other app (like Google Chrome) can work without port forwarding, so I'ld like doing the same if possible.

Harold

Google chrome connects to remote services where the remote service has done the port forwarding.
What you want to do either requires port forwarding for the websocket server or requires you to set up a VPN connection between your two networks which will likely also require port forwarding.