Can anyone recommend an external device that captures multiple HDMI inputs that OBS can see?

VegasStreamer

Essentially, I would love to find something like the Blackmagic DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder card, but external. An external HDMI capture device that handles multi-inputs that OBS can see as separate.
I see the Blackmagic ATEM Extreme and other controllers like that, but wouldn't they defeat the purpose of using OBS then. I have a super fast laptop for mobile setups and would love to add a card to takes some pressure off the cpu and also keep me from adding multiple USB hubs (something powered wouldn't hurt either).

Thank you for your thoughts.

Zeros.81

If your laptop has a Thunderbolt port you can go with a Thunderbolt PCIe dock, although this solution is expensive.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
External Thunderbolt enclosure is the way to go. I used a Magewell Quad HDMI card in a Thunderbolt enclosure for years, worked great with 4x HDMI inputs.

VegasStreamer

I heard the card creates a lot of heat too, so I'll need to include a fan in the slot next to it. After buying the enclosure, the card and then losing a slot to the fan. I wonder if its just better to build a new desktop and make it my mobile. Or maybe Blackmagic will roll out something new at NAB this year.

Zeros.81

Elgato has a PCIe card with 4 HDMI inputs, although i haven't tested yet

VegasStreamer

Maybe you want to gamble with this Acasis External 4-channel SDI / HDMI Thunderbolt3 HD Video Live Capture Card

I am using their internal PCIE version and I love it, (I hate the color bars that appear when there is no input signal with one of its channel)
Video color is not exactly the same with an atem mini, but its not far from what you see on the camera.
Yes, I like the idea of this, but need HDMI inputs too. I wish the ATEM Mini Extreme could provide straight through sources for all its hdmi's and SDI's.